Royal Purple - Page 5 - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > LD RAM - Ram 1500 Forum > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 07-28-2013, 10:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2016 dodge bighorn 1500 hemi
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: MAXIMUM STEEL
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:783
huntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
Really?

Since when?
back in the mid eighties.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 10:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 ram 1500
Trim Level: BIG HORN
Color: SILVER
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
grohs775 is on a distinguished road

I heard that the "ingredients" in rp are actually a solid.....not what you really want in a engine......i use mobil1 and a glass compound filter
Old 07-28-2013, 10:30 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Okay. I have no reason to doubt or question you.

Thanks.

Grub out!

Old 07-29-2013, 04:22 AM

Vehicle: '12 ram 3500
Trim Level: laramie limited
Color: mineral grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:29
scrappy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire1968 View Post
I will only use Mobil 1 and Fram filters used them in my dakotia and have 372674km on it and it still doesn't burn any oil so my ram will get the same.
In the early 2000's there was a TSB put out by mopar for the Cummins engine that had a list of "approved" filters for the Cummins. Fram was NOT on that list. there were several instances of people putting the Fram on the truck and then having them burst from the cold start up oil pressure that the Cummins produces. if a truck came in with an oil related failure and has a Fram on it, the warranty is void. that tells me a Fram won't go on my LAWNMOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grohs775 View Post
I heard that the "ingredients" in rp are actually a solid.....not what you really want in a engine......i use mobil1 and a glass compound filter
one of the anti-wear ingedients in RP is molybydenum. which is similar to graphite. some have had issues with it but many others(myself included) have run many thousands of miles on RP with no failures!

Last edited by scrappy; 07-29-2013 at 04:28 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:39 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram quad cab
Trim Level: sport
Color: white
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:24
wascobi is on a distinguished road

well today was the day. 7 quarts of 5w20 API and a royal purple filter. I swear it idles quieter! making a round trip to calgary this sunday/Monday. maybe better mileage!
Old 09-07-2013, 12:13 AM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Sport 4X4 CC
Color: White
Rep:2968
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Voonderbar! Congrats on the switch. Safe travels!
Old 10-31-2016, 01:03 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram quad cab
Trim Level: sport
Color: white
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:24
wascobi is on a distinguished road
Default Nothing like an old thread resurection!

about to do another oil change. still with royal purple at 130 km. I want to change my transfer case and power steering fluid as well this time. yes, with royal purple. the diffs as well, but after my mech pulls the rear cover to investigate the whine Ive had for forever it seems. who has done the same?
Old 11-06-2016, 12:11 AM

Vehicle: 2016 dodge bighorn 1500 hemi
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: MAXIMUM STEEL
Rep:783
huntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
Really?

Since when?
back in the mid eighties, fram was considered a very good filter.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Grey
Color: Grey
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:15
Jmac86201 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wascobi View Post
about to do another oil change. still with royal purple at 130 km. I want to change my transfer case and power steering fluid as well this time. yes, with royal purple. the diffs as well, but after my mech pulls the rear cover to investigate the whine Ive had for forever it seems. who has done the same?
I have done this, I know this was awhile ago, but it was a noticeable improvement, especially in how my transmission reacted. I have had no issues engine, transmission, differential, transfer case, power steering, or even the additive in the coolant. Love the way royal purple has worked.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:57 PM
The Sound of Eight Hooves

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star (MJX8)
Color: Bright White (PW7)
Rep:800
Thunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to behold

There are a lot of claims in this thread, but not a huge amount of evidence. I have used Royal Purple 5W20 in my truck since I started changing my own oil at around 30,000 miles-it is not the HPS but the API certified line that is compliant with Chrysler's MS-6395 specification. Amsoil is good, but I can get RP at my local WalMart for not much more than any of the group III synthetics; from what I have read from Royal Purple theirs is a group IV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grohs775 View Post
RP does not contain PTFE, which you may be referring to, which is essentially teflon and is comprised of particles that can clog oil passages. Molybdenum is a common additive in many oils and there are different forms of it; I do not know if it has caused anyone a failure, but per my UOA (more on that later), Royal Purple seems to have less than most other oils.

The HPS line (that is more expensive and I don't use) contains ZDDP which is a zinc and phosphorous additive that engines with flat tappet cams need to prevent excess wear of the cam lobes; it serves as a sort of film between the lifter and cam. Our Hemis have roller cams so we don't need it but it doesn't hurt. ZDDP will prevent an oil from getting API certified because it can plate your cats and cause premature catalytic converter failure supposedly; however 1) I have never heard of a ZDDP additive or oil with ZDDP causing an actual cat failure and 2) you'd have to be burning a fair amount of oil for that to happen.

I also like RP because it is manufactured in Texas, where the company is based and I like to support my home state's economy, but that is neither here nor there.

Regarding Fram, the Orange Can of Death (OCOD) moniker came about for a reason; sometime a while back their quality took a significant downturn. They sourced their manufacturing from a different supplier sometime around 2012 though, and while I am not sure about their lower end filters, their synthetic filters are some of the best on the market both in filtration and construction. There are many detailed tests on Bob is the Oil Guy (BITOG) so you can find them there; I am not in the least concerned about my oil filter falling apart under use or load. I use the Ultra Synthetic filters in my truck (Part#: XG2) and also get them at Walmart. Fram claims a 10,000 mile interval for these filters but I change both my oil and filter every 6,000 to 7,000 miles.

Side note: BITOG is a pretty good source for information for Petroleums, Oils, and Lubricants (POLs); just keep in mind that it is a forum and some information may be based on prejudicial opinions rather than empirical facts. There is a sizeable group there that has opinions of Royal Purple similar to rammedifiknow in post #8 of this thread; making derogatory claims without evidence for some reason.

This is not to say that it is the best or that other oils are not as good or better, I am just providing the information I have on Royal Purple oil and Fram filters. I am saying that Fram's high end filters are very good and that Royal Purple is very good too, but that is not to comment on the quality or performance of other products.

Now above I said I have something to back up my claims, below is a used oil analysis from after my last oil change, I think the results speak for themselves. I realize that the universal averages probably include conventional oils, and that driving style plays a part; but I also went farther than average and over half of the 6,328 miles were hauling 1000+ lbs on a trip to South Texas and back:

If you are interested to see what a virgin sample of Royal Purple looks like here is a link to a test of their 5W30. While it is not the exact same oil it does provide insight into their additive package and indicates that while my sodium and potassium levels were slightly high, that is due to RP's additive pack rather than a coolant leak. Note that other than those two elements everything else was below or well below average for wear:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/roylprp.htm

Thunderhorse:
2013 Ram 1500 Lone Star Quad Cab 4X4. Bright White (PW7), 345ci Hemi V8, 8HP70, 3.21 gears (LSD rear). Mods list
Colt:
2015 Durango SXT Southwest Heat RWD. White Knuckle (PW7), 220ci Pentastar V6, 845RFE, 3.45 gears (open). Huskyliners, Catch can. Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement