DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:18
rjmlakota is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce E View Post
Elliott Lake
Ah - Elliott Lake! I'm from NY.... Made many trips there to ATV!! I miss those days.....

I just got back from a fly-in fishing trip around Wawa. I drove through Barrie north to Sudbury then headed west on 17. I had not issues with satellite reception. Worked perfectly all the way to Hawk Junction.
Sponsored links
Old 06-26-2013, 11:57 AM

Vehicle: Ram
Rep:76
Grimass will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster5601 View Post
FM-6 is a geostationary satellite so us folks far north from the equator are still stuck with the same issue, the geostationary birds are close to the horizon and the farther north you go, the closer to the horizon they get. Geostationary satellites are 31 degrees above the horizon where I live.

Even though the new bird has twice the transmit power in db, dbs are logarithmic, the receiver will see little signal gain. They would need to double the transmit power three times before a significant gain is seen by a receiver. At these frequencies, it is all about line of sight between the transmitter and the receiving antenna.

http://www.satbeams.com/satellites?id=2553
From how it was explained to me, the new sat will exceed what XM offered Canada. But, at the same time, I know this sat has had a ton of technical issues, so who knows what is actually going to happen. This is why I stressed "POSSIBLY" ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilv3r View Post
and for anyone wondering on the 'company', Sirius and XM merged as an entity, but kept their billing, satellites, radios and some programming separate due to licensing agreements (hence why you get football on XM IF you buy the 'best of sirius package' but you don't get MLB on Sirius if you buy the best of XM package, just O&A and Oprah.

The radio in the '13 is a SiriusXM branded module, but it uses the XM satellites and radio components to operate. it is essentially XM. if you owned 2 trucks, a '12 ram and a '13 ram, you cannot combine a 2013 radio in your 2012 radio billing (2012=sirius, 13=xm) and need to have 2 separate accounts...

hence our great white north neighbors having issues with signal... hopefully there will be a fix like the GM module.
I have 3 sirius radios at the moment and will use one of my portable ones on a car kit in the RAM rather than pay for the XM service for the factor radio...
They have FINALLY fixed the billing issues. If you call you can get your accounts merged. I have 4 open accounts between Sirius and XM -- and finally got them merged into a single account.

Also, it seems they have moved their customer support back to the US. It's exponentially easier to get stuff done now.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:28 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Hemi 5.7L w/8 Speed
Color: Copperhead Pearlcoat
Rep:54
The Crow 1994 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimass View Post
They have FINALLY fixed the billing issues. If you call you can get your accounts merged. I have 4 open accounts between Sirius and XM -- and finally got them merged into a single account.

Also, it seems they have moved their customer support back to the US. It's exponentially easier to get stuff done now.
I just did this via the "Chat" feature online. Worked well, only took about 5 minutes.

Getting ready to sign up for another 5 months to a year on my wife's 2010 Equinox, depending on what kind of offers XM is willing to throw at me.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:34 PM

Vehicle: Ram
Rep:76
Grimass will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow 1994 View Post
I just did this via the "Chat" feature online. Worked well, only took about 5 minutes.

Getting ready to sign up for another 5 months to a year on my wife's 2010 Equinox, depending on what kind of offers XM is willing to throw at me.
Keep a lil pressure on them. I have always been able to get discounts...
Old 06-26-2013, 12:39 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Hemi 5.7L w/8 Speed
Color: Copperhead Pearlcoat
Rep:54
The Crow 1994 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimass View Post
Keep a lil pressure on them. I have always been able to get discounts...
I hear ya. Usually, the three strikes - you're out rule applies to extending their service.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:21 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 8-speed
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:883
RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce E View Post
I like that " Elliott Lake isn't very far up north by any means". Your right it's not, but if you talk to someone south of Barrie and it's like I'm at the end of the world. Ontario is a big place, lots more north past where I am. My concern was if it's XM instead of Sirius I'm wondering if I'll have an issue. Serius has already informed me that they will tack my current subscription onto the end of whatever freeby I get from dodge.
No Elliott Lake may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from there!! LOL...... Just Kidding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner82 View Post
I wouldn't worry about the signal. I've been to Sudbury before and had no issues with the signal. The OP is much, much further north than you are.

You're right though, those in the GTA seem to think that the Canadian Rockies begin just north of Wonderland and that it's too cold and remote to live up there
CLASSIC, but true!!!

Both you guys make me laugh, but you are correct there is a huge percentage of people that don't get too far out of the GTA.

