DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
RLabbe is on a distinguished road
Default Headlights working Intermittently

Need some help. My passenger side headlights work intermittently. Both low and high beam just go out from time to time, they will both work for a couple days and then they wont for a couple days. I took it to the shop to see if they could find a short or loose connection with no luck but, of course they were working when I brought it in and we couldnt make it duplicate the problem. Even changed the bulbs thinking maybe by some odd coincidence they both burt out at the same time, even though I rarely use my high beams. The driver side lights are both working fine. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored links
Old 07-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearlcoat
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2028
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Sure sounds like a ground wire is lose somewhere in the connection on that side.

My passenger side ground on the headlight went out killing the functions of that side(low/high beam).

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram
Trim Level: sport q/c
Color: hunter green pearl
cawish33 is on a distinguished road

same here and when i disconnect the connector the 3 little pin was not properly insterted so i take my long nose plier and pull them a bit and reconnect and BOOM problem fix !!
Old 07-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks guys. I'll look into that this afternoon.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:25 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:657
huntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to behold

how did the advice work out for you.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:33 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLabbe View Post
Need some help. My passenger side headlights work intermittently. Both low and high beam just go out from time to time, they will both work for a couple days and then they wont for a couple days. I took it to the shop to see if they could find a short or loose connection with no luck but, of course they were working when I brought it in and we couldnt make it duplicate the problem. Even changed the bulbs thinking maybe by some odd coincidence they both burt out at the same time, even though I rarely use my high beams. The driver side lights are both working fine. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
I had my truck in for servicing for the same issue. The technician ended up cutting out the connector pin (main wiring harness to main wiring harness to headlight assembly). At first I was pissed that he did this. I was like, "How am I going to disconnect my headlight now if I have to?" "Simple," he said. Just unplug the harness INSIDE the headlight assembly and then pull the wires thru.
He recommended I do the same to the other light. That Dodge knows about the problems with the harness. He could have put in a replacement harness but down the road I would likely have the same issue. And maybe not under warranty. This fix was done almost 2 months ago, and since then I have not had a single "bulb-out" issue.

BTW: I had a bent pin in the beginning. The tech originally tried to bend back the pin. Everything seemed to be working. I pick up my truck, drive it for a while and discover I have no DRL on the left side. WTF. That's when the tech decided to cut out the bad part.

Good luck
Old 07-19-2013, 01:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well, I checked the ground and it was a little loose. Tightened it up, checked the pins, they all looked good, and havent had another issue. So, I'm hoping the ground was the problem. I guess if it happens again I will have to check the harness itself but, hopefully that got it. Appriciate everyones advise. My truck is just out of warranty so if I can fix it I would rather do that than pay a shop. Thanks again!
Old 07-21-2013, 11:20 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:657
huntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to behold

hope that was the fix and all is well.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

The lights are working great "knock on wood". I did have to replace my driver side rear door lock actuator Friday afternoon. Don't know how long it hasn't been working but, my son opened the door when it was locked and the horn started blowing. FYI, apparently it has some type of alarm on it. Then driving through a rain storm in South Louisiana, my daughter noticed my rear window was leaking. Over all I have been very pleased with my truck but, here lately it has been giving me some minor troubles. Such as life. Still a great truck!