DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Sport
Rep:23
VegasR1 is on a distinguished road
Default newbie RamBox/BakFlip/bed extender questions and opnions needed

Ok guys so I'm getting ready to order a 2014 sport Crew/4x4/8-speed and cannot decide whether or not I want RamBox. I know I wanted a lockable, folding tonneau cover. I figure I wont be using the bed for anything large 60% of the time and the gas mileage increase should more than pay it off over the life of the truck. Been doing some research on covers and so far the BakFlip is my fave. Well if the entire bed is lockable (tailgate is integrated into the main lock system) then why do I need the little lockable compartments on the side? The only answers I could come up with were the really nice bed extender/divider included with RamBox and the possibility of having a built-in beer cooler. So check out the photos in the attached word doc. The back seat appears to have flush mounted coolers built into the floor. Is this standard on all crew cabs? So if I'm not gonna need the RamBox to lock up my guns after a trip to the desert and I have another secret beer storage location; why do I need to pay $1200 for the RamBox? Not to mention I gain back a little storage space in the bed without it. Any thoughts? How do our RamBox owners use their compartments? What about bed extenders? Does Ram offer a nice bed extender like the one included with RamBox? Which extenders are all the non-RamBox owners using? What about the BakFlip owners out there?

Thanks guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ram storage3.jpg (51.8 KB, 44 views)
Attached Files
File Type: docx ram storage.docx (1.16 MB, 7 views)
Sponsored links
Old 07-01-2013, 04:44 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:70
edge35 will become famous soon enough

I have the BakFlip Fibermax and I'm so glad I got a BakFlip for my Ram. I love being able to take my family camping and being able to stop at a restaurant or something on the way and not worry about coming out to find all my stuff missing. And with the power locks on the tailgate I don't have to worry about using a key to lock and unlock the back, which makes it much less likely that I'll forget.

The quality of the BakFlip is great and I didn't have any issues installing it. My 9 year old stands on it all the time and it is no worse for the wear. A little bit of water gets into the bed when I run my truck through the carwash but not much (although I did cover the stake pocket holes), so my stuff also stays dry.

I also have the Mopar Bed Extender (pic below) and have been pretty happy with it. The main reason I had the dealer add it on was for groceries. I put some carabiners (for some reason I had them removed when I took the picture below) on it so we can clip our plastic grocery bags to them and drive home without all of our food scattered throughout the bed. The nice thing is that it's really easy to take off so if I ever need to use the entire bed for something it's not a hassle.

Since I don't have a Rambox I really can't speak much to that, except to say that I secretly have Rambox envy. When I bought Elsie the trucks in my area all seemed to be equipped in one of two ways: with Rambox and no air suspension or they had air suspension and no Rambox. I chose the latter though I sometimes wish I'd have gone with the Rambox and no air suspension. I think it would be really handy for jumper cables and all that misc. stuff that everyone should keep in their vehicle. For that I added the BakBox to my BakFlip and it does a great job but the Rambox would be more convenient since I wouldn't have to hear my son laughing at me as I try and climb into the bed of the truck.

My crew cab does have the little storage areas under the rear floor mats and they will certainly store handguns in a pinch, though the don't lock so be careful there. I imagine they could also be used as coolers but I don't think they have drain plugs so I guess you'd have to get the water from the melted ice out manually.

EDIT: I just looked at the floor storage compartments and realized there's actually a little bucket inside the storage compartment, making it easy to dump out if it's full of water. Learn something new everyday...

6 speed (although the 65RFE is really a 5 speed), 3.55, air suspension, anti-spin, 20" Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires (aka crap), sunroof, Bakflip Fibermax & BakBox, bed extender, 8.4AN, black/cattle tan interior

Last edited by edge35; 07-01-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:42 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Maximum Steel
Rep:89
Breathing Borla will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasR1 View Post
Ok guys so I'm getting ready to order a 2014 sport Crew/4x4/8-speed and cannot decide whether or not I want RamBox. I know I wanted a lockable, folding tonneau cover. I figure I wont be using the bed for anything large 60% of the time and the gas mileage increase should more than pay it off over the life of the truck. Been doing some research on covers and so far the BakFlip is my fave. Well if the entire bed is lockable (tailgate is integrated into the main lock system) then why do I need the little lockable compartments on the side? The only answers I could come up with were the really nice bed extender/divider included with RamBox and the possibility of having a built-in beer cooler. So check out the photos in the attached word doc. The back seat appears to have flush mounted coolers built into the floor. Is this standard on all crew cabs? So if I'm not gonna need the RamBox to lock up my guns after a trip to the desert and I have another secret beer storage location; why do I need to pay $1200 for the RamBox? Not to mention I gain back a little storage space in the bed without it. Any thoughts? How do our RamBox owners use their compartments? What about bed extenders? Does Ram offer a nice bed extender like the one included with RamBox? Which extenders are all the non-RamBox owners using? What about the BakFlip owners out there?

Thanks guys!
I love the rambox. It holds way more stuff than the little compartments under the rear floor. They can also hold dirty stuff as you can just hose them out. I have tons of my work stuff in there and it basically replaces the need for a bed mounted toolbox. I also have the F1 BAK

2013 Ram Sport Crew 4x4, 5.7, 8-speed, 3.92, Borla
2010 LTD Tundra DC, 4x4 RW Wheels 33" Cooper Maxx
2001 tundra, 2000 tundra
1995.5 Tacoma, 1997 Tacoma, 1998 Tacoma
Old 07-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport 1500 ordered
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Rep:10
DrAudio is on a distinguished road

I have had my Ram Sport one week. Love the RamBox on mine. No regrets. Installed a Bakflip VP yesterday and it looks sharp! It has vinyl covering the seams/hinges.
I'll try to post a pic.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:30 PM

thanks guys for all the info and advice. Keep it coming
Old 07-01-2013, 11:00 PM

edge, can you post more pics of your truck? I'm ordering white and wanna see how it looks with all this stuff. Is that the factory spray in bed liner or did you opt for an aftermarket application?
Old 07-01-2013, 11:08 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

OP

When you decide which bed cover you want to go with reach out to me if it is before the 4th you will get it at 5% over cost which is huge savings!

Thanks
Jeremiah
Bully's Peformance

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Old 07-01-2013, 11:14 PM

Will do. thanks for the heads up
Old 07-01-2013, 11:16 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Breathing Borla,

What is the grommet and tubing inside one corner of your Rambox compartments for?

Grub out!
Old 07-01-2013, 11:42 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn 4x4
Color: White
Rep:70
edge35 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasR1 View Post
edge, can you post more pics of your truck? I'm ordering white and wanna see how it looks with all this stuff. Is that the factory spray in bed liner or did you opt for an aftermarket application?
I think this link should work for pics. There's probably a few in there that are close-ups of of the GPS screen...ignore those. They were for explaining to the service manager what was wrong with my first radio.

The bedliner is the factory spray in bedliner. Seems decent enough, though I'm hardly an expert on bedliners. I've never had them in previous vehicles...this one just happened to have it.

http://m1345.photobucket.com/albums/edge035/Elsie/
6 speed (although the 65RFE is really a 5 speed), 3.55, air suspension, anti-spin, 20" Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires (aka crap), sunroof, Bakflip Fibermax & BakBox, bed extender, 8.4AN, black/cattle tan interior