However getting back to the signal strength issue, I've been a Sirius subscriber for about 7+ years now, and I get a good signal all the way up to places like Temiskaming, and Gowganda, and even as far as Timmins.

Now up until my Chrysler 200 and my Ram 1500, my Sirius was a stand alone unit, and would run into some poorer signals every now and again.

I would just simply change the band that the signal was set to, and then resume listening with the same quality as before.

When I got closer to the big smoke, I would simply change my band back to what it was all would be great.

I don't know if or how we can change the band on our trucks, but perhaps that could fix the problem?

Now I will say that even in Toronto there are places that my signal just drop out......like near the CN Tower / Sky Dome area......or Roger's Centre I guess it's called now day.

Try that and see if it makes a difference.......if you can?
Old 06-26-2013, 08:25 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: White
Rep:14
kev12345 is on a distinguished road

I'm in the vancouver area and my truck has lost the signal more times than I can remember. The stations also disappear and I have to go to the xm website and refresh my radio to get service again. I've had to do this 3 times in the 2 months that I've had my truck. I get the feeling it has to do with Uconnect. The thing has been buggy since day one. Random freezes and shutdowns. Love my truck but Uconnect and sat radio are driving me nuts.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 dodge ram sport
Trim Level: sport
Color: white
Rep:10
68gtx is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down update

well I phoned dodge Canada today the 1800 complian line and was really impressed with the answer and customer service I got !! when I told the lady on the line of my issue of poor reception, she was aware of the problem and then proceded to tell me the it is not dodges problem,, that my problem is with xm not dodge.and that I should call xm and complain to them..i procedded to tell her that my 50 thousand dollar dodge truck was built with a crappy xm receiver in it which dodge signed a deal with xm to get coverage and if I cant get signal it is there problem , she disagreed and told me to have a nice day... wow , totally impressed. you know if I would have know about this before I bought my truck , it might have been a deal breaker!!! as much as I love my truck this really disappoints me , and all I can say about the customer help line is wow ! really?
Old 06-28-2013, 10:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Cherry
Rep:10
AF-hemi is on a distinguished road

i thought XM bought sirius or sirius bought XM...one or the other. either way I thought it was all the same company/satellites now. No?
Old 06-29-2013, 02:36 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 8-speed
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:883
RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF-hemi View Post
i thought XM bought sirius or sirius bought XM...one or the other. either way I thought it was all the same company/satellites now. No?
Taken from Wikipedia...................

Sirius XM Radio Inc. is an American broadcasting company that provides two satellite radio services operating in the United States, Sirius Satellite Radio and XM Satellite Radio. The company also has a Canadian subsidiary called Sirius XM Canada, an affiliate company that provides Sirius and XM service in Canada. The company in its current incarnation was formed after the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) approved the acquisition of XM Satellite Radio Holding, Inc. by Sirius Satellite Radio, Inc. on July 29, 2008, 17 months after the companies first proposed the merger.[4] The merger brought the combined companies a total of more than 18.5 million subscribers based on current subscriber numbers on the date of merging.[4] The deal was valued at $3.3 billion, not including debt.[5] As of Q1 2013, Sirius XM has a total of 24.4 million subscribers.[6]
The proposed merger was opposed by those who felt a merger would create a monopoly. Sirius and XM argued that a merger was the only way satellite radio could survive.[5]

Canadian Counterparts

In Canada, Sirius Canada and XM Canada are partially owned by Sirius XM (20% and 23.3% respectively) in joint ventures with Canadian companies.[69] After the US merger, the two Canadian ventures did not immediately agree to a similar merger, but instead remained in competition as distinct services.[70] Complicating matters was that Sirius Canada has nearly 80% of the total satellite radio subscriber base in that country, and felt they deserved greater than a 50/50 split of the new company, whereas XM Canada felt that their deal with the NHL a particularly lucrative prize in Canadian sports broadcasting also warranted a significant amount of value in the new company.[70]
On November 24, 2010, XM Radio Canada and Sirius Canada announced that they would merge their services.[71] On April 12, 2011, the CRTC approved the companies' merger into Sirius XM Canada.[72] John Bitove's Canadian Satellite Radio Holdings Inc., the licensee of XM Canada, gained a 30% share in the new company as its primary and controlling shareholder, while Slaight Communications and the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, the current owners of Sirius Canada, each retained 20% ownership. Sirius XM's American parent company would hold 25%.[46] The merger was completed on June 21, 2011.[73]