DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-14-2013, 02:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram
Rep:10
Clocked92 is on a distinguished road
Default Help Please - Looking for a new Truck

Hi everyone,

I have been looking into buying a new truck for at least the last year now. I think I have it narrowed down between a New Raptor (not sure if I want SCAB or SCREW) and a new Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab. Yes I know they are two completely different trucks. Sorry that this may be a long read.

Could you please help answer some questions and give me some suggestions on what to do.

I live in Canada where we get 5 or 6 good months on winter. This last year we had record snow falls everywhere. I live in a small town and work in town so a commute is never more than 10 minutes which means that fuel economy is really not a concern. I would use the truck as a daily driver.

I do enjoy hunting in the fall and spring which involves quite a bit of gravel road driving along with trails (very few trees and large rocks). In the winter all the roads are covered in snow, sometimes feet of it. How does the Ram sport handle offroad driving? Does it have enough ground clearance for anything offroad? If I bought the Ram, I would probably have to add Tow Hooks, skid plates and possibly a lift or levelling kit along with new tires to make this truck offroad capable.

If I bought the Raptor, I don't know if I would choose a SCAB or SCREW. The SCAB's are very hard to come by around here and I would likely have to order one. I don't have any kids and won't for quite a few years (hopefully haha) so SCAB looks like a better option now. I do prefer extra room of a crew cab though. Which is why I would only get a Crew Cab in the Ram.

A Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 in canada is about $55,000 with the options I'd want and a Raptor is $65,000. I've been looking into my finances just to see what will work but hopefully everything will be good. Would you guys suggest the 6-speed or 8-speed? What about the air suspension?

I have yet to test drive either truck yet but I am looking to test a Ram out this week. Since there aren't many dealers that have Raptors in stock, and they cost so much, they aren't really eager to let you test drive one. What would you suggest for doing this. I don't really want to buy a used truck because you just can't be sure of how they were abused before.

What does everyone suggest? I really appreciate any advice and sorry about making a huge post for my first one. Thanks

Tanner
Sponsored links
Old 07-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:99
lbram81 will become famous soon enough

Your asking for opinions so you will get many different answers.

Mine: I love it when people compare the Raptor to a Ram 1500. The Raptor is in a league of it's own. I wouldn't compare that thing to any truck. It, in my opinion, is one big waste of money UNLESS you actually use it for what it was designed for and I still do not believe you could use it for that purpose without some modifying. I look at that truck and I think sand dunes and deserts, that's it.

For what you described you use a truck for, a Ram 1500 of ANY model is plenty for you. Toys you want on it are your call. I will be honest here, love my truck and am only dissapointed at the fact of some rust being on it and patiently waiting for Ram to ok the claim and get it fixed.

I climbed a snow covered hill last winter in my 2012 Express 4x4 were I hunt with the factory street tires on it. No problem.

Last edited by lbram81; 07-14-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram
Clocked92 is on a distinguished road

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to look at a '13 Sport Crew Cab on Friday.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

The 2014 Rams can be ordered now & they will start building them on or about July 22nd

So the new 2013s should soon go on Sale
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 07-15-2013, 07:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 dodge ram
Trim Level: sport
Color: silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
mike mc in canada is on a distinguished road

not sure on raptor pricing but as for your ram- it should be under $50,000. canadian. mine had every option available but the air suspension (2013 ram sport 8-speed quad cab 4x4...) $45,000 + tax. ordered dec 28/12 received 99 days later-(new 8-speed held things up) p.s. the new 8-speed is great.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST w/SXT pkg
Color: Black Gold Metalic
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
dparise is on a distinguished road

I think it comes down to, would you rather buy a truck that has all the "upgrades" done already or would you rather do them yourself. The Raptor is a sweet rig, seems very capable. That being said, I think either one will get the job done for you.

The Raptor will definitely stand out more than the Ram will, if that's your thing, but you'll pay for it. The Raptor will definitely come at a premium.

Not sure how you're planning on financing but I know around here you pay a premium for the Raptor because its an "SVT" vehicle, it doesn't qualify for the subvented rates or a lot of the incentives. Make sure you get some "real" pricing from the dealer not the internet pricing before you make a decision.

I think for the money you can't beat the Ram but that's just me.

I probably haven't helped but that's my $.02.

Good luck in your search, test drive the Ram you'll love it!
Old 07-16-2013, 08:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Longhorn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:55
Bruce E will become famous soon enough

Hi Tanner, I'm in northern Ontario, I use my truck for both off-road and long distance trips on weekends but only drive 5 minutes to work each day. I'm not a hard core off-roader but get into a lot of places that people think I'm nuts for going into. I have installed a Ready-lift SST which lifted the front 2.5" and the rear 1" along with 35" Mud terrain tires. I have not had any problems getting through 93% of the places I want to go. Truck has 125,000km on it now and I have had almost no issues mechanically other than recalls and general maintenance. Love the Ram. Picking up a new one this week, my three vehicles prior to this were all Fords and with the exception of one they were great trucks too. Good luck on your decision.