DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: 1500 Sport
Color: Charcoal Grey
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:10
jcurtis1313 is on a distinguished road
Default New 2500 gas or diesel?

So i am looking for some input. I currently have an 02 ram 1500 5.9 gas and love the truck. But I am planning on buying a newer truck within a year or so.
Well I am looking at 2500's and I am not sure if I should go gas or diesel.
The thing is, I am going to be pulling a travel trailer (7,000 lbs wet) and I know a 1500 will pull it but looking for something that won't struggle at all with the trailer. So going up to the 2500. I know a gas or diesel will pull the trailer fine but my question is, are the diesel's worth the extra $ not only in purchase price but maintenance costs as well? not only will the truck be used to pull the trailer it will also be my daily driver, and most of my driving is very close to home, in town driving. I only work 2 miles from home. Is a lot of in town driving bad for diesels? I have only ever owned gasser's and don't know much about diesel.
looking from some insight from all of you before I make my decision.
Thanks,
Sponsored links
Old 07-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1946
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Well number one... if you want something that isn't going to struggle with the trailer at all you will want a Cummins. Otherwise you might as well get a 1500 with a hemi because it will pull just as good as a 2500 with a hemi. A 7000 pound trailer is well with in the towing limit for a 1500 with 3.92 gears. You wouldn't have an issue with it at all.

Being that most of your driving is very close to home a diesel probably isn't your best option. They're meant to run for longer periods of time and like you said, it is harder on them to just be doing short trips like that.

So overall, I don't see the point in getting a 2500 hemi when a 1500 hemi will work just as well for you. JMO.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 07-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: 1500 Sport
Color: Charcoal Grey
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:10
jcurtis1313 is on a distinguished road

well maybe I will save myself some $ and look at a newer 1500 Hemi with 3.92 rear end. Thanks for your input
Old 07-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Power Wagon
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:256
battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
Well number one... if you want something that isn't going to struggle with the trailer at all you will want a Cummins. Otherwise you might as well get a 1500 with a hemi because it will pull just as good as a 2500 with a hemi. A 7000 pound trailer is well with in the towing limit for a 1500 with 3.92 gears. You wouldn't have an issue with it at all.

Being that most of your driving is very close to home a diesel probably isn't your best option. They're meant to run for longer periods of time and like you said, it is harder on them to just be doing short trips like that.

So overall, I don't see the point in getting a 2500 hemi when a 1500 hemi will work just as well for you. JMO.
Not wholey true. The towing difference between the 1500 and 2500 gas are night and day. I went up to a 2500 because of it. Yes, the 1500 can pull a 7k trailer. The 2500 pulls it without even knowing its there. Just because its the same engine doesnt mean it pulls the same. First, the tuning it much different, the 2500 has much more torque down low, there are better gearing options available from the factory, it is much more stable when towing, has much better brakes and a lower stall speed TC in the tranny along with slightly different shift programming. There are a miriad of other options as well such as better cooling system, factory trailer brake (i believe the 1500 can have one too) transmission cooling, etc.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:05 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlerattle View Post
Not wholey true. The towing difference between the 1500 and 2500 gas are night and day. I went up to a 2500 because of it. Yes, the 1500 can pull a 7k trailer. The 2500 pulls it without even knowing its there. Just because its the same engine doesnt mean it pulls the same. First, the tuning it much different, the 2500 has much more torque down low, there are better gearing options available from the factory, it is much more stable when towing, has much better brakes and a lower stall speed TC in the tranny along with slightly different shift programming. There are a miriad of other options as well such as better cooling system, factory trailer brake (i believe the 1500 can have one too) transmission cooling, etc.
The engine wouldn't be tuned differently at all. If they could tune it to make the same power with more torque down low they would do that in the 1500's as well. So that's an irrelevant argument.

A 2500 definitely would be more stable for towing because of the frame, size, and having leaf springs. But adding a TLC kit to a 1500 would definitely help make that comparable.

I'm assuming you mean a higher stall speed, not a lower one.... Otherwise that doesn't help you at all. Are the 4.10 gears available in a 2500 hemi? If so that would definitely help but it's not going to be too much of a different over the 3.92's with an 8-speed in the 1500. Tranny shift points change when you hit the tow haul button in a 1500 as well so I would guess those are directly comparable.

How does a 2500 have a better cooling system? I haven't heard of anything being different? A 1500 can have the factory brake controller as well and does have the heavy duty transmission cooler as well.

