DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 4x4 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:100
CharlieL will become famous soon enoughCharlieL will become famous soon enough
Default 5,000-mile Trip Report

Over the past three weeks I had the fun of spending many hours in the driver’s seat of my 2013 Laramie. We took a family vacation from Albuquerque to Yosemite National Park, up to Portland, OR and back home through Idaho & Utah. So, from my trip, here’s a report:

Observations:
1. Quiet - The truck is incredibly quiet cruising on the highway. My wife commented about how she could actually hear me & have a conversation with someone in the back seat.
2. Powerful – The V8 with 6-speed pulled my 4,500 pound trailer with no problems. I could even accelerate going up some rather steep grades. Of course, the ‘current mpg’ display in the EVIC showed 2-3 mpg at those times! The 'tow-haul' mode helped maintain speed & gears while going uphill, but it also ran alot in drive & ECO mode while cruising on flat roads & going downhill.
3. MPG displayed – As many have probably noticed, the “average MPG” in the trip logs is not calculated from the last reset. This info in the trip logs and in the “mpg” display appears, in my opinion, to be a rolling average of the previous 100 to 150 miles.
4. Actual MPG – The actual calculated MPG over a 5,018 mile trip, pulling the trailer 3,639 miles was 10.5. I went up many a steep inclines with a 4,500 pound load behind me through the mountains around Lassen Volcanic, Sequoia and Yosemite National Parks, as well as winding my way through to Crater Lake and Lake Tahoe. My wife has decided never to drive on any 2-lane mountain road again as long as she lives!
5. Range – with the 32-gallon tank I had lots of range & the “distance to empty” was a great aid in determining when I needed to re-fuel. Of course, at $4.00+ gas, filling up from less than 1/8 tank hit the credit card limit on the self-pumps a few times.
6. Oil – my truck got its first oil change just before leaving. On return, the oil life shows it to be 29% left.
7. Wi-fi hotspot. This was pretty cool. I bought one month of wi-fi through UConnect, as I still need internet access for business even though I was “on vacation.” In most towns and on major highways the service was great. In the boonies it could be slow – but where slow was better than nothing it was very usable. While cruising down the interstate with my wife driving & having the ability to communicate over the net was priceless.
8. Air suspension and towing: The truck doesn’t go into Aero mode while connected to a trailer, apparently. This would make sense to me, considering the setup of a weight-distribution hitch. I found that to connect & disconnect the trailer, it made everything much easier by putting the truck into “tire change” mode first. Otherwise, the truck seemed to be trying to level itself while I was jacking up the trailer to disconnect.

Oddities:
  • On the first day on the road, tried to use Bing, but it didn’t work. Turns out it was the day Bing was discontinued & being replaced by Yelp, the helpful customer service rep at UConnect told me when I called. The next day Yelp was there. When I used Yelp in one location, it seemed to get stuck there & didn’t realize was somewhere else until the truck was turned off for a while.
  • Did not recognize key fobs in vehicle on the second day. On the second day, I stopped and got out of the truck as my wife & I switched driving. Got the “key fob not in vehicle” display & dinging. Odd cuz two key fobs were inside. Shut down & started using the key fob on the start button trick – but still didn’t recognize the key fobs. Shut down, waited for the truck to power down & restarted – everything was fine after that.
  • The time display on the screen became stuck after changing from nav mode to travel link at one point – but the time in my EVIC did not. A simple ‘reboot’ of the UConnect fixed that.

All in all, I am very pleased with the truck and how it performed. For all of the reasons that I bought the 2013 Laramie for a traveling towing vehicle, it only cemented in my mind that I made a great choice.

Pic attached was taken at Lassen Volcanic National Park at about 8,400-foot elevation. The white background is snow!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6209209.jpg (129.2 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by CharlieL; 07-05-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 07-05-2013, 05:40 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodg Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:148
JWM59 will become famous soon enoughJWM59 will become famous soon enough

Glad you had a good time! We just drove down to Miami from Pa. to take a Carnival cruise. Took the wife's Jeep Patriot. Absolutely horrible! Felt like I was driving a park bench with wheels. Cruise was great well worth the trip down. And I sure did miss my truck.

