DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - News Desk > Automotive Industry News and Dodge Press Releases
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Automotive Industry News and Dodge Press Releases News regarding the Dodge Ram and other industry info. Post it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Just something else to keep in mind the drivetrain loss should not be looked at as a percentage. Since it's the same drivetrain it's the same loss, not same percent. Just because you add power at the input of the transmission doesn't mean you lose more on the output. I'm not sure what the drivetrain loss is on the 66rfe but if it's similar to the 65rfe in the ram 1500's it's roughly 90-100hp loss. So it will be 90-100hp loss to the wheels whether it's behind the 5.7L or 6.4L, assuming no other changes to the transmission, etc.

Radio, I'm not sure what you are asking of me. I agree they want to make money. I just don't think they are doing this to F with you guys. Just about every truck engine is always "neutered" as you guys are saying. They always change the cam profile, intake and exhaust manifold runner length and size, head characteristics, etc. Usually this results in less peak hp but more low end torque.

Am I wrong that the 6.4L is only going in the HD trucks? That's what I thought I read earlier in the thread but it looks like in some of the latest posts you guys mention it in the 1500 trucks.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 07-09-2013, 10:17 PM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post

Radio, I'm not sure what you are asking of me. I agree they want to make money. I just don't think they are doing this to F with you guys.
I'm not asking you anything and I don't think they're fn with us. I'm just using your words... out of context maybe to make my point. Chrysler is not going give a crap about how we feel or look when the 392 2500 we're driving gets run down by a Chevy or Ford HD. If they did, they would have put a little more effort into the design of this 392/2500 platform....period. Here's my take, the SRT 392 has a 284 duration with about a 580 lift camshaft I think. And here's my HD 392 build....a 225-235/505 cam profile....the new a$$ kicking POWER WAGON!
Old 07-09-2013, 10:30 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

oh right right.... Yeah well I think I've said it about 3-4 times in this thread already but the manufacturer doesn't care if they have the fastest 0-60 time or 1/4 mile time in a HD pickup. They are going for towing and hauling, etc.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:45 PM

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Lariat
Color: Blue-ish
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:118
DRX350 will become famous soon enoughDRX350 will become famous soon enough

They detune it much in the same way they detuned the CTD for the Chassis cab trucks; they're expecting these trucks to be absolutely flogged, so why not help the longevity of the motors by de-stressing them a tad...

As said above, the 5.7 is de-tuned, as is the 6.0/6.2 from GM, and the 5.0/6.2 from Ford. These are trucks after all, where not too long ago a 140hp, 300ci 6 cylinder truck was a great work truck that are still on the road today, as are the 318/360" LA (non-magnum) engines.

They could have gotten 350hp out of a 5.9 Magnum if they wanted, but they wanted them to last, so they backed of the "performance" and went for reliability...

...just a thought
Old 07-10-2013, 06:04 AM

Vehicle: sold* 10' R/T... 13' R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:142
autobred will become famous soon enoughautobred will become famous soon enough

MOPAR is going to release 2 motors this fall.
A 6.4 that makes max torque of 420 at 4000rpms in a Heavy Duty truck.
A diesel that makes max torque of 420 at 2000 rpms in a Lighty Duty truck.
This talk about performance, acceleration, yadi yadi, just a bi product of torque to begin with..20 year old technology yadi yadi is just Clouding what's really being asked. Question always was why in the hell they cut 10% of the torque in the 6.4 Why couldn't it be left at 5% or so. 450tq in a heavy duty truck would sound a lot better. Especially if YOU are even actually in the market for it. GM is coming out with a 6.2, smaller engine at that, projected at 450tq... So whats the friggin excuse for that one??
Guess theyre looking forward huh? The rest of us makes excuses like " I remember way back when"
just a thought

Last edited by autobred; 07-10-2013 at 06:13 AM.