DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 07-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Red-Stripe Red-Stripe is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 53
Posts: 386
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep Power: 3
Rep:117
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough
Default

You guys must be talkin' residential, non-pro kind of offset. When I was buying wheels weekly for competitive racing, offset was always a positive number measured as the distance from most inner rim tire bead edge to axle hub side of the mounting flange. An 8" wide rim with the flange in the middle was a "4 inch offset".
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #12  
Old 07-17-2013, 06:13 PM
brandonjansen's Avatar
brandonjansen brandonjansen is offline
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Abbotsford, BC, Canada
Age: 23
Posts: 6,355
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Rep Power: 10
Rep:2036
brandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Stripe View Post
You guys must be talkin' residential, non-pro kind of offset. When I was buying wheels weekly for competitive racing, offset was always a positive number measured as the distance from most inner rim tire bead edge to axle hub side of the mounting flange. An 8" wide rim with the flange in the middle was a "4 inch offset".
That's backspacing.... Offset and backspacing are directly related. For example a 8" wide rim with a 0 offset has 4" of backspacing. A 10" wide rim with a 0 offset has 5" of backspacing. It's just two different ways of talking about the same thing. Has nothing to do with being "pro" or not....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-17-2013, 06:24 PM
Red-Stripe Red-Stripe is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 53
Posts: 386
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep Power: 3
Rep:117
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
That's backspacing.... Offset and backspacing are directly related. For example a 8" wide rim with a 0 offset has 4" of backspacing. A 10" wide rim with a 0 offset has 5" of backspacing. It's just two different ways of talking about the same thing. Has nothing to do with being "pro" or not....
Could be my old age, or the vodka going...Looks like the difference is the reference point is moved from the inner edge to the middle.

I still like what I am used to. At least it's all positive numbers, and you don't have to worry about getting the wrong wheels and the sales saying, "we thought you said +4, not -4"
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-17-2013, 06:27 PM
Red-Stripe Red-Stripe is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 53
Posts: 386
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep Power: 3
Rep:117
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough
Default

Now that I think about it, I remember one of the wheel companies I delt with stating in their catalog that the only dealt with backspacing because of the bad experiences with mix ups taking orders for measurement easily fouled by a + or -.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-17-2013, 06:29 PM
brandonjansen's Avatar
brandonjansen brandonjansen is offline
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Abbotsford, BC, Canada
Age: 23
Posts: 6,355
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Rep Power: 10
Rep:2036
brandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Stripe View Post
Could be my old age, or the vodka going...Looks like the difference is the reference point is moved from the inner edge to the middle.

I still like what I am used to. At least it's all positive numbers, and you don't have to worry about getting the wrong wheels and the sales saying, "we thought you said +4, not -4"
Ya it's definitely a little confusing at first. Now that I've dealt with it so much it's really easy to change between the two. Just something you learn I guess.

I definitely agree with you about that confusion as well. I'm always very clear to put a + or - sign between the offset number just so it's 100% clear.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:29 AM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors