DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-26-2013, 02:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 dodge ram sport
Trim Level: sport
Color: white
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
68gtx is on a distinguished road
Default 2013 ram xm to sirius?????

I have been a Sirius subscriber for years now and just bought my first new truck a 2013 ram sport which comes with xm ... well here in northern Canada nobody uses xm because it cuts out so much,, the Sirius satellite is further north than the xm, is there any way to switch my truck over to Sirius., I called xm and they said no! they are talking about merging the sateelites but don't know when.. with the gm trucks you can buy a aftermarket module that does the job and everything looks stock , just tunes to Sirius instead of xm... I was told the 2012's were Sirius , are there any parts that are interchangeable?it cuts out so bad that if you are passing buildings or trees that are to the south it cuts out
Sponsored links
Old 06-26-2013, 02:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 8-speed
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:883
RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold

I thought it was all called Sirius XM now?

I know that the letter I got in the mail welcoming me was from Sirius??
Old 06-26-2013, 02:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:10
MaxSteel13 is on a distinguished road

Hey 68gtx

Im the service manager at Frontier Chrysler in Smithers. I have many customers that complain about the same thing, myself being one of them. I too own a 2013 and find it cuts out lots as well. I have the uconneect 8.4A in my truck and performed an update to it this evening. The update does not state that there is anything different for sat radio, but you never know. I frequent the Hazelton area and travel to Terrace about once a month or so (wal-mart run) and its just about useless on that trip. Ill be opening up a star-case with Chrysler Techline in the very near future and hope to have some kind of answer soon for a solution. Fingers crossed!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:50 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Longhorn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Red
Rep:55
Bruce E will become famous soon enough

I don't like the sound of this. I have a 2010 TRX right now with serius satilite and the new 2013 Longhorn coming in any day now and I just assumed it was still Serius so I would be able to roll my current contract onto the new truck.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:04 AM

Vehicle: Ram
Rep:76
Grimass will become famous soon enough

Actually -- Sirius Sat FM-6 is supposed to launch at the end of July. This _SHOULD_ fix these issues. This satellite will broadcast on both XM and Sirius freq's.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:47
shaner82 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce E View Post
I don't like the sound of this. I have a 2010 TRX right now with serius satilite and the new 2013 Longhorn coming in any day now and I just assumed it was still Serius so I would be able to roll my current contract onto the new truck.
You'll get your first year of SiriusXM for free, so you won't have to worry about contracts.

I also wouldn't worry about signal quality, Elliott Lake isn't very far up north by any means, your signal should be just fine
Old 06-26-2013, 09:35 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Longhorn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Red
Rep:55
Bruce E will become famous soon enough

I like that " Elliott Lake isn't very far up north by any means". Your right it's not, but if you talk to someone south of Barrie and it's like I'm at the end of the world. Ontario is a big place, lots more north past where I am. My concern was if it's XM instead of Sirius I'm wondering if I'll have an issue. Serius has already informed me that they will tack my current subscription onto the end of whatever freeby I get from dodge.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:47
shaner82 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce E View Post
I like that " Elliott Lake isn't very far up north by any means". Your right it's not, but if you talk to someone south of Barrie and it's like I'm at the end of the world. Ontario is a big place, lots more north past where I am. My concern was if it's XM instead of Sirius I'm wondering if I'll have an issue. Serius has already informed me that they will tack my current subscription onto the end of whatever freeby I get from dodge.
I wouldn't worry about the signal. I've been to Sudbury before and had no issues with the signal. The OP is much, much further north than you are.

You're right though, those in the GTA seem to think that the Canadian Rockies begin just north of Wonderland and that it's too cold and remote to live up there
Old 06-26-2013, 10:11 AM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Cherry Red
Rep:465
Monster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimass View Post
Actually -- Sirius Sat FM-6 is supposed to launch at the end of July. This _SHOULD_ fix these issues. This satellite will broadcast on both XM and Sirius freq's.
FM-6 is a geostationary satellite so us folks far north from the equator are still stuck with the same issue, the geostationary birds are close to the horizon and the farther north you go, the closer to the horizon they get. Geostationary satellites are 31 degrees above the horizon where I live.

Even though the new bird has twice the transmit power in db, dbs are logarithmic, the receiver will see little signal gain. They would need to double the transmit power three times before a significant gain is seen by a receiver. At these frequencies, it is all about line of sight between the transmitter and the receiving antenna.

http://www.satbeams.com/satellites?id=2553
Old 06-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: Soon? '14 Ram 1500 ED
Rep:13
QuickSilv3r is on a distinguished road

and for anyone wondering on the 'company', Sirius and XM merged as an entity, but kept their billing, satellites, radios and some programming separate due to licensing agreements (hence why you get football on XM IF you buy the 'best of sirius package' but you don't get MLB on Sirius if you buy the best of XM package, just O&A and Oprah.

The radio in the '13 is a SiriusXM branded module, but it uses the XM satellites and radio components to operate. it is essentially XM. if you owned 2 trucks, a '12 ram and a '13 ram, you cannot combine a 2013 radio in your 2012 radio billing (2012=sirius, 13=xm) and need to have 2 separate accounts...

hence our great white north neighbors having issues with signal... hopefully there will be a fix like the GM module.
I have 3 sirius radios at the moment and will use one of my portable ones on a car kit in the RAM rather than pay for the XM service for the factor radio...