DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits


Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 07-12-2013, 03:59 PM
battlerattle's Avatar
battlerattle battlerattle is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member

 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: People's Republik of Komifornia
Age: 34
Posts: 665
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2011 Power Wagon
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 4
Rep:256
battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough
Default

Other than wheels I got rid of ll mine. Seeing as I do go off road i chose the bedliner method, I still think it turned out good.



__________________
Spyntec Hubs, 35" Cooper STT, Synergy Steering Brace, out of money........................
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #12  
Old 07-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Gecko's Avatar
Gecko Gecko is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey
Age: 24
Posts: 925
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT 4x4
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 4
Rep:214
Gecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnesto View Post
That's a great looking truck! I can only imagine the before.
What kind of headlights do you have?
I have the Spec-D Halo Projector Headlights in gloss black. They look even better in person!
__________________
-Full Custom Dual Exhaust by Big Power Racing - Inertia Crazy Jay Plus Cam -Pacesetter LTs - BFI Composite #83 - Inertia Custom Tune - Dual DMH Cutouts - 87mm TB - 180* t-stat-
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Gantman's Avatar
Gantman Gantman is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ram Country
Age: 45
Posts: 1,963
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep Power: 4
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlerattle View Post
Other than wheels I got rid of ll mine. Seeing as I do go off road i chose the bedliner method, I still think it turned out good.



Battlerattle! That is one clean and mean lookin PowerWagon bud! And I agree that a little bit of chrome thrown in somewhere to accent the rest of the truck is nice too. I like a bit of all the above; a good amount of chrome, black and white.
__________________

Last edited by Gantman; 07-12-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-13-2013, 01:49 PM
Arnesto Arnesto is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Posts: 12
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
Arnesto is on a distinguished road
Default

So here's a progress pic. I decided to remove the vent visors as opposed to blacking them out. Just did the rims today, keep in mind those are stock rims and nothing special. I think I'll go with those over the winter months, then next spring get a set of black rims.

So far I'm pretty happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2222.jpg (131.0 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-13-2013, 02:26 PM
toober's Avatar
toober toober is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 173
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Tradesman
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:26
toober is on a distinguished road
Default

Make it easy on yourself. Find someone looking to buy a new ram truck and offer them a free chrome upgrade swap of your chrome for their black if they include the service swap work as part of their purchase deal.
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-18-2013, 07:06 PM
Canadian Hemi Pride's Avatar
Canadian Hemi Pride Canadian Hemi Pride is offline
Stickers add Horsepower


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 22
Posts: 6,346
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 10
Rep:2778
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlerattle View Post
Other than wheels I got rid of ll mine. Seeing as I do go off road i chose the bedliner method, I still think it turned out good.



I want your truck.. Looks awesome... For the bumpers.. Did you do them yourself with bedliner spray.. and if so mind giving some tips... Might redo mine to bedliner because I do some light offroading (lot more when I get my Toyo M/Ts
__________________
Brandon...Check out my build thread here
For any help or advice, send me a message or post on my profile here
Any Leveling/offset questions? Go HERE
Tow mirrors up for all the haters
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-18-2013, 07:57 PM
battlerattle's Avatar
battlerattle battlerattle is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member

 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: People's Republik of Komifornia
Age: 34
Posts: 665
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2011 Power Wagon
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 4
Rep:256
battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Hemi Pride View Post
I want your truck.. Looks awesome... For the bumpers.. Did you do them yourself with bedliner spray.. and if so mind giving some tips... Might redo mine to bedliner because I do some light offroading (lot more when I get my Toyo M/Ts

Thank you! I am very proud of it, it was a lot of work. I wish I could tell you this was a tape and spray job, but it wasn't. I did use the Rustoleum Bedliner spray in the can, but I took my time.

First remove and disassemble the bumpers so you are left with nothing but the actual metal portion. Then the sanding begins. Sounds easy but chrome happens to be a very hard metal. I ended up using an orbital with some heavy duty 120grit oxide paper. Sanding is key as the chrome is to smooth to allow a good bond. Once sanded I laid down two coats of a quality self etching primer. Allow for proper flash between coats and then lay down one light dust coat of the bedliner then two medium coats. On the third coat keep the can a good 18" away for good texture.

