DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: 1500 SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
dacv01 is on a distinguished road
Default coolant problem

my 1998 dodge 1500, (which i bought cheap beacuse of a few problems) seems to be having a coolant problem. When i first bought it the reservoir bottle was almost empty, but the truck was running fine in the 98 degree heat. i filled the bottle, and noticed a few days later it was down about an inch. I just filled it to the brim today, and checked it later and its down about 3 inches from the top. I smell coolant around the motor but not inside the car. Doesnt appear to be any oil in coolant or vice versa.
Sponsored links
Old 07-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Former Senior Member

Vehicle: 95
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

There is a coolant fill level on the bottle.

As the vehicle warms up the coolant expands and it's forcing it out of the system. It should be a few inches from the top. Check the bottle (expansion tank) for a line that says full (hot) and keep it at that level.

Overfilling it will do exactly what you describe.

The two bumps that are visible in the photo show the high and low levels. It IS actually called an expansion tank but due to the massacre of the English language and slang it has fallen by the wayside except to a very select few.

Last edited by Warlock III; 07-21-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

If your coolant loss is accompanied by occasional white smoke out of your tailpipes, you may well be burning coolant, which could be (Ecch) headgasket issues, intake manifold gasket issues, head issues, (big Ecch) OR, you may simply have a rotten hose feeding your coolant tank, being a relative simpleton, I would, (ecch, that hose tastes BADD) [and the contents thereof are known to be toxic, so do not swallow anything that comes out!!] pull the hose off that feeds the tank, seal one end of it, with a finger, and blow on the other end, or suck on it, to see if it is in need of replacement, which, being a 98, may be rotten. if you think it leaks at a neck, they make zipties for that... OR... as is in my case, I had to JB weld my overflow tank, due to something or other { can't remember what } chafing a pinhole thru it. One other thing I've had which was a most insidious leak, was the upper radiator hose on my 03 explorer clamp had snapped where it was not visible, and I was losing antifreeze via the clamp which looked good, but wasn't. hands on inspection with a little wiggle - jiggle action goes a long way, in my case, I had already bought a new radiator, cuz I figured it simply had to be the rad neck cracked, and with 206 k miles that HAD to be the prob, well, you know what they say about assumptions... Good Luck!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: slt
Color: Driftwood Satin Metallic
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
jabba974 is on a distinguished road

If your overflow tank isn't emptying out, I wouldn't worry about it...the level will change often...as its running it will empty out, and after you shut the engine off, or pressure in the system increases, the level will rise naturally....