DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Accessories - Dodge Ram Parts - Dodge Ram Performance - Registered Vendors! > VARARAM - Dodge Ram Performance!

Notices

VARARAM - Dodge Ram Performance! Vararam Industries was created to bring true racing technology to the street, the most efficient air induction systems on earth. Our air induction systems produce more Power and Torque, offering you more real world performance than any of the other intake system out there, We've been tested to be the best, compared to the rest and each time VR comes out on top. - Dodge Ram Performance!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-29-2014, 03:36 AM
R A M M S T E I N

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Sport CC Hemi
Trim Level: Sportabulous
Color: White
Rep:580
RAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to all
Question Vararam underside - not continuous?

Hey,

I just ordered the Vararam through Andrew (Bully's Performance) and after I was checking out youtube videos - vararams on RAM 1500's. I came across this video and did a screen capture to show you what I'm referring to.

On the underside of the Vararam it looks as though there is a horizontal piece that does not run back the whole length of the tray. Is there a reason for this?

I ask because I assumed the lower tray/heat shield would be continuous and I was planning on applying aluminum tape in the hopes it might reflect more heat back towards the engine, dropping possible heat soak effects.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Var

* 2014 RAM Sport CC* BDS 6" Suspension* Fox 2.5 Coil-over front * Fox 2.0 rear & Pro-Ride 3" coil* 3.92 Gearing* Fuel hostages in 20x9 +1
37x12.5R20 Pro Comp Xtreme MT2
* Diablo Sport Trinity T1000 * Cabin Air Filter
* ARH LT headers * Magnaflow catback/5" tips * 87mm Ported TB * Moroso Polished Catch Can*_QTP_electric_cutout_&_3"_turn_down * Legmaker Short Ram * S&B custom filter * Outerwears Pre-filter * Extang Solid-Fold Tonneau

Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2014, 11:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:364
spoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nice

Okay- My thoughts …
I have (and love) the Vararam on my 2013 Ram 1500
The thick rubber shield serves a few heat related functions.

A barrier against rising heat in 2 ways- 1. physical barrier and 2. traps an insulating layer of air between tray and rubber sheet.
Since that insulating layer of air will get hot it needs a place to escape- out the back is the logical place due to the fact that new cool air is being forced in the front past the grille and up and over the plenum.

But all that air is going past the filter into the throttle body---Almost all…. there are two holes in the plenum/tray that direct forced air down to the area above the rubber barrier cooling it down and forcing the air out the back.

When the truck is just sitting there idling everything is getting warm (as with all CAI's)- As you launch- the air is forced into the intake ……. and through the two smaller holes so the hot insulating air is flushed out the back (opening in the rubber barrier)

Would your aluminum tape idea work??? Not sure… I'd think it would get warm and therefore warm the air in the insulating layer even further.

Wow if you followed all of that you are great at visualizing stuff. I tried my best to paint a picture but it may have fallen flat.

I totally dig mine - hope yours works out well for you.

Last edited by spoiler; 02-03-2014 at 11:44 PM. Reason: punctation error
Old 02-04-2014, 02:07 AM
R A M M S T E I N

RAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to all

Thanks man!

Yeah, I believe i read that on their site; probably after I posted this. Movement of air - creating the cool buffer between the tray and heat shield.

I think Vararam should indoctrinate a member here into their fold so they have a rep able to answer techie questions. The vendor has been on the forum several times since I posted this to post and run away, having never taken a moment to answer a simple question directly.

I really hope I dig this thing too. From everything I've heard they have improved on past design flaws and this should be a decent mod.

I just can't help noticing a HUGE lack of attention in a Platinum Vendor's very own specialized forum...

This tells me either they are entirely overwhelmed by the manpower it would take to attend to all these forums over the web, OR the staff do not care.

The evidence is clear:

*I asked a question 5 days ago, and no Vararam rep ever responded
*I PM'd the vendor here, and again got no response.

Why even have a sub-forum?? It seems like a joke. IF you're too busy to anything other than post and run then say as much up front. Otherwise pull your forum.

