DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-09-2013, 09:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 3500 SLT Diesel Dually
Trim Level: 3500 SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:185
drp6982 has a spectacular aura aboutdrp6982 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaderzNgravy View Post
Nothing says great highway experience like a TH400
one of the Hemi engine builders (A vendor on many other forumz) PWR has a TH400 but converted it to a 6spd because he wanted something more for the street
2011 Ram 3500 SLT Big Horn Dually
Sponsored links
Old 07-09-2013, 10:06 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

There seems to be some confusion on the different transmissions:

68rfe diesel6 speed transmission in HD trucks
66rfe gas 6 speed transmission in HD trucks(essentially 68rfe internals in a 545/65rfe case)
545/65rfe gas "6" speed transmission in 1500 trucks. Uses 5 gears in typical upshifting
45rfe gas "5" speed transmission(same as 545/65rfe but different programming). Uses 4 gears in typical upshifting

I'd LOVE to have the 66rfe in my truck(even more so than the new 8 speed...). MGH if you ever figure it out please let us/me know. How exactly are you trying to go about it?

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:32 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:527
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post

66rfe gas 6 speed transmission in HD trucks(essentially 68rfe internals in a 545/65rfe case)
545/65rfe gas "6" speed transmission in 1500 trucks. Uses 5 gears in typical upshifting
45rfe gas "5" speed transmission(same as 545/65rfe but different programming). Uses 4 gears in typical upshifting

I'd LOVE to have the 66rfe in my truck(even more so than the new 8 speed...). MGH if you ever figure it out please let us/me know. How exactly are you trying to go about it?
Mike is building up 545RFE's using superior 68RFE frictions, machining room for substantially more of them, boosting pump pressure by 40-50 psi by modifying the pump and reworking the valve body, and its for greater holding power under boosted applications. Then tuning it all to work in harmony, in many cases with an ATS Triple Disc 3000 stall TC.

IOW, No real a benefit for an NA 4.7L Ram

It's still the same 545RFE gear ratios, just more holding power under boost. If you attempted to swap actual gears/planataries from a 68RFE to a 545RFE there is still no way to program it to adjust for the different ratios so your PCM wouldn't throw incorrect ratio codes. (and the 66RFE ratios are the same as the 545RFE)

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 07-10-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:47 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Yeah I agree I don't need a stronger trans behind my engine. I was saying just for the better spread of gear ratios.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:55 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:527
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

It's been almost a year, so perhaps you've forgotten...

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=119482&page=2

Quote:
Awesome! Your truck is gonna fly. So who is putting the transmission together? The 68rfe gearset in the 545rfe will be great. Also stronger. Your basically going to have a 66rfe. I didn't know this swap was possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVYKLR View Post
My truck is Mike's donor truck and we worked it out to where he could have it for a couple months. He is mocking everything up and inventorying everything needed for a kit. Like he stated in his build thread he only uses top notch parts...Garrett, Tial, Bosch, AN fittings, 304 stainless steel, etc. and of course there are tons of options. I'm getting the hot side all coated in black and I was going to stay with the 5.7 intake until Timmy found me the 6.1. Anyone considering a kit should seriously PM MGH with questions. I will continue to post pics to try and show the build quality and his attention to detail.

WRT to the 68rfe internals I'd have to refer you to Mike on that one. The problem with the 545rfe is the frictions not the gears.
Quote:
I don't know a whole lot about the transmissions I just know the 68rfe is the diesel transmission and the 66rfe is basically the 68rfe gearset in a 545rfe case and is for the hemi n the 2500's. That gearset from the 68rfe or 66rfe is a much better gearset than the one in the 545rfe(ratios are spread more evenly, lower first gear, and taller final gear), and it is supposedly stronger which should be obvious since it's from a 2500 ram not a 1500 ram. I'd be really interested in more info on the transmission work, and cost, as I'd be interested in it myself just for the better ratios. Thanks and good luck with the truck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh View Post
The strength of the 68 comes from the number of frictions it uses over the 45. I have found a way to put even more frictions in the 45 then come in the 68. I also rebuild the pump so that it produces up to 250 psi and modify the valve body. When you put all that together you have a trans that can handle more TQ, that shifts hard, but not harsh.
Quote:
Very cool. A little over my head but I get the idea lol. Are you able to swap the better gear ratios from the 68/66 into the 45? What's a rough cost for this if you don't mind sharing?
Quote:
I can swap gear sets, but we do not have the tuning capability to tell the TCM that the gear ratios have changed. Without that tuning, you would get a gear ratio mismatch trouble code....

