DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-17-2013, 07:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2750
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestbd22 View Post
Yeah, it's a good video. I watched it mainly to see his process and to see how he sprayed the lights. I followed his steps to the letter on the first light but had a really hard time hand polishing out the light scratches caused by the after clear wetsand. On the second light, I wetsanded VERY, VERY lightly and still had a hard time polishing it smooth. On the last light, I didn't wetsand after the clear at all. Just polished it really well with Mother's Ultimate and it looked just as good as the other two.
Starquest wins best step by step here.. Rep points.... And I am sorry but I do find it hilarious that you got a great step by step to tinting the tails and have the public safety badge .. Just awesome.
Tow mirrors up for all the haters
Sponsored links
Old 07-18-2013, 12:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express Regular Cab
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Kooker is on a distinguished road

Starquest, do you think the grit was a little too potent with the clear coat sanding and that's why the scratches were too hard to get out with polishing?
De-Badge, Blacked-out Grill and Tailgate Badges, Blacked-out Headlights and Taillights, Sublime Green G2 Caliper's, Retro-Solution 35w 8,000k HIDs, LED: (Tag Lights, Reverse Lights, Interior Lights), Ground Force 2" Rear Drop, 22" KMC Slide
Old 07-18-2013, 09:17 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:334
starquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Hemi Pride View Post
Starquest wins best step by step here.. Rep points.... And I am sorry but I do find it hilarious that you got a great step by step to tinting the tails and have the public safety badge .. Just awesome.
Glad you like it! And yes, I'm on the law enforcement side of public safety. How do you like that?? I checked my lights after I did them in both day and night conditions and am convinced that they are still more than functional and safe. Same goes for my tinted windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooker View Post
Starquest, do you think the grit was a little too potent with the clear coat sanding and that's why the scratches were too hard to get out with polishing?
Yes, I think that's exactly what it was. If I had access to a handheld electric buffer the scratches probably would have been a lot easier to polish out. But I don't and so I was doing it all by hand. 2500 grit or 3000 grit probably would have been a lot easier to polish afterward. But like I said, I did the third light (which was my passenger side tail light) last and didn't sand it at all...just polished it really good by hand and it turned out just as slick as the other two with a lot less effort. Unless you have trash in the clear or too much orange peel for your liking, I would totally skip the after clear sanding step.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestbd22 View Post
Glad you like it! And yes, I'm on the law enforcement side of public safety. How do you like that?? I checked my lights after I did them in both day and night conditions and am convinced that they are still more than functional and safe. Same goes for my tinted windows.
This is pretty awesome Yeah my tails are still perfectly visible and I have a lightbar with white reverse so I am actually brighter then not tinted cars. Haven't had trouble with my tinted headlight covers yet.. But I have 6000k HID's which I run all the time so during the day my lights are easily visable through them. At night I usually take them off when I know I am taking back roads but city driving I will leave on because they are still projecting light better then cars with foggy headlights.. And you can't tell I have them on unless you know because HID's just light em up. Tinted plate covers... Police dislike.. But I love them... What level Tint did you run for your windows?
Old 07-19-2013, 07:31 AM

starquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the rough

Here in NC anything less than 35% is not legal on the front windows. Which I personally think is pretty stupid since you can legally put whatever you want on the rear windows (behind the driver) on trucks, SUVs, or other vehicles that are intended to go offroad. Not to mention all the vehicles that come from the factory with very dark tint made into the rear windows.

My tint guy has an 18% tint that is supposed to match the factory dark tint very well so that's what I had him do. From the outside it matches great. From the inside, if you look through one window and then another you can see that the front tint is actually a hair darker than the rear tint. Put a light meter on it the other day and no wonder.....13.8%!!! Oh well, it looks great and I have never had an issue seeing out at night. I will never have another vehicle without tinted windows.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Rep:353
spoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nice

Well... in the end I opted not to do it... I appreciated all of the really helpful feedback and might still do it someday- My deciding factor.... I have two teenage kids... my daughter just started driving and even though my son has been driving for a few years we are all about safety and good driving habits and hyper-vigilence etc.... I just tried to imagine how I was going to explain to my kids how dad got a ticket for having "really cool looking tail lights"
Sometimes being a good example to your kids just removes all of your style points LOL!
Old 07-25-2013, 12:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiler View Post
Well... in the end I opted not to do it... I appreciated all of the really helpful feedback and might still do it someday- My deciding factor.... I have two teenage kids... my daughter just started driving and even though my son has been driving for a few years we are all about safety and good driving habits and hyper-vigilence etc.... I just tried to imagine how I was going to explain to my kids how dad got a ticket for having "really cool looking tail lights"
Sometimes being a good example to your kids just removes all of your style points LOL!
Yeah gotta worry bout the kids and keep them in line.. Well I went ahead and redid mine with wetsand.. 2 coats, 4-5 coats of clear coat, polished and waxed.. Came out real nice.. Look dark but light still comes through them fine.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Rep:353
spoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nice

Those really look good- My 4th gen tails would be super simple by comparison. No complex curves or projections of any kind on mine- just a sweeping curve. Your patience paid off.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiler View Post
Those really look good- My 4th gen tails would be super simple by comparison. No complex curves or projections of any kind on mine- just a sweeping curve. Your patience paid off.
Yeah the 3rd gens tails are a pain in the rear.. Had to go at them from all angles lol.. 4th would be so simple. I had to set up a table and be able to work all the way around for angles.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Hemi Pride View Post
Yeah the 3rd gens tails are a pain in the rear..
Not all of them!!! The 02-05 tails are super easy.

Looks good Canadian!! Still one of my favorite mods. The drop shackles are probably my fav followed by a second place tie between my tinted tails and my "Hemi" hood spears.