Last edited by JWM59; 07-06-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:49 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 CC
Trim Level: Laramie Crew
Color: Western Brown two tone (Hershey Bar)
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:12
jlc41 is on a distinguished road

Charlie, sounds like you had a great trip. Good report. Can you tell me how to get to the oil life indicator, I can not find it and I also have a Laramie if it matters.
Thanks,
tint, drop in bed liner, Avs window shades, Raptor bed rails, Dee Zee tail gate damper, Genos cabin air filter, Bak Roll-x cover, Weather tech mud flaps, Recon Xtrem tailgate bar, Moroso catch can, DoMore Slide Step, 5/16 Dual pin stripe, Reese lighted hitch cover, Master lock for hitch receiver.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:43 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 4x4 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Rep:100
CharlieL will become famous soon enoughCharlieL will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc41 View Post
Charlie, sounds like you had a great trip. Good report. Can you tell me how to get to the oil life indicator, I can not find it and I also have a Laramie if it matters.
Thanks,
Thanks for the comments! Yes we had a great trip & the wife is very happy to be riding in comfort - much improved over our 2004 Dakota.

The oil life indicator is in the EVIC. From the digital speedometer display arrow down one notch, which takes you to the "vehicle info" screen. There are several different screens there, which you scroll through using the left/right EVIC buttons. Mine are: tire pressure, air suspension, tranny temp, oil temp, oil life, engine hours and gauge summary.

Does yours have something different? I see from the owners manual that the vehicle info has "multimeter", which mine doesn't have; but the owners manual doesn't include "oil life", which mine does have.

Hope this helps you.

Last edited by CharlieL; 07-05-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:06 PM

Vehicle: 1993 Dakota
Engine: 1992-1991 239ci (3.9L) Magnum V6 180hp
Rep:11
GuyGene is on a distinguished road

Sounds like that was fun! Glad to hear the Ram did great.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2505
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing your experience and had a good time. I just got back from a 3500 trip, covering some of the same ground you did towing a 3000 TT. Did you have any problems with your trailer in Lassen? I ask because we thought about hitting Lassen on our way back, but my wife looked on their site and read some sort of caution about trailers and so we bailed on going there.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Longhorn,loaded.
Trim Level: longhorn
Color: Mineral Gray.
Rep:10
fergusrave is on a distinguished road

Now this is what I want to hear more of, folks enjoying their Rams, I am tired of people whining about how bad their Rams are, I went to look at a new 2014 Jeep on March 19th as I had owned 2 , both Hemi powered btw, and I seen this beautiful Ram 1500 longhorn, fully loaded and 35 mins later I dove home with it, YES, I had major problems with the radio/ nav/ as soon as I drove off the lot and the dealer in three days replaced it with a new one and no problems since, I have updated the software last weekend and is running great..This is by far the best car that I have ever owned, BTW, my wife of 40 years loves it and wonders why I did not buy one sooner, I asked her why she likes it so much and she says you are a man so drive what a man should DRIVE, Now you know why she is the women of my life for 40 years,
Old 07-06-2013, 07:46 AM

Thanks Charlie, I'll try that see if I can find it.
tint, drop in bed liner, Avs window shades, Raptor bed rails, Dee Zee tail gate damper, Genos cabin air filter, Bak Roll-x cover, Weather tech mud flaps, Recon Xtrem tailgate bar, Moroso catch can, DoMore Slide Step, 5/16 Dual pin stripe, Reese lighted hitch cover, Master lock for hitch receiver.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:09 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:29
J Roc is on a distinguished road

Every once in a while my truck doesn't recognize the key fob either, I find if I open and close the door again it works to reset it and recognize.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:44 PM

Charlie, I found it, but it dosen't give me a percent readout. It gives me a guage with a slide bar that I can approximate the oil life from. Is that what you have??