DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-07-2013, 07:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport 1500 True Blue
Rep:91
nikeman will become famous soon enough
Default Can someone explain the warranty with tires?

I have about 600 miles on my truck and have had it just over 2 weeks now. I just washed (and plan to wax) the truck and when I was cleaning the drivers side front rim I noticed a chunk of my tire coming off. I have not hit a curb or anything that could possibly have caused this. I have NEVER seen this happen to any tire, let alone a brand new tire on a brand new truck. It's right under the a on the tire where it says wrangler or USA or something. It's over an inch long and it just doesn't make since to me. If I did hit a curb or something it would not look like that. Although I am 100% sure I did not hit any curbs or anything I am sure the dealer will try to blame me. What would you do? I try to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I am aware they the tires are probably not covered by Chrysler but rather Goodyear.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored links
Old 07-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

i would

call or show the dealership service dept. if you can
they will send you to a tire shop that deals with tire issues

personally, i would not have the dealership do anything, especially when it comes to balancing tires, the Janitor may be having a bad day & may not do it properly
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 07-07-2013, 08:03 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

As Gt said, go see your dealer and ask them to look at it, it may be a defect in the tire, if the dealer is far, put on your spare as this may be a safety issue and well better be safe than sorry. But ya, go see your dealer.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:14 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Correct. New car's tires are covered by their respect manufacturer. Most manufacturers will give a 12month warranty on the tire.

Unless a specific type of extended tire warranty is purchased [yes, they are available], your basic new car tire warranty will not cover things like punctures, sidewall damage or pretty much any type of visible tire damage. This is because the presumption is it's a user error issue as opposed to a parts malfunction/defect.

However, if you're adamant that it's nothing you've done, then you just may have grounds for replacement.

I would contact your dealership ASAP and notify them [so it's documented and memorialized] and then pursue whatever avenue they direct you on [tire manufacturer].

Good luck.

Grub out!
Old 07-07-2013, 11:12 PM

Thanks guys. I'm going to the dealer in the morning. I tried to post pictures but my Internet is being stupid on my computer. I remember a similar post on here before I got my truck but I can't find it now. I'm curious what happened to that guy.

It's hard to explain without the pictures but there a piece as wife as my fingernail and fairly thick that is kinda peeled back to where you can see white stuff behind it. Then there is a line from the corner of that that goes about 2" where if I tried I could peel it back just like the first chunk. It's almost like the sidewall is coming apart. That or someone really weak tried to slash my tire. Not sure wtf is going on with it but its rediculous. Ill keep trying to post pics. I wish I could use photobucket on my iPhone.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:20 PM

I can use photobucket on my phone!!!!

Old 07-08-2013, 04:14 PM

Went to dealership and right away they tell me I hit something to cause the damage. I got irritated by that and told them I absolutely did not hit anything and I was the only one who has driven it. Then I showed them how the area was spreading and pointed out that me hitting something could not cause that damage unless I got hit by a flying knife that somehow hit it at a strange angle just hard enough to peel back a chunk. They finally got someone else to look and he took a picture to send off to Chrysler. Should know something by tomorrow. Ill have to remind them that this is my second new truck purchase from them in 2 years. How cheap are these tires that they put on my $45k truck!!?
Old 07-08-2013, 04:31 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Keep us posted, hope they get things right.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Express
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:92
Graygoose will become famous soon enough

Most tires manufactures wont cover sidewall damage, it does look cut....good luck.

2011 White Ram Express, KMC Slides, Nitto 420s 22's,Extang Trifecta, GF leveling kit, KICKER sound system,CodeAlarm remote start, '13 Retroshop Headlights and Tail lights, Bedrug, MGP Caliper covers, LED reverse lights, AAC interior LED and licence plate LEDs, BT Catch Can,Weathertech mats
Old 07-08-2013, 11:22 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Hemi express quad
Trim Level: ST express
Color: Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:195
RAM EM has a spectacular aura aboutRAM EM has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeman View Post
I can use photobucket on my phone!!!!

I hate to say it, but I worked in/managed a tire shop for almost 10 years, and that would get a road hazard call every time. Hopefully they will do something for you just because of short life of the tire and the fact you're a repeat customer. Good luck.

-DS Trinity- Hemifever tuned - 18" Magnaflow - BT catch can - 180 Tstat - 22" SRT10's - 305/45 Nitto 420 - SG 2/4 drop - blacked out heads/tinted tails - dechromed/debadged - 20% tint-