DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-20-2013, 12:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn SLT
Color: Khaki-ish, tan-ish, gray-ish
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
CraigDG1029 is on a distinguished road
Default Superchips flashpaq 4.7?

I'm looking into getting the superchips tuner. I had originally planned on spending some money on a bull bar because i thought tuners were overrated, can shorten engine life and cost about $500 but apparently i'm wrong. I can get the superchips flashpaq for less than a quality piece of metal to make my truck look good. My question is are teh superchips tuners worth the money? My truck has a CAI, dual exhaust, a level/lift, and bigger tires. I have a 2008 with the flexfuel 4.7 and i'm getting about 16 mpg combined and i drive through a tank and a half a week. Would it be worth my money to get a tuner? i'm hoping to increase power and help fuel economy but i'm hesitant on whether or not it will be a significant enough gain on either front.
Sponsored links
Old 07-20-2013, 02:48 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2918
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

You can't go wrong with the SC tuner. It will give you some extra HP and a bit more MPG, say 1 or 2. It'll also let you calibrate your speedo with those bigger tires. I've seen them on Amazon for about $280.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

A good tuner is typically the best bang for the buck mod you can do performance wise.

The superchips for the 2008+ 4.7L provides tremendous power increase. You will see nearly 70hp and 70lbft of torque increase on the 93 octane tune(MAX gain, not PEAK gain), and IIRC it's about 50-60hp increase on the 87 octane tune. It is a huge difference and pretty noticeable. And this is not BS, superchips posts dyno's on their site.

Aside from the power increase, you get to adjust other things like rev limiter, speed limiter, shift rpm, torque management, and for an additional $40 or so can buy advanced trans control and make your own shift schedules. Plus the other things you can do like adjust for larger tires, etc.

As long as you don't reduce torque management to 0 or next to nothing you will not cause any harm to your truck. I know a lot of guys who have been using diablo and superchips products for 100k+ miles and longer with absolutely no issues. And some of my buddies really beat the hell out their vehicles.

Personally, I use the superchips on my 2010 4.7L and love it. I have 80k miles. I don't beat the hell out of my truck but I use it and have fun in it. The only times I've seen issues/damage from tuners is when torque management is drastically reduced or completely removed. And this is typically only the guys that have wild mods, turbo, nitrous, etc.

Get it, you won't regret it

*also, although it should increase mpg slightly, I wouldn't count on it. Don't expect it because everyone seems to see a difference here. Some claim no change, some claim 3mpg increase. Just get it for the power, driveability, etc, and don't expect more than 1 mpg increase and you'll be happy.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:12 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2918
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, what ^^^^^Sean^^^^^ said.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn SLT
Color: Khaki-ish, tan-ish, gray-ish
Rep:10
CraigDG1029 is on a distinguished road

I'm also looking into the vivid linq. I like the idea of mounting my android tablet maybe angled toward me on the flip down console and making some kind of mount so I have a little 8" control station. Thoughts?
Old 07-20-2013, 08:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3872
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

You can't go wrong with Superchips.

They've surpassed my expectations on several vehicles owned..... every time.

Grub out!
Old 07-21-2013, 01:27 AM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

anyone needing pricing on anything SuperChips let us know we would be more than happy to get one out to you at the lowest prices around? find a great deal on Amazon? WE WILL GIVE YOU A BETTER ONE just shoot us an email to sales@bullysperformance.com and we will get you taken care of.

Thanks
Jeremiah
Bully's Performance

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
July Blowout Sale! 10% over cost and free shipping on any and all in stock items!