DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-18-2013, 07:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
97ramsport1500 is on a distinguished road
Default No power pathetic.

Traded a 1984 Camaro Z28 for this beautiful ram not knowing the issues with it, it was better the the Camaro by far but no to sure anymore, the poor thing had no power at all and likes to backfire going up hills and it straves for gas, it will have tons of power then none and its just getting worse, penulumn pan was not the issue on it and whenever it starts to die I go out under the truck and smack the fuel tank with a hammer and it runs fine again indicating a clogged filter which I will replace soon, but the engine oil lamp keeps coming in and flashing at idle! Then when you accelerate it goes away yet this only happens after about 5 mins of driving why does it do that some kinda sensor? It sure doesn't sound good when you rev you can hear it sucking air, then quits, thensucks then quits... Please help I need to have this truck up and running so I can tow my project 1986 trans am home..
Sponsored links
Old 07-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Lariat
Color: Blue-ish
Rep:118
DRX350 will become famous soon enoughDRX350 will become famous soon enough

How's the oil pressure?
Old 07-18-2013, 12:56 PM
aixelsyD morf sreffuS

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1711
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Well, first of all, there is no fuel filter and the pump isn't going to take the kick start forever. When you're out on some deserted road somewhere in the dark, with no tools, in the pouring rain. The kick start isn't going to work and you're going to blame the truck for leaving YOU stranded.

The coughing, backfiring, etc is because it isn't getting fuel. Not to mention with no fuel it isn't going to idle correctly, it's going to drop under 500 RMP and cause intermittent oil pressure causing the light to flicker.

It sounds like you MIGHT have another issue but until the fuel pump hires someone to replace it, I guess we'll have to ask Mr. Owl.

How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie-roll center of a tootsie-pop?

You're absolutely right. The TRUCK is pathetic.

Oh, I know...maybe you should trade it for one of these:

That's a 3rd gen (F-body) firebird.

How many miles on the truck, and when was the last oil change? After the oil warms up it becomes thinner known as thermal breakdown. This causes the oil to lose viscosity. Depending on the mileage on the oil, and on the truck it may be as simple as a new filter and oil. If it's a high mileage truck you can use 20W-50 in the summer.

What most people don't realize is what the "W" in oil weight stands for.

In the "winter" (cooler weather) a vehicle's oil becomes thicker after standing overnight. 20 Winter-50 indicates that the oil has a weight of 20 upon start-up and decreases in weight to 50 at running temperature. Due to the tolerances and worn clearance of your engine...in conjunction to a low idle due to fuel pressure there could be multiple reasons for the light to flicker, however they may be due to neglect.

Last edited by Warlock III; 07-18-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Nope idk I heard a bunch of different problems that it doesn't. I'm Mnot some ignorant f***
All I wanted was some help with my truck. Not a bunch of sarcastic remarks. Honestly I have never owned a dodge before. I'm not trading my truck I like it, its old it needs work things break so what 372,000, I gave it an oil change about a month ago and I don't drive it since I injured myself at work oil pressure stays the same ill have to tell you in a bit when I can limp to the truck, yes ill replace the fuel pump when I have money. I'm just asking for help.... And suggestions.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

And I wasn't the one who neglected it I cannot make excuses for the moron who owned the truck before me and failed to maintain it prior to bartering it with me. I took the truck on a gamble and I realize it needs work. If it needs an engine rebuild I will do that aswell I really don't care.. and actually yes there is a fuel filter its located within the pump assembly.. or as I been told. Whatever I will replace it. No harm done. It's a good truck...
Old 07-18-2013, 09:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT QC 4x4
Color: Mineral grey
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:109
Simple guy will become famous soon enoughSimple guy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock III View Post
What most people don't realize is what the "W" in oil weight stands for.

In the "winter" (cooler weather) a vehicle's oil becomes thicker after standing overnight. 20 Winter-50 indicates that the oil has a weight of 20 upon start-up and decreases in weight to 50 at running temperature. Due to the tolerances and worn clearance of your engine...in conjunction to a low idle due to fuel pressure there could be multiple reasons for the light to flicker, however they may be due to neglect.
I think you got that a bit backwards. Lower number is the thinner oil. 20w-50 would be at 50 winter temperature and 20 at operating temps.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:54 AM
aixelsyD morf sreffuS

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1711
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple guy View Post
I think you got that a bit backwards. Lower number is the thinner oil. 20w-50 would be at 50 winter temperature and 20 at operating temps.
Yes I did post it backwards. Thank you for pointing that out.

I didn't imply that you were ignorant, nor that YOU has neglected the truck, merely that it MAY have been neglected to a certain extent.

The fuel pump has nothing to do with neglect. As a matter of fact, I'd say it has lived a long life. Moreover, I do believe that the fuel pump is the major issue with the truck and wanted to point out that it's only going to take the bump start for a limited time as it's now running on borrowed time. Failure is imminent and I don't want to see you stalling on an open freeway or at another inopportune time.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: slt
Color: Driftwood Satin Metallic
jabba974 is on a distinguished road

My Ram throws a oil light at idle when its warm...but no noise or ticking, and it has less then 20,000 miles on a rebuild....so it could be a bad oil pressure sender...But I would replace the fuel pump assyembly...sounds like ts going out/getting clogged...
Old 07-26-2013, 08:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I think i'll be getting to the pump sometime in the next 2 or 3 weeks, money situation is hard, lost my job due to my injury which is finally almost healed, almost lost my second toe in, sliced the tip off, and it wasn't healing finally it did.. Thank you for all your help! Will report back once the pump is replaced.