DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-27-2013, 06:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport 1500 True Blue
Rep:91
nikeman will become famous soon enough
Default Hazy spots that won't come off?

I have 3 or 4 large spots on my brand new 1 week old truck that I could not scrub off. I thought they were just hand prints but after washing and then scrubbing with detail spray I realized there's more to it. What could this be and how can I get them off? They look just like palm prints. They feel smooth so I'm hoping its not orange peel. Any tips?

I also have a weird looking scratch that's probably from a rock on my back fender. Looks like something kinda bounced on the fender and made little connect the dot scratches. I can feel them with my fingernail so I assume they won't wax out?
Sponsored links
Old 06-27-2013, 06:36 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 sport
Color: BLACK
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:51
Nemmisis1 will become famous soon enough

Take it back ti the dealer let him f up the paint,,, don't do nothing u did what u could...let them take responsibility for the truck.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:43 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:42
IowaRam is on a distinguished road

After I washed mine when I got it home yesterday, I found a film-like something on the hood. When I used quick detailed to clean it, it seemed like it was almost left over from a sticker or something. It took some scrubbing but it came off. I don't see it on the entire truck, but wonder if the truck had a big adhesive wrap on the hood during transfer and it left some residue? Also the wheels have some crap stuck on, bought some stuff today to hopefully clean them.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:08 PM

I feel like these spots can come off and would rather not take it in to the dealer unless it needs to be resprayed. I tried to get pictures but you can't see the spots in them.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:05 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:353
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

Rub your finger nail across the scratch and if it does not "catch" on the scratch it can be corrected. If your nail catches on the scratch then it is to deep and you need to have it touched up. You also might be able to correct the other problems also--can you post a picture of the hazy places?
Jay
Old 06-28-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Ya View Post
Rub your finger nail across the scratch and if it does not "catch" on the scratch it can be corrected. If your nail catches on the scratch then it is to deep and you need to have it touched up. You also might be able to correct the other problems also--can you post a picture of the hazy places?
Jay
My fingernail does catch on the scratch so its to deep. I tried to get pictures of the hazy spots but they won't show up on the camera. They feel smooth so I don't think its orange peel affect. Just go to a dark colored car and lean on the door with your palm for a minute. The spots look like that. I figured someone just leaned on the truck while they were prepping it at the dealership. There are 2 on the drivers side back door and 1 on the passenger side back fender.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:16 PM

There are also 2 spots that look like bumps in the paint perfectly lined up with each other just before the driver side tail light. It's weird because they are smooth yet from an angle it looks like 2 BB's got painted over or something. They would not show up on camera either but I plan to point them out the the dealer when I am there.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:45 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:353
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

Let me make a couple of suggestions if you don't mind. First I would copy this thread and put it over on the "Wash Wax" section. There are a couple of guys over there that are a lot smarter than I am about correcting paint problems and maybe they will chime in. Also you could go to autopia.org and ask your question there. It is a free worldwide professional detailer site that you can ask questions on and they will give you information to try to help. IMHO the last place I would ever take my truck is to a dealership to have them work on the finish. They(most) believe that steel wool and microfiber is the same thing. They will in all likelyhood do much much more damage to your truck than they will help it. This is just my opinion--there are exceptions---but not many.
Jay
Old 06-28-2013, 06:52 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Sport Crew
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:110
RAM SPORT CREW will become famous soon enoughRAM SPORT CREW will become famous soon enough

These hazy spots have been well documented as a problem in the ram's. chuckem had all kinds on his new longhorn, one of the reasons Chrysler took it back and he's getting a new truck. My 2012 sport mineral grey had 2 spots on the hood that were hazy and extremely hard to get to show up in pictures but Chrysler eventually came through and covered a new paint job for my hood. It turned out nicer than factory and I couldn't be happier given the situation I was dealt. I also have a scratch down low behind the passengers rear wheel, I noticed it before I signed the pictures and the dealer wet sanded and buffed it almost out. I could feel it with my fingernail also, that's why I say almost out. It is ever so faint and I wax it enough that you can't notice it.

Basically what I'm saying is that if you have a good dealer they will look after your paint issues, just be assertive and not angry or nasty when dealing with the body shop at your dealer and I found this to be the best way of approaching things.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:57 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Sport Crew
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:110
RAM SPORT CREW will become famous soon enoughRAM SPORT CREW will become famous soon enough

On mine I was told on final inspection it looked like they tried to wet sand a spot on my hood and whoever at the factory burnt through the clear coat and left a "halo" type hazy spot. 2 to be exact, needed a re-spray, but turned out 100%