DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-18-2013, 03:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
gxm82 is on a distinguished road
Question A/C Working Hard

It may just be the temperatures we are seeing here in the midwest but I am questioning how well my A/C is working. We are seeing temperatures nearing 100 degrees right now. Just grabbed lunch with some fellow employees and the truck just didn't seem to cool off as much as I think it should.

I am also noticing that there is little to no condensation hitting the ground. When I pull the truck out of the garage in the morning there is usually a little puddle on the passengers side (on the ground) but no dripping like I am used to with other vehicles. I did check the carpet on the passengers side as well and it is bone dry.

Could just be because it is so warm but it seems weird. Anyway thought I might see if any of you that live in the hotter part of the country have any experience with A/C performance in this type of heat.

Thanks for the feedback.
Sponsored links
Old 07-18-2013, 03:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 1500 ram sport
Trim Level: Luxury sport group
Color: black
sergiomomesso is on a distinguished road

Even up here in Northern British Columbia where we top out at 35 C my AC isnt working as well as my most recent vehicles. (07 ram, 09 Liberty, 99 Grand Cherokee, 02 Silverado, 94 Camaro) It seems like there is too much cab space for it to cool down fast.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:49 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Silver
Rep:32
davidgcet is on a distinguished road

keep in mind too you have a black vehicle, they suck up heat on a hot sunny day.

on my Outdoorsman CC it takes a few minutes to start blowing cold, but really no different than my old '04 Ram 1500 SLT did. My wife's '12 Ram 1500 SLT takes about the same time to get cold too. One thing i have noticed is in mine it seems to be colder since i have tinted windows, where in her's the direct sunlight will make part of you hot and part of you cold!
Old 07-18-2013, 04:55 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM Sport CC 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:623
bighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to all

Im in chicago and my AC right now is only blowing super cold at night. Its completely normal with all this humidity and very hot temps.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:24 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Hemi Regular Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:277
GrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the rough

Temp here is 97....heat index is 105 in NJ.......a/c working good. just got out of the truck. I don't see a lot of condensation,... just think it is evaporating under hot chassis and on hot ground surface.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
gxm82 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies everyone. I figured having a black truck would add to the problem but I guess I never experienced this on any of my other new vehicles. My Sierra blew ice cold and cooled the cab pretty quickly. Then again we don't get many days with this type of heat in southeastern Wisconsin.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:22 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Express 3.6/8 speed auto
Trim Level: Express
Color: WHITE
Rep:902
oldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to behold

Are you letting some of the built up cabin heat out first? My "white" truck sits outside at work all day, 6am to 330pm, in the direct sun on a concrete parking lot. When I get in I open both windows and start moving with the AC on full. It is blowing cold almost immediately, but everything in the cab is still radiating heat. I slowly raise windows as I'm driving letting more absorbed heat get out, then go to recirculate. Within 10 miles truck is very cool. After 20mins I have to turn down the AC. That's a big cab to cool down and mines just a standard cab let alone a quad cab.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Drew a conclusion

Vehicle: 2012 1500 reg. cab 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3230
PaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhp View Post
Are you letting some of the built up cabin heat out first? My "white" truck sits outside at work all day, 6am to 330pm, in the direct sun on a concrete parking lot. When I get in I open both windows and start moving with the AC on full. It is blowing cold almost immediately, but everything in the cab is still radiating heat. I slowly raise windows as I'm driving letting more absorbed heat get out, then go to recirculate. Within 10 miles truck is very cool. After 20mins I have to turn down the AC. That's a big cab to cool down and mines just a standard cab let alone a quad cab.
Exactly. I park in the shade at work in the a.m. Going to lunch, the a/c cools the truck down in a couple of minutes. But alas, as the sun moves west, I lose my shade in the p.m and the truck is like an oven. The a/c is blowing ice cold, but just can't overcome the hot interior until 10 or so minutes. And, I do oldhp's window trick as well. It is a must.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:49 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram 1500 4x4 express rcsb
Color: true blue pearl
Rep:101
browndawg will become famous soon enoughbrowndawg will become famous soon enough

im in west central Illinois and my a/c is cold fast. granted I have tinted windows and a reg cab. the truck cools down real quick and pisses a lot of water on the ground. u should be getting a fair amount of water draining out. u could always just pop in somewhere and have em check it out.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Power Wagon
Trim Level: SLT
Rep:256
battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
Exactly. I park in the shade at work in the a.m. Going to lunch, the a/c cools the truck down in a couple of minutes. But alas, as the sun moves west, I lose my shade in the p.m and the truck is like an oven. The a/c is blowing ice cold, but just can't overcome the hot interior until 10 or so minutes. And, I do oldhp's window trick as well. It is a must.

Make that x3, I do the same. And we get temps north of 110 where I am at, though not very humid.