DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-24-2013, 10:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
deadman inc is on a distinguished road
Default Need a miracle!

Hello people. This is my first post here. I have been having some problems with my truck and a friend of mine told me about this forum and thought i would come on here and get some answers.

Ive owned this Dodge for going 7 years now. This was actually my first Dodge truck. I got a good deal on it and couldnt pass it up. Other than the gas mileage in this truck it has been a damn good truck. It was definitely built on a Wednesday. Ive got 185,000 miles on her and she is still kicking other than the wiring issues im having.

I have been through i swear almost anything in the net that could tell me whats wrong with my truck. Its been giving me some stupid problems. The other day i drove it for about an hour down some back roads. Did just fine. Got home turned it off and started it back up and it would start unless i pushed the gas. Even then when i held the gas the tach would jump up and down like its running out of fuel. Then the gauges would not read like the truck was off then they would come back on. It spits and sputters. Ive done replaced the fuel pump, IACV, air filter, did a tune up, pcv valve and i took the intake and cleaned all through it including the throttle body. Mechanically its running fine but im thinking its the computer but im not sure. I need to get it back on the road. It sat for about 4 weeks cause i needed to take a break on it lol. I have time take it to a shop cause im working hours the shops are closed. If anyone has any idea what is going on would be most appreciated for help. Oh and im sorry if im double posting here.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:23 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2918
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum, neighbor!

With the issues that you are describing, my first guess would be that the computer is stuck in stupid and needs to be changed out. A pricey experiment, but I don't know what other failure would cause these kinds of issues. Keep us posted on how it turns out.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRamJet View Post
Welcome to the forum, neighbor!

With the issues that you are describing, my first guess would be that the computer is stuck in stupid and needs to be changed out. A pricey experiment, but I don't know what other failure would cause these kinds of issues. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

Thats what has been stuck in my mind is a computer. Like you said its stuck on stupid. When it comes to wiring problems i can only go so far with it. I dont have that much patients for it for some reason lol. Is there anything that i can try to figure out if its the computer???
Old 06-25-2013, 01:03 AM
God Bless Texas!

RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman inc View Post
Thats what has been stuck in my mind is a computer. Like you said its stuck on stupid. When it comes to wiring problems i can only go so far with it. I dont have that much patients for it for some reason lol. Is there anything that i can try to figure out if its the computer???
Easiest would be to get a used one from the junk yard. We used to do what's called a tap test. Take the handle of medium sized screw driver and, while cranking the engine, tap on the computer. If it fixes the issues, then you know you've got a bad computer.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRamJet View Post
Easiest would be to get a used one from the junk yard. We used to do what's called a tap test. Take the handle of medium sized screw driver and, while cranking the engine, tap on the computer. If it fixes the issues, then you know you've got a bad computer.
Thats where it gets complicated cause the truck only does it when it wants to. I have gone out to junk yards and searched and search and all i came up with was one that had a different motor in it. Im goin to tinker with it some more this weekend and see what i can come up with again. Who knows....
Old 06-26-2013, 01:04 AM
God Bless Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman inc View Post
Thats where it gets complicated cause the truck only does it when it wants to. I have gone out to junk yards and searched and search and all i came up with was one that had a different motor in it. Im goin to tinker with it some more this weekend and see what i can come up with again. Who knows....
Who knows... Ain't that the truth! Well, my friend, hopefully your tinkering will render itself useful and find/fix this issue. Let me know how it's going. Best of luck!
Old 06-26-2013, 01:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:123
1stRAM2012 will become famous soon enough1stRAM2012 will become famous soon enough

Do you have a check engine light? If so you can use a diagnostics computer to figure it out . The only reason I say this is before i spend money on a computer i would want to make sure its not the MAF or the Fuel Filter. also i know you said you did a tune up are the spark plugs gaped properly. Im not saying this to insult anyone's intelligence by any means just like to start off with the smallest things first and when i have issues i tend to overlook them on my own. as far as the guages it may be that the issues with your engine and dash are seperate. i dont know what electrical issues you were having prior to this so i couldnt tell you....just less expensive options to explore.

MODS in profile
Old 06-26-2013, 04:24 PM
God Bless Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stRAM2012 View Post
Do you have a check engine light? If so you can use a diagnostics computer to figure it out . The only reason I say this is before i spend money on a computer i would want to make sure its not the MAF or the Fuel Filter. also i know you said you did a tune up are the spark plugs gaped properly. Im not saying this to insult anyone's intelligence by any means just like to start off with the smallest things first and when i have issues i tend to overlook them on my own. as far as the guages it may be that the issues with your engine and dash are seperate. i dont know what electrical issues you were having prior to this so i couldnt tell you....just less expensive options to explore.
Can't disagree with him. It's never an bad idea to start and look at the small things.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:30 PM

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Lariat
Color: Blue-ish
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:118
DRX350 will become famous soon enoughDRX350 will become famous soon enough

My truck did a similar thing, it was the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS).
Old 07-19-2013, 08:43 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT QC 4x4
Color: Mineral grey
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:109
Simple guy will become famous soon enoughSimple guy will become famous soon enough

In my experience, a bad ground is known to cause weird/difficult electrical issues. check a ground didn't get loosened up on your back road driving? Also hair line fractures in circuit boards cause weird symptoms.