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP
Old 07-09-2013, 11:16 PM

I recall. I'm on a phone right now but thought earlier in this thread he said he was trying for over a year to get the programming to accept the 66rfe gear set in the 65rfe case. That's what I was referring to. I might have misread, hard to navigate the forum on the phone...

Old 07-10-2013, 07:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport RCSB
Color: Black
Rep:27
mgh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by drp6982 View Post
one of the Hemi engine builders (A vendor on many other forumz) PWR has a TH400 but converted it to a 6spd because he wanted something more for the street
The Turbo 400 is a great trans, but it's a 3 speed. PWR is probably programing the TC to lock and unlock in every gear so that it seems that it is a 6 speed. Third gear in the 400 is 1:1, no overdrive. The only way to make a 400 truly a 6 speed is to put a Gear Vendors overdrive unit behind it.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:38 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 6.6L Hemi!
Trim Level: Crew Cab Sport 4x4
Color: Stone White
Rep:366
RamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really nice

Decent Vid not sure if it will help or answer questions but its a start...

ttp://

"New Project" 1969 Road Runner
BV Heads,K1 Crank and Rods,Corrillo Pistons,ARP Head, Main, Side Studs and Rod Bolts,Spartan Eagle Cam,6.1 Manifold,Fastman 85mm,LMI Hammer, ARH's,3000TC,Hemifever Tuning
Old 07-10-2013, 03:40 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:44
TaderzNgravy is on a distinguished road

Quote:

If he did figure out how to do it, why would he tell everyone exactly how to do it? Mike isn't in the performance business for practice. Maybe when UNICEF gets into the aftermarket performance business then they well give away their secrets, but for now its going to be like any other performance shop....... R&D = money and nobody likes giving away either.

Quote:
The Turbo 400 is a great trans, but it's a 3 speed. PWR is probably programing the TC to lock and unlock in every gear so that it seems that it is a 6 speed. Third gear in the 400 is 1:1, no overdrive. The only way to make a 400 truly a 6 speed is to put a Gear Vendors overdrive unit behind it.
That is the first thing I thought of when he said it was converted to a 6 speed.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 CC ram sport
Trim Level: sport
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
hungovr25 is on a distinguished road

take a look at this

The question I asked was "what did he recommend to replace a 545 for a street truck.

Glad you asked! I've been saying for years that for performance work it is better to use the older 4 speed auto's than to invest a ridiculous amount of $$$ into the 45 and 545RFE's. I can build a bomb proof 518 with billet shafts, billet converter, etc., with 1000+ hp capacity for what some places charge for a 500HP RFE.

I'm assuming we're talking about primarily street operation with some track time on occasion, with an eye towards keeping full street functionality and daily driving type manners. If we're talking full-on racing or just occasional short street duty, it will require another email!

In my humble opinion, there are two ways to go that are viable and cost friendly.
1) A-518, also known as 46RH. Hydraulic governor 1-3 shifts, Electronic OD and TCC operation as you have mentioned.
There are ways to operate the OD and TCC automatically, either through a kit with switches, sensors, etc., or through a simple hydraulic manifold and two adjustable Hobbs switches off of the governor circuit.
Best benefit of this route is that the A-518 trans can be built brutally strong and I can do darn near anything with them! TransBrakes, Manual VB's, Constant pressure VB's, Non-clutch converters, etc. Once you eliminate the PCM from the equation, there is any number of creative things you can do with these transmissions. In built off-road rigs I can give the ability to lock the converter in any gear, giving the benefits of both automatic and stick transmissions for rock crawlers and dirt racing.

2) 727 with Gear Vendors OD. This route is slightly lighter with a bit less parasitic loss than going with the 518. That's about the only advantage for your application. The basic 727 will not have lock-up capability, but can be modified/built to do so.
When you add up the cost of the transmission and OD unit, you'll be in more $$$$ than going with a 518, which is essentially a 727 with add on OD unit anyway!
Biggest benefit of this route is trans tunnel clearance in older cars not originally equipped with an OD trans. Obviously not your scenario.

Another option (NOT something I recommend being a Mopar guy) is to use a stand alone GM 6L80 and controller. Many toute the strength of the 6L80, which IS pretty strong, but the cost of the trans and controller, bellhousing adapter, flexplate, trans mount, driveshaft modifications, etc., is WAY more money than either the 518 or 727/GV methods.
I wouldn't go this route as I don't see any advantage over the Mopar equipment. If a guy had one laying around for free, and was a good fabricator wanting to do something with all of his spare time, then maybe..

Hope this helps!