DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 ram 1500 4x4 express rcsb
Color: true blue pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:101
browndawg will become famous soon enoughbrowndawg will become famous soon enough

if it was me I would buy an older diesel without the cat piss tank, put stacks on it, mod the hell out of it then ride around town all day hearing that diesel hiss with a big azz smile on my face. but what do I know I like to waste money
Sponsored links
Old 07-10-2013, 04:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
Yes, I'll admit that I never looked at the power numbers for the 2500. I just assumed it was the same. So my bad there.... MDS becomes irrelevant when towing though as it is turned off with the tow/haul button in a 1500. But even with all that information I still don't think the OP needs a 2500 as a 1500 hemi will suffice his needs perfectly.

Personally I would never buy a 2500 with a hemi.... if I was going to step up to a 3/4 ton truck for towing I would go with a Cummins no question. But that's just my opinion. I do agree that the 6.4 coming out for 2014 does make it a different argument though.
Please understand this is my opinion only and I feel for the purpose of this thread it should be brought out.

You sound like someone who has never actually owned a 07+ Cummins. You sound like I did... someone who is in a 1500 and if ever gets into a 2500 will only get the Cummins.

Well I did that. I purchased a 2012 Cummins loaded to the max in exchange for an 09 Ram Hemi that looked an awful lot like the one I drive now.

I, like the OP, drive very short distances when I am not hauling a trailer or heavy load. Let me tell you.. in the 2012, at least, the truck hated that. My drive to work is about 10 miles or so... very short. The truck did not get very hot during those drives and I started to see the effects.

The DPF(Diesel Particulate Filter) started to fill up. The only way the truck can clean that filter is to get VERY hot and going into a regeneration which uses A LOT of diesel fuel. If the truck can't clean the filter it will do a few things... First it will warn you and say hey drive me like you stole me for 30 minutes so I can clean this thing or pull a heavy load for a while. If it gets clogged or to 100% it will force itself into limp mode and that means a trip to the dealer. Above all else the MPG's suffer greatly thanks to this whole emissions setup.

Now a lot of people will say, "Just do the deletes and be done with it." Well I can't because I want to keep my truck legal in TN and it has to pass emissions.

The 2013 2500's use DEF so some of my problems I experienced are eliminated but not all of them.

This is why I think the OP would be better suited for a 2500 Hemi because of the 2500's brakes, suspension, and other upgrades that would eliminate any guess work on what might get pulled behind that truck.

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1962
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arth View Post
Please understand this is my opinion only and I feel for the purpose of this thread it should be brought out.

You sound like someone who has never actually owned a 07+ Cummins. You sound like I did... someone who is in a 1500 and if ever gets into a 2500 will only get the Cummins.

Well I did that. I purchased a 2012 Cummins loaded to the max in exchange for an 09 Ram Hemi that looked an awful lot like the one I drive now.

I, like the OP, drive very short distances when I am not hauling a trailer or heavy load. Let me tell you.. in the 2012, at least, the truck hated that. My drive to work is about 10 miles or so... very short. The truck did not get very hot during those drives and I started to see the effects.

The DPF(Diesel Particulate Filter) started to fill up. The only way the truck can clean that filter is to get VERY hot and going into a regeneration which uses A LOT of diesel fuel. If the truck can't clean the filter it will do a few things... First it will warn you and say hey drive me like you stole me for 30 minutes so I can clean this thing or pull a heavy load for a while. If it gets clogged or to 100% it will force itself into limp mode and that means a trip to the dealer. Above all else the MPG's suffer greatly thanks to this whole emissions setup.

Now a lot of people will say, "Just do the deletes and be done with it." Well I can't because I want to keep my truck legal in TN and it has to pass emissions.

The 2013 2500's use DEF so some of my problems I experienced are eliminated but not all of them.

This is why I think the OP would be better suited for a 2500 Hemi because of the 2500's brakes, suspension, and other upgrades that would eliminate any guess work on what might get pulled behind that truck.
I definitely understand what you're saying. I agree that a Cummins is not the right answer for the OP because if the every day driving he will be doing with it. So I'm with you 100% on all your points regarding that. I just think that for a 7000 pound trailer a 1500 is more than capable.... Also because it's a travel trailer so how often is it really going to be pulled? I'm thinking (and this is a guess on my part) that the OP is going to be mainly using his truck as an every day driver not towing anything and maybe pulling the trailer a handful of times in the summer. That is the information I am basing my recommendation of a 1500 on.

If he was contemplating buying a larger trailer down the road (which is possible but wasn't mentioned) then my argument would probably be changed. But again, at 7000 pounds and only being towed a handful of times a year I just don't see the point in going to a 2500.

You are correct, I have never owned a Cummins before, it's just been a dream of mine since I was 13 years old. But I plan to get a Cummins for other reasons than towing. Sure towing is nice but I want to build one with an 8" lift and 37's and all that jazz just because it's been a dream of mine for years and I would really enjoy doing it. But back to the topic of the thread here I just feel like if you need to step up to a 2500 for tow ratings and the other added benefits you would probably be best suited with a Cummins as well to handle the weight you're pulling that much better as well. And again as I have stated, I just don't think the OP needs the tow ratings of a 2500 when he is well within the limits of a 1500.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 07-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Hunter Green Pearl
Rep:34
Chris In Marshfield is on a distinguished road

This is a timely thread, because I'm in the same frame of mind. Going up to a larger trailer this year (~7800 lbs dry) and looking for something that pulls a little more effortlessly. My 1500 Outdoorsman does a good job with my 6000-pound trailer with its Hemi and 3.92 gears. But I do know it's back there, for sure.