/bitch

Var

* 2014 RAM Sport CC* BDS 6" Suspension* Fox 2.5 Coil-over front * Fox 2.0 rear & Pro-Ride 3" coil* 3.92 Gearing* Fuel hostages in 20x9 +1
* ARH LT headers * Magnaflow catback/5" tips * 87mm Ported TB * Moroso Polished Catch Can*_QTP_electric_cutout_&_3"_turn_down * Legmaker Short Ram * S&B custom filter * Outerwears Pre-filter * Extang Solid-Fold Tonneau

Old 02-05-2014, 10:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:10
nickxc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM357 View Post
Thanks man!

Yeah, I believe i read that on their site; probably after I posted this. Movement of air - creating the cool buffer between the tray and heat shield.

I think Vararam should indoctrinate a member here into their fold so they have a rep able to answer techie questions. The vendor has been on the forum several times since I posted this to post and run away, having never taken a moment to answer a simple question directly.

I really hope I dig this thing too. From everything I've heard they have improved on past design flaws and this should be a decent mod.

I just can't help noticing a HUGE lack of attention in a Platinum Vendor's very own specialized forum...

This tells me either they are entirely overwhelmed by the manpower it would take to attend to all these forums over the web, OR the staff do not care.

The evidence is clear:

*I asked a question 5 days ago, and no Vararam rep ever responded
*I PM'd the vendor here, and again got no response.

Why even have a sub-forum?? It seems like a joke. IF you're too busy to anything other than post and run then say as much up front. Otherwise pull your forum.

/bitch

Var

I could not agree more. I tried to ask some questions prior to purchasing mine too and got nothing. I had other members who had problems with their system saying it was not worth the money and still no rebuttle from vararam. I like mine, performance gain was minimal at best and thats combined with a ported throttle body but it looks good, sounds good, and might make an HP or two.. I guess it was worth it, but would be nice to see some support from the company on the forum..
Old 02-05-2014, 08:11 PM
R A M M S T E I N

Ok, I'm installed.

My flexible rubber heat shield membrane looks like the picture I posted in post 1.

BUT I have a question - Should I PULL it DOWN over the top clamp?

* By pulling it down, I would end up with a larger buffer between the lower membrane and the bottom of the tray, creating a larger volume of cool air.

I think the membrane is flexible enough to pull down over the that clamp...

What say ye Vararamsters?

Thanks,

Var

Old 02-07-2014, 08:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Longhorn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Red
Rep:55
Bruce E will become famous soon enough

I don't see why that shouldn't work Var. Don't know what it would look like when peeking under the hood though. Don't know where in Northern Ontario you are but one thing to keep an eye on in the winter is the road salt and slime getting up into the Vararam. I have been wondering about some form of pre-filter cloth for winter driving up here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM357 View Post
Ok, I'm installed.

My flexible rubber heat shield membrane looks like the picture I posted in post 1.

BUT I have a question - Should I PULL it DOWN over the top clamp?

* By pulling it down, I would end up with a larger buffer between the lower membrane and the bottom of the tray, creating a larger volume of cool air.

I think the membrane is flexible enough to pull down over the that clamp...

What say ye Vararamsters?

Thanks,

Var
Old 02-07-2014, 03:52 PM
R A M M S T E I N

I will check for that periodically, thanks.

My initial thoughts are that much of this would not make it way up into the filter area. If this were true, that salt infiltrated the engine compartment, then your entire rad would be covered with crap all winter long. I can't recall that ever happening. In our cold Northern winters my shutters are shut when I'm rolling much of the time, but air always comes in low from the bottom of the grill, below the shutters.

And as I think about pulling the membrane down further, I can see something I didn't consider before. The venturi principle, if that applies - by increasing the thickness of airspace under the tray, and above the membrane, the air SPEED passing through may slow sufficiently to actually degrade that cooling process.

Just a thought. I should see if any of the stock Vararam photos show that membrane tented up in the middle at the tube, or if they've pulled it down level.

Cheers,

Var