DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2014 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2014 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2014 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-16-2013, 11:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:481
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

FWIW most of the hardcore Jeep guys I know hate any changes made to the Wrangler
Old 07-16-2013, 11:19 AM

Vehicle: 2013 1500, CC/6'4", Hemi/8 spd
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:352
DAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really nice

I know a lot of Jeep guys too. I'm a Jeep guy.

I think just about everyone agrees that the Pentastar was a big improvement for the JK though. Word around the campfire is Wrangler's are going to get the new diesel too.

But, yeah, first we all hated the YJ for the square head lights. Gradually we all realized it really was better than the CJ in most ways. Then we all hated the TJ for it's coil springs - but it only took us about half a second to realize how wrong we were and how the TJ was really way, way better than the YJ. Then we all hated the JK for it's mini van motor and curved lines and plastic and electronic nannies. Then we realized the new Rubi 44's are way stronger than the TJ 44's, and that the mid length arms ride way better than the TJ short arms and that the goofy looking flenders actually make fitting 35's or 37's on short lifts easy, and so on and so on.

I'm afraid the next round is going to bring IFS. Which will have ALL the Jeep guys absolutely HATING on it. Probably sell better than ever though. And with all the hard core go fast buggy guys doing IFS these days, it's pretty easy to build it to stand up to some pretty good wheeling. But, no doubt, that is a change that will be really hard to get used to!

- DAA
Old 07-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Rep:420
skytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really nice

I still have not been able to find any official 2014 fuel economy numbers or engine specs.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:18 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Maximum Steel
Rep:39
tev9999 is on a distinguished road

Automakers don't wait for a model year change over to fix bugs. Engineering changes are cycled through all year long. Once a "bug" is identified and a corrective action found, it goes into effect immediately - and quite likely what was already built gets fixed before it ships. Tons of stuff is done through software these days, and that is pretty easy to update.

I would expect next to no differences between a 2013 built this month and the first 2014s off the line, besides whatever cosmetic changes are planned.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Rep:420
skytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really nice

I'm in agreement with Tev999. Dodge has implemented running changes/improvements to their vehicles as the technology has become available.

I am just hoping there will be a nice pop in the MPG ratings of the new 2014's. Competition for highest MPG ratings has ultra high importance in the public eye and truck makers know that translates into sales. Ram has been switching to numerically lower rear axle rations as they work toward reducing fuel consumption. 3.21 rear ratio is now being delivered as standard, from what I read. Frankly, that is still a stout ratio but combined with the very aggressive O.D. ratio of the 8 speed auto, it should return very nice MPG to owners. (The performance rear axle ratios are 3.55, 3.92 and 4.10)
Old 07-16-2013, 02:29 PM

Vehicle: 2014 1500 limited crew
Trim Level: limited
Color: black
Rep:50
teflon74 will become famous soon enough

well tev do you work in a Chrysler assembly factory? I do and I will tell you many "fixes" get fixed for the next model year, sure software issues get sort of fixed as the year progresses, but the real fix comes in the change-over period when components are re-engineered to work properly. Its one reason y I don't like buying newly engineered vehicles I wait for the second build year.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:53 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

DAA, i too am a jeep guy. taking away the solid front axle would be like not being able to take the roof off. just wouldn't be a jeep any more.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:47 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500, CC/6'4", Hemi/8 spd
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Flame Red
Rep:352
DAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really nice

I hear ya!

- DAA
Old 07-16-2013, 04:07 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:481
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
DAA, i too am a jeep guy. taking away the solid front axle would be like not being able to take the roof off. just wouldn't be a jeep any more.
Agree, it'd be like doing away with manual trannies
Old 07-16-2013, 04:30 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Maximum Steel
Rep:39
tev9999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon74 View Post
well tev do you work in a Chrysler assembly factory? I do and I will tell you many "fixes" get fixed for the next model year, sure software issues get sort of fixed as the year progresses, but the real fix comes in the change-over period when components are re-engineered to work properly. Its one reason y I don't like buying newly engineered vehicles I wait for the second build year.
Chrysler supplier for many years at a few different Tier-1s, working directly with Chrysler Quality, Engineering, Star center, etc. If something was not working right at a plant or dealership we heard about it and fixed it. Also spent five years at the former Chrysler Electronics plant / engineering center in Alabama after it was sold.

Other than the new diesel (obviously a major change) and availability of front parking sensors I don't see anything really new for 2014. Hasn't this version of the Ram basically been the same since 2009? Seems like most complaints I have read have been related to uConnect, so that will be rolling software updates. The other big issue was the gearing mix-ups, but that appears to be logistics and no engineering.

If you take a 2013 CC 5.5', Hemi, 8 Speed Laramie built on July 15th and a 2014 CC 5.5', Hemi, 8 Speed Laramie with the same options built on July 31 - what will be different?

The "Entirely New Vehicle" hype is just that - marketing hype to generate interest. There is no such thing as a newly engineered vehicle any more. They are just a collection of sub-systems that get married together at various stages in the sub-system life cycle.

Last edited by tev9999; 07-16-2013 at 04:39 PM.