DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-18-2013, 08:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Longhorn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:55
Bruce E will become famous soon enough

So they watch me, I'm not doing anything wrong so I don't care. The cost annoys me as I don't know if the cost to benefit ratio works out. Obviosly if they catch a bad guy this way that's good. I just worry that the cost is too high. By cost I am referring to my taxes.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:03 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: SLT, Big Horn
Color: Black Pearl coat
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:233
Ramzaq has a spectacular aura aboutRamzaq has a spectacular aura aboutRamzaq has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRam View Post
Sure "they" may know what you are doing at any given time but, and this is a big one, "they" know in only the broadest sense. Sure, there may be a picture of your plate somewhere on some server at any given time. Big deal. The data may be there but there is so much of it it turns in to white noise.

Does anyone actually think someone is going to get bored one day and try and fined out what time you went to Starbucks to pick up your frappa-mocha-latte-chai-inno? No. If there is an Amber Alert and the vehicle matches yours then yes they will cross reference and see if your vehicle was in the vicinity. Know how to avoid that? Don't be a pedophile.

It's not like this data crosses someone called "The Government's" computer. There isn't one single person who looks at all these pictures, tracks your movements, scribbles them down, and updates a super secret Starbucks data base.

Is it an invasion of privacy? Are you really "private" driving around a public street? If YOU see something weird or funny don't you take a cell phone picture? You know the difference between the government and us? They have better cameras with larger hard drives.

Paranoid people please put on your aluminum foil hats before replying.
Go to Google, type in any search term then look at the top. You will see how many returns and how long it took.

For instance, I typed in "Ram" and came back with these results:
About 771,000,000 results (0.25 seconds) (exact from Google)

Do you think some old guy sits at a computer and goes page by page. All someone has to do is type in a bunch of parameters and hit enter.

Now imagine you are at "Mr Greasy Steak" and you leave. At the same time the jewelry store next door gets robbed and someone is killed. They can track anyone in the area at that time by cell phone, gps in vehicle and cctv. So there is a good chance you will be checked out and might even receive a visit from someone to ask you questions and they may not be only questions about what you saw.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:09 PM
Join the Dark Ram Side!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1534
DarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzaq View Post
Go to Google, type in any search term then look at the top. You will see how many returns and how long it took.

For instance, I typed in "Ram" and came back with these results:
About 771,000,000 results (0.25 seconds) (exact from Google)

Do you think some old guy sits at a computer and goes page by page. All someone has to do is type in a bunch of parameters and hit enter.

Now imagine you are at "Mr Greasy Steak" and you leave. At the same time the jewelry store next door gets robbed and someone is killed. They can track anyone in the area at that time by cell phone, gps in vehicle and cctv. So there is a good chance you will be checked out and might even receive a visit from someone to ask you questions and they may not be only questions about what you saw.

The difference is Google's software searches for tags and words already on existing web pages and saves them on Google's server network. When you are searching the web for Ram, you are actually searching Googles servers, not every individual web site. Pictures taken from the various cameras aren't linked together on a "web". They are localized in the sense the video recording from BestBuy isn't on the same network as the highway speed cameras are. Nobody is actually going to BestBuy looking through the pictures, seeing a red Ram or green Volvo are in them, counting the occupants, and tagging all this info to digitally save them on a one single central database. Then going to Starbucks looking through the pictures, seeing a red Ram or green Volvo are in them, counting the occupants, and tagging all this info to digitally save them on the same central database.

Now, I agree if someone is shot in the BestBuy parking lot and the footage reviewed by the police has a picture of my truck pulling away at the same time then yes I expect a visit from the police. That is their job. To look for criminals. That's why BestBuy and companies (And police departments with traffic cams) like it invest all this money, to catch someone doing something they shouldn't.

As for the part about "...ask you questions and they may not be only questions about what you saw.", that is where the paranoia kicks in.
Magnaflow 14" Custom Install Bilstein 5100s Front Only Set at 2.8" Vararam Air Grabber Cravenspeed Stubby Antenna Dee Zee Tailgate Assist Billet Technology "The Punisher" Shift Knob Debadged doors and tailgate Plasti Dipped HEMI Badge The Punisher Grille and Tailgate Badges Exterior Chrome Delete 20" XD Series 795 Hoss LT305/55R20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T Cabin Air Filter BAKFlip Roll-X Tonneau Cover

Last edited by DarthRam; 07-18-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:47 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 8-speed
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:883
RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen1dak View Post
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

If I'm not doing anything wrong, why are they watching me?
You feel safe knowing a camera will be there to record something horrible happening to someone? Wouldn't it be better to prevent it in the first place? You don't do that with cameras. That approach reminds me of a scene in "Full Metal Jacket" when the DI finds one guy has a jelly donut. So, he punishes everyone else then tells the soldier, "Here! They're paying for it, you eat it!" I wonder just how much more bassackwards things can get.
Whilst I agree that Franklin was a great man, you seem to forget that he has been dead for more than 200 years.

As an inventor, I'm sure he would be pleased with the way we as a society have grown, and would likely embrace technology rather than hide from it.