For the grill you follow the same procedure of removing and disassembling, just be careful as its plastic.

It has held up really well, though I have learned a few pointer in maintaining it. When washing it do not use a rag or sponge on the bumpers, you will regret it (lint everywhere)! A light nylon brush with soap and water works fine. Don't use tire shine or armor all on the bedliner, it comes out looking blotchy and takes a few washes to remove. I use a dry rag to block off the paint/lights and a light mist of 303 Aerospace Protectant looks perfect, nice and dark, even and no gloss.

If you do rub it up against a tree, bush, random pig at 60mpg, etc it may rub off the texture, but has never cut through the liner. Again just cover the paint/lights and a quick mist of bedliner from the rattle can over the rubbed area brings it back to new.


I will be honest. I am really impressed with how well the Rustoleum in a can has held up. Though, if I had to do it again I would go thru the same disassembly but probably just drop it off at the Line-X guy. I was into this project about $100 and two days. For $300 I could have saved myself a day and a half of hard work......then again.......where is the fun in that?!?
__________________
Spyntec Hubs, 35" Cooper STT, Synergy Steering Brace, out of money........................

Last edited by battlerattle; 07-18-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-19-2013, 12:39 AM
Canadian Hemi Pride's Avatar
Canadian Hemi Pride Canadian Hemi Pride is offline
Stickers add Horsepower


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 22
Posts: 6,346
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 10
Rep:2778
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlerattle View Post
Thank you! I am very proud of it, it was a lot of work. I wish I could tell you this was a tape and spray job, but it wasn't. I did use the Rustoleum Bedliner spray in the can, but I took my time.

First remove and disassemble the bumpers so you are left with nothing but the actual metal portion. Then the sanding begins. Sounds easy but chrome happens to be a very hard metal. I ended up using an orbital with some heavy duty 120grit oxide paper. Sanding is key as the chrome is to smooth to allow a good bond. Once sanded I laid down two coats of a quality self etching primer. Allow for proper flash between coats and then lay down one light dust coat of the bedliner then two medium coats. On the third coat keep the can a good 18" away for good texture.

For the grill you follow the same procedure of removing and disassembling, just be careful as its plastic.

It has held up really well, though I have learned a few pointer in maintaining it. When washing it do not use a rag or sponge on the bumpers, you will regret it (lint everywhere)! A light nylon brush with soap and water works fine. Don't use tire shine or armor all on the bedliner, it comes out looking blotchy and takes a few washes to remove. I use a dry rag to block off the paint/lights and a light mist of 303 Aerospace Protectant looks perfect, nice and dark, even and no gloss.

If you do rub it up against a tree, bush, random pig at 60mpg, etc it may rub off the texture, but has never cut through the liner. Again just cover the paint/lights and a quick mist of bedliner from the rattle can over the rubbed area brings it back to new.


I will be honest. I am really impressed with how well the Rustoleum in a can has held up. Though, if I had to do it again I would go thru the same disassembly but probably just drop it off at the Line-X guy. I was into this project about $100 and two days. For $300 I could have saved myself a day and a half of hard work......then again.......where is the fun in that?!?
Those damn random pigs really eat away at the bumpers. I have looked into the rustoleum for my bumpers.. probably just leave the grill and bug guard with plasti-dipp.. Because knowing me I will probably break something. I am curious as to what the price would be for my bumpers to be line-x'd...Guess some research is needed.
__________________
Brandon...Check out my build thread here
For any help or advice, send me a message or post on my profile here
Any Leveling/offset questions? Go HERE
Tow mirrors up for all the haters
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-23-2013, 09:49 PM
RUrbaniak24 RUrbaniak24 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toledo, OH
Age: 25
Posts: 56
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2013 dodge ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
RUrbaniak24 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quick question... Does plasti dip still peel off of chrome emblems? If so does it damage the chrome at all
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-26-2013, 12:55 AM
Arnesto Arnesto is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Posts: 12
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
Arnesto is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUrbaniak24 View Post
Quick question... Does plasti dip still peel off of chrome emblems? If so does it damage the chrome at all
Yeah it can peel off anything, it's not going to stay there forever.. I've had lots of chrome on my truck plasti dipped now for a few weeks and there's no peeling yet. And no it doesn't damage the chrome.. if anything it'd protect it, I would imagine.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:58 PM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum