DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - News Desk > Automotive Industry News and Dodge Press Releases

Notices

Automotive Industry News and Dodge Press Releases News regarding the Dodge Ram and other industry info. Post it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobred View Post
it was never a question about the 6.4 being an improvement over the 5.7, I know its gonna do a better job. The question I have is why did they friggin cut its ballz off by that much. Its power that's already there, right or wrong. Is it because the HD 6 speed tranny cant take it? I don't know, do you. I still havent figured out why our fellow HD members didn't get the 8 speed before the 1500s. Lets see what this tranny can do! Put it thru the wringer, towing, hauling the BIG stuff.. test this bish you know Its costs I know.. but who's? I agree longevity is key, something I need to look into myself since I drive so many miles
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...e0+PRN20130628
I'm feel the same way you do about neutering the engine, but I think the 66RFE transmission is going to do okay. I'm also one of the 1% that prefer power and performance in a truck but I think it's much higher than that.
Sponsored links
Old 07-07-2013, 02:53 PM

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Lariat
Color: Blue-ish
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:118
DRX350 will become famous soon enoughDRX350 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
I'm feel the same way you do about neutering the engine, but I think the 66RFE transmission is going to do okay. I'm also one of the 1% that prefer power and performance in a truck but I think it's much higher than that.
Why did they reduce the power, simple; reliability, less stress on the internal components = longer life.

Why a 6 speed, a big motor doesn't need that many gears, and as a work truck, the transmission WILL fail eventually, and a 6 speed will be far cheaper to rebuild.

Many medium duty trucks with 1000ft-lbs use 5 or 6 speed automatics...
Old 07-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

6.4L dyno run, 2012 Charger SRT8

Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 07-07-2013, 05:46 PM

Vehicle: sold* 10' R/T... 13' R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:142
autobred will become famous soon enoughautobred will become famous soon enough

EXACTLY... look at that gorgeous torque curve
Now why on earth would they wanna cut its nutz off, then put it into a 2000lb heavier vehicle. So it will last longer?? Guess these SRT owners absolutely don't rev the piss out of their SRT motors and expect to have the same warranty as everybody else. The new 6.2 vette motor I believe is detuned by 30 hp but kept the same tq rating of 450, dropping it right in their truck.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:46 PM

RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRX350 View Post
Why did they reduce the power, simple; reliability, less stress on the internal components = longer life.
I can sum this up in two words...cheap bastards. Chrysler uses 4130 rods and crank instead of 4340 in this engine, why...because they are cheap bastards. Why they're using the 6 speed over the 8 speed even though I think it will work...because they are cheap bastards. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that longer strokes produce more torque. And if you've done your homework everyone should know that the 392 intake uses active runners good for both high and low end torque. This is the reason why I say to people using the 392 in their truck to try and use the intake as well. None the less the SRT 392 uses the Apache heads with the valves discribed in this video. Do you actually think that Chrysler is going to use these same heads on the 2500 ram truck? I doubt it very seriously, why...do I have to tell you? Let's se a video of the engine going in the 2500 trucks. If it's just a compression drop then it's not going to be a big deal. There are ways to make for that. Point is, that's a lot of hp difference...430 would have been okay, but 410 geezem. EDIT: I meant to say people using the 392 cam in their 5.7 should try use the intake...not that you could but they go hand in hand.

Last edited by RadioFlyer; 07-07-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:37 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Geeze guys...

The HD 6 speed transmission is an awesome transmission, it's the 66rfe. I'd rather have that than the 8 speed. You're only looking at paper info, not real world info. The 6 speed is much stronger(essentially the same trans as the 68rfe that's behind the diesels) and has a great gear ratio spread. It actually has a numerically lower final ratio so has the potential to get better mpg than the 8 speed. These are just facts.

I was just making a point about the 1%. I know there are performance oriented people and I want performance too. But I don't blame ram for making the engine have peak torque at a lower rpm(which equates to less peak hp on paper) so it can be a tow/haul rig first. It's just like people claiming the new v6 is equal to the 4.7L because it makes nearly the same peak hp. But they don't look at the difference in torque or the rpms the power is being made. That's why the 4.7L has a significantly higher towing capacity than the v6. Neither are bad and neither are the best in the world, they just have different characteristics, but to say they are equal because of a peak hp number is not accurate.

The majority of buyers out there aren't looking for the fastest accelerating truck. Especially a HD truck. Yeah there's a lot of performance oriented truck guys on here but most of them don't actually spend their money on more than intake, exhaust, and tuner.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.

Last edited by snrusnak; 07-08-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:03 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

how does this 6.4 compare ford and chevy bigger v8s?
Old 07-09-2013, 06:23 PM

heres whats available for the 1/2 ton trucks..just not understanding what Mopar is doing they are gonna put this 6.4 in a dualie or any HD for that matter that makes max torque at 4000 rpm. Just going by the graph up top with the SRT 6.4 at 470/470 its making around 320wtq to the wheels at 15% drivetrain loss at around 2200rpms. Now they are gonna put a neutered 6.4 410/425 or whatever in a dualie with a 6 speed. I almost bet that 6.4 is making at top gear with that 6 speed around 220wtq (25% drivetrain loss) or so at 1800rpm cruising speed.. Now they are gonna put a diesel in a 1500 with an 8 speed. I can almost guarantee its gonna make 95% of its torque by 1800rpm or less..just doesn't make sense LOL. Ass backwards but I'll let the engineers on here explain it to me better. A truck sold, is a truck sold, why is Mopar fcukin with us.... it will sell regardless. why couldn't they put the affordable diesel option to the cummins in the HD first..and the 6.4 in the 1500s

Last edited by autobred; 07-09-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Do you guys think the people designing these vehicles are custom making them for YOU?
How many times am I going to have to repost this? They are not doing this for us, they're doing it for what they think is going to make them more money. Regardless of the cosequences, and regardless of how slow it's going to be compared the the other HD big V8's. In other words, they don't give a rats a$$ how we feel. If you buy one you may as well paint the truck pink and put a dress on it, lol!
Old 07-09-2013, 07:24 PM

that sucks...

This is what I asked myself
1. did the 4.7 take sales from the 5.7? not according to these threads
2. what will attract more buyers to Mopar? they friggin offer in HD not one but 2 diesels!

the low rpm torque belongs to the HD platform.
Ecoboost owners is dealing with that now. They realize though they have the lowend torque but still cant buy that fine 5th wheel trailer they always wanted because the payload capacity isn't up to snuff. That's what's gonna happen in the 1500 Ram, I see it already. Smaller affordable high mpg diesel 8 speed in an HD will sell like hotcakes!
That's it, somebody's fired! LOL

Last edited by autobred; 07-09-2013 at 07:28 PM.