DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:420
skytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really nice
Default They're watching you

Driving somewhere? There's a government record of that

By ANNE FLAHERTY
WASHINGTON (AP) Chances are, your local or state police departments have photographs of your car in their files, noting where you were driving on a particular day, even if you never did anything wrong.
Using automated scanners, law enforcement agencies across the country have amassed millions of digital records on the location and movement of every vehicle with a license plate, according to a study published Wednesday by the American Civil Liberties Union. Affixed to police cars, bridges or buildings, the scanners capture images of passing or parked vehicles and note their location, uploading that information into police databases. Departments keep the records for weeks or years, sometimes indefinitely.
As the technology becomes cheaper and more ubiquitous, and federal grants focus on aiding local terrorist detection, even small police agencies are able to deploy more sophisticated surveillance systems. While the Supreme Court ruled in 2012 that a judge's approval is needed to track a car with GPS, networks of plate scanners allow police effectively to track a driver's location, sometimes several times every day, with few legal restrictions. The ACLU says the scanners assemble what it calls a "single, high-resolution image of our lives."
"There's just a fundamental question of whether we're going to live in a society where these dragnet surveillance systems become routine," said Catherine Crump, a staff attorney with the ACLU. The civil rights group is proposing that police departments immediately delete any records of cars not linked to a crime.
Law enforcement officials said the scanners can be crucial to tracking suspicious cars, aiding drug busts and finding abducted children. License plate scanners also can be efficient. The state of Maryland told the ACLU that troopers could "maintain a normal patrol stance" while capturing up to 7,000 license plate images in a single eight hour shift.
"At a time of fiscal and budget constraints, we need better assistance for law enforcement," said Harvey Eisenberg, chief of the national security section and assistant U.S. attorney in Maryland.
Law enforcement officials also point out that the technology is legal in most cases, automating a practice that's been done for years. The ACLU found that only five states have laws governing license plate readers. New Hampshire, for example, bans the technology except in narrow circumstances, while Maine and Arkansas limit how long plate information can be stored.
"There's no expectation of privacy" for a vehicle driving on a public road or parked in a public place, said Lt. Bill Hedgpeth, a spokesman for the Mesquite Police Department in Texas, which has records stretching back to 2008, although the city plans next month to begin deleting files older than two years. "It's just a vehicle. It's just a license plate."
Sponsored links
Old 07-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1893
gonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant future

hahaha someone will get heated over this.

i say who gives a shit. she's right, you are in public...nothing private. Plus who cares if you ain't doin anything wrong. Let them waste their time/resources/money. I just smile
JVC Arsenal KD, Bilstein 5100 adjustables [maxed], aFe Stage 2 Air Intake, Superchips 3865, Husky Floor Mats, Saddleman Camo Seat Covers, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler SI/DO, 20 % Tint. 35x12.5x17 Federal Couragia M/T, 17x8.5 VTEC Warlord wheels, -12mm offest.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

because its not their money, it is ours.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2583
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the police vehicles now have a device that takes a snap shot of all license plates & it is automatically transmitted to a central location, where it is checked for ownership, & wants & warrants or reported as having been stolen

Your cell phone if fairly new, can be tracked if stolen, by you just going onto a computer
a new cell phone that just came out, can be locked by you, all information is also erased & the phone is rendered useless, if it is stolen

your tv is equipped with a V chip & it tracks what you watch

do you trust your computer that has a built in camera & microphone ?? i don't

for several years now, most USA built vehicles have at least 2 tattle tale systems in them
The first one is called a EDR, (event data recorder) that records something like the last 30 seconds of driving, before something like an accident happens

the 2nd one is a wireless system, in the instance like ONSTAR in GM vehicles, the police can call ONSTAR & ONSTAR can disable your vehicle, by shutting down all but 2 cylinders, so you still have braking & steering, but no acceleration

I hope that no one that is paranoid reads this post
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 07-17-2013, 03:43 PM

huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

gt those are "pay for use services". the gov't is just spying. think we fought a war called the "revolution" to limit the power of the gov't. this is against the "bill of rights". wonder how long this thread will stay open before a mod locks it?

Last edited by huntergreen; 07-17-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Join the Dark Ram Side!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1517
DarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant future

Sure "they" may know what you are doing at any given time but, and this is a big one, "they" know in only the broadest sense. Sure, there may be a picture of your plate somewhere on some server at any given time. Big deal. The data may be there but there is so much of it it turns in to white noise.

Does anyone actually think someone is going to get bored one day and try and fined out what time you went to Starbucks to pick up your frappa-mocha-latte-chai-inno? No. If there is an Amber Alert and the vehicle matches yours then yes they will cross reference and see if your vehicle was in the vicinity. Know how to avoid that? Don't be a pedophile.

It's not like this data crosses someone called "The Government's" computer. There isn't one single person who looks at all these pictures, tracks your movements, scribbles them down, and updates a super secret Starbucks data base.

Is it an invasion of privacy? Are you really "private" driving around a public street? If YOU see something weird or funny don't you take a cell phone picture? You know the difference between the government and us? They have better cameras with larger hard drives.

Paranoid people please put on your aluminum foil hats before replying.
Magnaflow 14" Custom Install Bilstein 5100s Front Only Set at 2.8" Vararam Air Grabber Cravenspeed Stubby Antenna Dee Zee Tailgate Assist Billet Technology "The Punisher" Shift Knob Debadged doors and tailgate Plasti Dipped Grille Inserts The Punisher Grille and Tailgate Badges Exterior Chrome Delete 20" XD Series 795 Hoss LT305/55R20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T Cabin Air Filter BAKFlip Roll-X Tonneau Cover

Last edited by DarthRam; 07-17-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:46 PM

Vehicle: 2010 4.7l v8 4x4
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:160
Astartes has a spectacular aura aboutAstartes has a spectacular aura about

its just the start. It scares me because they will never stop and it will only get worse and worse...untill you wake up someday living in a world you wish never happend.

Just my 2 cents
Greater love has no one than this, that a man lay down his life for his brothers. -John 15:13

My Mods
Old 07-17-2013, 07:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 2500
Color: Red
Engine: 1996-1998 359ci (5.9L) Cummins 12-valve Diesel I6 215hp 440lb/ft(manual), 180hp 420lb/ft(auto)
Rep:17
Speedbeetle is on a distinguished road

I just saw this on the news. I love my country, but I hate my government. Even if it will be used for "good," it still isn't okay.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:02 PM

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Lariat
Color: Blue-ish
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:118
DRX350 will become famous soon enoughDRX350 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
gt those are "par use services". the gov't is just spying. think we fought a war called the "revolution" to limit the power of the gov't. this is against the "bill of rights". wonder how long this thread will stay open before a mod locks it?
But according to the Govt, the internet wasn't around, nor were computers, cars, electricity. So therefore it is a grey area that can be exploited "as needed".

I'll admit, I am more paranoid than most, but IT'S MY INFO! When I am out from the house, I used wifi, almost never mobile data, my facebook is super barren, and most of my personal emails I send are encrypted.

If anyone wants to know something about me, ask me, chances are I'll tell you (or punch you, depending), but don't go snooping through my stuff, that's how people get hurt...
Old 07-17-2013, 07:31 PM

not so much. the bill of covers individual rights regardless of the available tech.