Borrowed a friend's F-250 (sorry for swearing) to tow my camper last weekend, and it was a religious experience. I hope to replicate that experience with a Ram truck.

I work at home and drive the kids to school less than two miles away, and most of my trips are less than five miles. So a diesel isn't for me.

There are only two Hemi 2500s in a 100-mile radius of me, so if I miss out, I can still tow with my 1500. Strangely, the Dodge dealer in my town has something like 40 1500s on the lot. Pretty much every one of them are "pretty trucks" (not that there's anything wrong with that), but all have 3.21 gears in them and not hauling platforms. Shame, really...

Chris

Last edited by Chris In Marshfield; 07-10-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
Rep:177
richmond has a spectacular aura aboutrichmond has a spectacular aura about

Well, finally............... an old school guy can speak.............I'm married to my 4x4 5.9 magnum, my 4x4 24 valve diesel 2500 (and as of tonight my 12 valve diesel 2500 2wd). That leaves a hemi (up or down), diesel up, dually across, for my Ram bucket list.

So as to the question starting this post, I'm left with cost, load and frequency.................. which = Hemi 1500.

Brand guy......................, with wallet in mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...................... Richmond
Old 07-11-2013, 07:30 AM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black on Black
Rep:44
gusman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arth View Post

Even after deletes, it still sucked waiting forever to get heat in the cab in the winter (actually have to be driving to get those motors to warm up).. Diesel is more expensive also. The only upside to the cummins at that point for me was the cool factor. 5" straight pipe and tuned it was one bad mamma jamma, best sound you'll ever hear... but... The diesel just wasn't practical for me so I "downgraded" to a 1500 Sport.

I will note, that even after 36k miles, the brakes in my cummins were twice as good as the brakes in my '13 with 8 miles on it... and 3/4 tons just look more badass than halfers.. My opinion... 3/4 ton gasser. The towing comparison as far as feel and ride goes, is not even close between 1/2 and 3/4 ton
Old 07-11-2013, 08:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Rep:163
bendodge has a spectacular aura aboutbendodge has a spectacular aura about
Default What about mileage ?

I purchased a 2012 1500 4x4 express because of the MPG difference from 3/4 to 1/2 ton. I to work close to home so gas was my only choice. I let my truck warm up before I go to work and come home, I also have to pick up the kid from after school activatys so my truck may not leave town for 2 weeks at a time and I still get 10 MPG in the MN winter. The 3.92 gears are defiantly the best choice for towing. I get 21 MPG on a highway only trip and 17 MPG on a town and highway trip. Pulling a 6500 pound base weight TT camper loaded with gear so more like 7500 pounds and 500 pounds of feed in the truck box ( feed was for our cattle at the show we were attending) I got 10 MPG. The truck had no problem pulling it and I am more than happy with mileage. I currently have 4275 miles on the truck so MPG may go up when broken in.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:11 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:217
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

Another option is to look for an earlier Cummins a pre 2007.5 model year with a 5.9 Cummins. They have almost no emission equipment. I bought mine about 2 years ago and had been a lifetime gas truck owner. I also have wanted a Cummins since they first came out in the late 1908's, and admit that I bought it more for the cool factor than any real need.

I also do almost all my own work on my truck and have save thousands doing my own brakes, all the fluid changes, shocks, and a couple of other problem areas on my truck. They aren't cheap to maintain. When I do tow with mine or haul a heavy load, there is just no comparision to a half ton.

Also keep in mind you have to add in all the weight when towing. People, luggage, fuel etc and you can start to get overloaded in a hurry.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2538
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge man View Post
Another option is to look for an earlier Cummins a pre 2007.5 model year with a 5.9 Cummins. They have almost no emission equipment. I bought mine about 2 years ago and had been a lifetime gas truck owner. I also have wanted a Cummins since they first came out in the late 1908's, and admit that I bought it more for the cool factor than any real need.

I also do almost all my own work on my truck and have save thousands doing my own brakes, all the fluid changes, shocks, and a couple of other problem areas on my truck. They aren't cheap to maintain. When I do tow with mine or haul a heavy load, there is just no comparision to a half ton.

Also keep in mind you have to add in all the weight when towing. People, luggage, fuel etc and you can start to get overloaded in a hurry.
Those are some good trucks pre 2007.5 especially without much of the emissions equipment.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: 1500 Sport
Color: Charcoal Grey
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:10
jcurtis1313 is on a distinguished road

wow, I appreciate all the responses and you all give me a lot to think about.
so i need to check out this new 2014 2500 6.4 Hemi, this thread is the first i have heard of this truck. I guess I need to do some more research.
So if i go with 1500 make sure i get 3.92 gears? I understand higher ratio equals less gas mileage but it can't be any worse than my 02 1500 5.9 magnum. I am currently getting 9.7 mpg all around...LOL