DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 1500 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Two tone Black/Silver
Rep:10
muskybait is on a distinguished road
Default bed extender

Considering picking up a bed extender fory 2010 crewcab.

Looking for some feed-back on suggested brands , any pics would be usefull.

How easy are they to take in and out, etc??

Thanks for any help.

musky
Sponsored links
Old 11-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I have read that some members believe that this unit is just like the one that you get from the Dodge dealership
AMP Research Bed Extender
http://www.etrailer.com/Bed-Extender...leid=201011157

This is the unit thru Dodge
Bed Extender
82207107 Made of tubular aluminum, the Bed Extender attaches to the rear of the bed and pivots in and out for added storage and convenience. Flipped inward, it's a convenient divider to keep cargo from sliding to the front of the bed. Flipped outward, it extends the truck bed area of the tailgate, increasing the overall capacity of the bed. The Bed Extender also features two moulded in grocery bag hooks/hangers.
Bed Extender, extends bed with tailgate down, flips in for additional storage containment
http://mopar.acc-acc.ca/web/accessor...vehid=236|1396

http://www.mopardodge.com/accessorie...edextender.htm
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 11-26-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:39 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

I have the rounded, tubular aluminum model (MOPAR). I keep it under the Undercover nearly all the time as it helps keep small things from sliding back to the cab. I can use it with the cover (tailgate down) in a pinch. I bought it with my '09 and transferred it to the '11. Not bad but nothing special. It's one of those things that you are really glad you have when you need it but sometimes get in the way when you don't.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:18 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Crew Cab
Color: Granite Crystal Metallic
Rep:81
gregster will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post
I have the rounded, tubular aluminum model (MOPAR). I keep it under the Undercover nearly all the time as it helps keep small things from sliding back to the cab. I can use it with the cover (tailgate down) in a pinch. I bought it with my '09 and transferred it to the '11. Not bad but nothing special. It's one of those things that you are really glad you have when you need it but sometimes get in the way when you don't.
I agree. I had one on my last truck, and I used it WAY more folded INSIDE the bed, as a way to keep small cargo secure. Of course it was handy now and then as an extender, but for me the real value was for using it as a way to keep things from rolling all over the bed of the truck.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:58 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:20
HeyBrownDog is on a distinguished road

I was thinking of the Amp brand also....cheaper, and they seem to be the inventors of this product. Loved how it rotated into the box without having to remove it allowing it to corral stuff from sliding around. Since I don't have a lot of use other than keeping stuff sliding around, was thinking of simply cutting a 2x6 or 2x8 and putting in those slots like I use to do with my Silverado.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:59 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Color: Bright White
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

I'd pay close attention to how it secures to the tailgate when in use as a bed extender. The MOPAR version has (2) little 'hoops' (for lack of a better term) that screw to the tailgate. The extender has (2) little C-clips molded into the extender that snap onto the hoops. Occasionally I catch a box or other cargo on the hoops when sliding it in/out over the tailgate.

I have seen other brands that use the tailgate latches and small straps to hold the extender in place (I think Chevy's version is like this). I don't know if I'd like this better or not (more parts to loose/adjust/etc...) but there are times I don't like what I have either.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:07 PM

Vehicle: 2010 1500 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Two tone Black/Silver
Rep:10
muskybait is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the great info and tips.

How easy is it to install and to take off the truck when not in use?

Thanks
Old 12-02-2011, 03:45 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram
Trim Level: Slt Big Horn CC
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
CaddyRam is on a distinguished road

Amp Research. Love mine. Super easy to remove when not needed. I use mine extended during the work week and closed on the weekends. Excellent product.
Mufflex18,limo tint,DNX 6960w/rearview camera, sirrius satellite,DVD,Nav,radar detector/video camera mount, Damplifier.Ez down tailgate assist,bed extender, LineX,relocated rearwindow switch,custom twin filter air intake,custom front/rear center consoles w10'' Kappa and LED lighting.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Color: Deep Ocean/ Water Blue
Rep:65
MrGoodbar will become famous soon enough

thanks for the info fellas...been debating about this especially since i have the quad fold dodge truck bed cover.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 crew cab 2wd
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:119
Mopar Big Horn will become famous soon enoughMopar Big Horn will become famous soon enough

I agree with most here, I had one on my previous truck (Sonoma) and I just bought the Mopar one but haven't installed yet maybe this weekend if the weather is nice.I mostly used mine inside and some extended. It is nice to have when you need it but sometimes it can be a pain. I am little nervous as to how the tailgate "hoops" will work, I think I would prefer a different way but I guess I will find out soon enough.