DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Console Vault Installed - Full Floor Console

8K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  RPM666 
#1 ·
Received the Console Vault today and decided to install in the 100+ degree Texas heat.

While ordering you can choose between 3 lock options, Barrel key, 3-digit combo, or 4-digit combo. For some reason I thought it said 4-digit digital combo, meaning without looking I could press the buttons in a specific order, open the safe, and shoot the crap out of you.

This is not the case, it's just an extra digit on a simple combination lock.

The unit is advertised as a simple install that takes 10-15 minutes. You simply set the combination (extremely easy) and set the unit into your console. It comes with 4 "self-tapping" screws that you screw into the ABS plastic of your console from within the vault.

Sounds easy. It's not. The "self-tapping" screws don't really tap themselves, rather, just move the plastic away. So my little brain thought - C-Clamp, more pressure for the screw to have against the plastic.

Nope.

So I pre-drilled the areas using the vault as a template after about 20 minutes of awkward bent wrist agonizing twisting.This made the install more plausible and "simple".

The vault.

The Victim

Drop the vault in.

Begin to screw in screws per instructions

:stupid:

:stupideverywhere:

Drill it like it owes you money.

Screw it again.

Profit!

Seems pretty secure. Enough space for important things like the VMDS :smileup:

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm more interested in seeing what's going inside the vault. Gawd I love Texas! Nice job on the install. We need to get together and compare... notes. Yeah, that's it... notes. See you around town, Dood!

#4 ·
I hear they're working on one for the 13's.

I'm more interested in seeing what's going inside the vault. Gawd I love Texas! Nice job on the install. We need to get together and compare... notes. Yeah, that's it... notes. See you around town, Dood!
We need to setup a bi-weekly meet at BJ's or something.

#8 · (Edited)
Pistol, Radar Detector, misc, etc. Things that can be easily removed by shattering a window that are of a higher dollar value.

#10 ·
Did I tell you how much I love Texas? More importantly, I love my neighbors who are ready to defend themselves and their family, and practice safe 2nd amendment rights. Thanks for sharing, RPM!

#12 ·
#14 ·
See if your model is listed! I believe it is...

Also, save yourself the extra $35 and just get the 3 button combo lock.

http://www.consolevault.com/dodge.html
Hmmmm...

I saw the 2013-2014 1500/2500 listing that said you could go on the waiting list.

Then right beside it, I just noticed after you said that you think it is there, the 2009-2013 2500/3500. I may not have to wait :smileup:

#15 ·
Maybe I'm missing something, but that 4 digit combo lock seems it would be awfully clumsy if you were to find yourself in a situation you felt you needed a firearm.

It's a really cool mod regardless. Nice work.

#16 · (Edited)
Unlocked while driving - just have to turn the black dial and it pops right open.

The other alternative (what I'm currently working on) is finding a proper holster that I can mount near my right knee for when driving. I have a standard inside pant belt holster for my smaller 9mm but I'd really like to have my full size XD. 17rds are better than 7rds.

Would you mind doing a bullet test on the safe lock and post pics please??

Oh and dont worry about uninstalling safe before the bullet test, just keep it in the consule and
As for the bullet test, I don't believe a 124gr JHP round is going to make it through the 12 gauge steel, it's designed to kill you and stay in you properly delivering every pound of energy in one horrific destructive force and not travel through the intended target.

The safe also isn't going to heat up enough to cook the round into ignition. Primer wouldn't detonate until 400 degrees, standard powder until about 350, and the lead at probably 627 degrees F.

If I needed a bullet to travel through a person, or a few, I would use something slightly more powerful that would not fit in the little safe - but would easily go through it.

I'm not crazy.....just....Texan :p

#18 ·
I need one of these. I use to lock my gun and other stuff in my ram boxes on my 09. My 13 doesn't have and so this would work great for keeping my stuff locked away. I also love TX and there very gun friendly laws.

#26 ·
I know you said you wanted your xd by your right knee, but the closest thing i could find to satisfy my needs was this: http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SERPA-CQC-wMatte-Finish,1145,1410.htm

I have the paddle attachment on the back and it clips perfectly on the passenger side of the the shifter console, its extremely easy to reach and with the push of a button you have the pistol in your hand. I considered getting a left hand holster strictly so it would clip on by the right knee but it would be to cumbersome to try and press the button in order to release the weapon

#27 ·
I actually picked up something very similar that does not have a button release, but, I need to find it in left handed to mount near the knee. Having it on the passenger side would probably make the wife uncomfortable.

Gun doesn't scare her but she's one who would also worry about an asteroid or comet hitting the highway right where we would be driving. Also, she's pregnant - passenger side is out lol.

I looked at mounting on the door for a "across the waist" draw - but decided against it.

#29 · (Edited)
I fought trying to decide how to carry a pistol in my 2012 QC. I looked at the safe the OP installed, the Blackhawk on the side of my console and a few other things....

I ended up going with these guys.

http://www.gumcreekcustoms.com/cart.html

It puts my .45 right where it needs to be, its not in the way or cumbersome and it can hold any of my pistols.

#30 · (Edited)
Yeah I think that's getting ordered now.

Edit - this just got bought!

#35 ·
Drill it like it owes you money.
:LOL: Thanks for the laugh! I was reading through your post, taking mental notes and such and then you come out with this!? I cannot tell you how hard I laughed -- think I sprayed spit on my laptop screen!

Seriously though -- I have been intrigued with these console (and the glove box and rear floor storage) lock ideas lately, but find it difficult to rationalize purchasing and installing one. I don't yet have my CCP but with auto break-ins apparently on the rise in my small town it seems this fall may be a good time to go and get it.

I was even pricing out gun racks and slips for the back of the cab and the backside of the front seats for hunting season in a few months. So that steering column holster made me drool! How slick is that!? Another item added to my 'Mod Wishlist'.

Other than the screws (I'm laughing again.. doh!), was this installation all that difficult? It appears you would lose a great deal of the existing storage space.. how many things can you actually fit in there now? I do not carry much in my console as it is, it being an awkward design and all.

#37 ·
Installation was not difficult, just time consuming at a few points. Storage capacity is lowered, but still very usable. Right now it's just holding my radar detector, Springfield XD9 + 5 extra loaded mags, and my single stack DVD collection. I am thinking of building a little internal compartment to hold each item within it to further maximize storage though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.