"Wouldn't it be better to prevent it in the first place?"

Yes the world needs more George Zimmerman's!
Old 07-18-2013, 08:00 PM

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

How does a society grow if it disregards the contributions of anyone simply because they are dead? How about Washington? Jefferson? Lincoln? Einstein? Tesla? Westinghouse? Hughes? How about Steve Jobs, or has he not been dead long enough? Times change. People do not. Those "dead" people were smart enough to know that.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I recently ask my cities police department why there were no cameras focused on the 2 buildings next door
The police are there almost every day, sometimes as many as 3 times in a day !!!
the police will not show up until at 2 or more law enforcement vehicles are near the location
They know for sure that they are dealing drugs, drinking in public, noise complaints, vandalizing buildings, vehicles, etc., but have never caught them in the act. When the local Sheriff helicopter is in the air, our police dept. has asked them to do a fly over if possible. The only 2 things that they have not yet done is bring a drug sniffing dog with them & there is no damn CAMERA
What is cheaper, a $300 camera or 3 police vehicles, 6 officers, & a helicopter circling overhead ??

Tonight being Thursday, next door will look like a McDonalds Drive Through on a weekend, the only difference is that next door does not have a circular driveway
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 07-18-2013, 08:56 PM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSmart View Post
Yes the world needs more George Zimmerman's!
I agree with the verdict of not guilty of 2nd degree murder. But right or wrong the world doesn't need any more cowards becoming policemen. We have enough cowardess acts of murder coming from police without a Zimmerman. He would never make a good cop much less a gun toting security guard. Was he in uniform to be recognized as security, did he acknowledge he was a security gaurd, did he fire any warning shots? None of the above, he screamed for help when he was getting his a$$ whipped even though he had a gun on him...wtf? Travon was wrong and was guilty of aggravated battery on Zimmerman. Zimmerman was guilty of manslaughter...possibly involuntry but can only be tried once in a court of law. The trial was illegal as as was the case not going to grand jury. And the presidents flaming remarks about the incident didn't help, it made it worse. Not to mention the judge herself was wrong when she ordered that the jury could find the defendent guilty of a lesser charge. I am all for the right to bear arms and even stand your ground. But this was not the case, it could have been prevented had he had balls to say the least. If you don't have any balls you don't deserve to be a cop or carry a concealed gun in public. This was not a case of someone being mugged in public where he would have deserved to have been shot dead. This was a case where a wanna be half a$$ security gaurd should have used his head and not violent force. You don't put a gun in a cowards hand and tell him to patrol the streets. Nothing wrong with wanting justice but there's ways of doing it right and lawful. Only an idiot would hire this guy as a security gaurd after seeing this trial.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:06 PM

RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
I recently ask my cities police department why there were no cameras focused on the 2 buildings next door
The police are there almost every day, sometimes as many as 3 times in a day !!!
the police will not show up until at 2 or more law enforcement vehicles are near the location
They know for sure that they are dealing drugs, drinking in public, noise complaints, vandalizing buildings, vehicles, etc., but have never caught them in the act. When the local Sheriff helicopter is in the air, our police dept. has asked them to do a fly over if possible. The only 2 things that they have not yet done is bring a drug sniffing dog with them & there is no damn CAMERA
What is cheaper, a $300 camera or 3 police vehicles, 6 officers, & a helicopter circling overhead ??

Tonight being Thursday, next door will look like a McDonalds Drive Through on a weekend, the only difference is that next door does not have a circular driveway
Funny, lol! You should involve you local news organizations...possibly film it and take it to them first but don't get caught or hurt in the process.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Hemi Pride View Post
Last summer when I had my 08 pontiac torrent I got a letter from the MTO (ministry of transportation Ontario) stating that my vehicle was spotted on the 403 (Main highway) asking where I was coming from and where my destination was and how many times a week I do the drive. Creepy.. Very creepy.
I adopted dog which is mandatory to pay for a micro chip and shots. It took a couple of weeks to pass qualification to adopt him. Within a few weeks after I got him I recieved a call from the people who montor the chip and asked where my dog was located. I'm like why are these people asking me this? They have all of my information about me when I adopted him. They should know he is in my yard or house within a 10 radius. I went through all kinds of crap to qualify for this adoption. My house add and whether a fenced in yard, my credit and even had to get animal related adoption friends to vouch for me. I never knew anything about this breed other than his puppy dog please take me home look. I told them everything they wanted to know. It wasn't till a few minutes after that I realized I could have been duked. I never looked into it but yes that was creepy for me too. Now you have me thinking who is monitoring this chip.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:21 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 8-speed
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:883
RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen1dak View Post
How does a society grow if it disregards the contributions of anyone simply because they are dead? How about Washington? Jefferson? Lincoln? Einstein? Tesla? Westinghouse? Hughes? How about Steve Jobs, or has he not been dead long enough? Times change. People do not. Those "dead" people were smart enough to know that.
You have to read the whole paragraph, and not just part of it or else your comments don't support the argument.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."