8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Old 07-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

i loved my 5.9 cummins, but the 6.7 is a very different engine imho. the urea may help with mpg, but the higher cost of diesel and higher maintenace cost make it more expensive. i agree with stepping up to the 2500 although you are only 7000 lbs. the hemi will serve you well in this use. bigger truck, heavier duty frame axles, bigger breaks just make it a nicer driving experience. also allows you to increase trailer size down the road with replacing the truck should you decide to go that route.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:18 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:217
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

Every thing is heavier duty on a 3/4 ton, axles, brakes, cooling etc. Have you weighed the trailer? Trailer makes are known for listing them a little on the light side.

I think fuel, maintance, and such balance out between a gas engine and a diesel. They get better fuel mileage, but the fuel cost more. It takes more oil during an oil change, but you can often change it less often. The big draw back of the diesel in my opinion is the initial cost. They aren't cheap, new or used. The advantage of them is they are great towing machines. The harder you work them, the better they are.

Short trips? That's pretty hard on any vehicle, more so in the winter than the summer. You can plug in a diesel and that helps some in the winter.

Its a tough choice and to be honest, I'd say get a diesel because you want it, not because you need it. Drive a couple and price them and then decide.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:21 PM

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

A 7,000 lb trailer? You don't need a 2500, you can tow over 10,000 with a 1500 hemi. If it's possible get the 3:92 gears, even better 4:10's. Hemis tow great if you don't dog em down with econo gears. 8speed should do a good job, heck even the Pentastar might do it, it's got 305 hp, a lot more than the old 5.9. The new 2014 ECO Diesel might do it as well.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Borla duals, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf. 200,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 07-10-2013, 01:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Power Wagon
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:256
battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
The engine wouldn't be tuned differently at all. If they could tune it to make the same power with more torque down low they would do that in the 1500's as well. So that's an irrelevant argument.

Not true. The 1500 is tuned for mileage. With the HD trucks mileage is semi irellevent. Where as on the 1500 the peak torque is 407lb/ft, it is available above 4000rpm. On the 2500 the peak torque is 400lb/ft but is available at 3200rpm with roughly 20% more available torque from 1500-3500rpm than the 1500. I.E. the range in which you are pulling.

The same physical engine can have drastically different capabilities depending on tuning.

A 2500 definitely would be more stable for towing because of the frame, size, and having leaf springs. But adding a TLC kit to a 1500 would definitely help make that comparable.

Not even close. Simply increasing the spring load carrying capacity does not increase load capacity or towing ability (though it can help). The leaves in conjunction with the heavier/wider axle, stronger frame, stronger/larger brakes, etc are what increase the towing capacity and also help to tow the load more easily.

I'm assuming you mean a higher stall speed, not a lower one.... Otherwise that doesn't help you at all. Are the 4.10 gears available in a 2500 hemi? If so that would definitely help but it's not going to be too much of a different over the 3.92's with an 8-speed in the 1500. Tranny shift points change when you hit the tow haul button in a 1500 as well so I would guess those are directly comparable.

Lower speed TC actually does help when the torque is available at a lower rpm. 4.10 and 4.56 are available on the 2500. Again, just because it is the same physical tranny doesnt mean it performs the same. Shift point, line pressure, hold over, down shift are all programmed differently on the 2500 because of the job it was designed to do.

How does a 2500 have a better cooling system? I haven't heard of anything being different? A 1500 can have the factory brake controller as well and does have the heavy duty transmission cooler as well.

First the 2500 has a larger radiator. It also has a seperate tranny cooler along with the one incorporated into the a/c condenser like the 1500. The tranny cooler stock on the 2500 is much larger than the heavy duty one available on the 1500 (hence more cooling capacity).
You can't simply say that just because they share a similar power train that they are essentially the same and can carry the same. That is like saying a mac and a pc are the same because they are both computers, its an ignorant comparison and true only on the simplest level. There are substantial differences. On top of the chassis and suspension, the 2500 has increased cooling capacity, drastically different engine paramiters, more robust components to include steering and braking. My rear brakes on my 2500 are larger than the front brakes on your 1500, lets not even go to how much larger/stronger the front brakes are!
Old 07-10-2013, 01:35 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

I never said that. I agree that the 2500 can carry more weight and handle it better.... but that has nothing to do with the powertrain, it has to do with the frame, suspension, braking etc. I fully agree with you on that side of it. The engine and transmission are exactly the same with exactly the same tuning. Nothing is different there, only the gear ratio might be different. So power wise a 1500 will pull just as good as a 2500 hemi.

You have to remember the OP is only hauling a 7000 pound trailer.... that's not heavy at all. If we were talking more in the 9000-10000 pound range I'd fully agree with you that a 2500 is the way to go. But at only 7000 pounds a 1500 would work perfectly fine.