DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-25-2013, 08:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 2500
Trim Level: big horn
Color: grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:31
autokraftgt is on a distinguished road

My thinking is this...
If you go with a pair of 12's, it's in your best interest to run a sealed box due to space limitations, and the 12's will be happier. Because of the sealed fashion, it's also in your best interest to run a GOOD amount of power....500+ watts to each 12. (Iam running 500 watts to each Black, and I need a little more power IMO. (soon to come lol)
Subs in a sealed enclosure will always be able to handle more power than in a ported enclosure (subs being the same of course)
If you go with a pair of 10's, you may be able to run ported and will be able to get away with less power/ sub.....say 250-300 watts/ea.
SO,
running 12's will cost you a bit more money but I think it will be worth it.
You have to find a 12" sub that is comfortable in a 1 cu/ft box (sealed) because you basically have 2-3cu/ft available with netaudio or fox. Give or take...
Iam extremely happy with my Blacks (used to run Type R's & Type S before I bought Blacks)...and with 500 watts they are barely breaking a sweat!
Since Blacks may be out of your budget, and it seems you want more of an SQ sounding sub that is musical....highly consider Arcs "ARC" series 12"...they retail for $259 but Iam sure you can find them cheaper...remember, Netaudio is an arc dealer and he will build your box for those subs and you will be good to go.
OR Very much consider Image Dynamics IDQ 12...they sound just as good...I have personal experience with both subs and you will be happy happy.

And yes, a 12" will be more comfortable hitting lower tones than a 10" relatively speaking....lots of variables involved yes, but for the most part your statement is true.
Sponsored links
Old 07-25-2013, 01:12 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Hemi Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:38
knobert is on a distinguished road

Still think you should look at the Auto Tuba, if you have already compromised on box size you can't do any better than this.

http://billfitzmaurice.net/autotuba.html

Old 07-25-2013, 03:48 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Black
Rep:10
IBEWSteve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by autokraftgt View Post
My thinking is this...
If you go with a pair of 12's, it's in your best interest to run a sealed box due to space limitations, and the 12's will be happier. Because of the sealed fashion, it's also in your best interest to run a GOOD amount of power....500+ watts to each 12. (Iam running 500 watts to each Black, and I need a little more power IMO. (soon to come lol)
Subs in a sealed enclosure will always be able to handle more power than in a ported enclosure (subs being the same of course)
If you go with a pair of 10's, you may be able to run ported and will be able to get away with less power/ sub.....say 250-300 watts/ea.
SO,
running 12's will cost you a bit more money but I think it will be worth it.
You have to find a 12" sub that is comfortable in a 1 cu/ft box (sealed) because you basically have 2-3cu/ft available with netaudio or fox. Give or take...
Iam extremely happy with my Blacks (used to run Type R's & Type S before I bought Blacks)...and with 500 watts they are barely breaking a sweat!
Since Blacks may be out of your budget, and it seems you want more of an SQ sounding sub that is musical....highly consider Arcs "ARC" series 12"...they retail for $259 but Iam sure you can find them cheaper...remember, Netaudio is an arc dealer and he will build your box for those subs and you will be good to go.
OR Very much consider Image Dynamics IDQ 12...they sound just as good...I have personal experience with both subs and you will be happy happy.

And yes, a 12" will be more comfortable hitting lower tones than a 10" relatively speaking....lots of variables involved yes, but for the most part your statement is true.
Thank you for all your input! I really have settled on a sealed box for 2 12" subs. I see that the Arc's are "optimal" @ 1.1" and the SA-12 is "optimal" @ 1.0" I wish I could hear the 2 different subs in person and then decide if the large difference in price, for my ears, is worth it. I would find a way to come up with the extra cash if it was worth it. That said, I am confident Net Audio can build a box for any sub, but their forte has got to be the brands they carry. I will see if I can get a deal on the Blacks I won't get my hopes up.

I have been reading about the IDQs and there is a lot of threads about their acoustical engineer, Eric Stevens, leaving the company and the quality going down hill? True or Not?

I am going to run the pair @ 2 ohm, and I think a 1500W rms amp should do the trick, but I am not too familiar with AMPs. I would like the ability to change the level of bass while in the driver seat. Can you suggest some 1500 Amps that would work? I see wordage like "Class D," "2 Channel, 4 Channel" etc

You've been a great help, rep points coming your way sir.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:05 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:184
bstc00 has a spectacular aura aboutbstc00 has a spectacular aura about

Class d is digital 2 channel means you can run two different set of speakers of one amp same gose for 4 channel and so on. Most mono amps come with a gain controller that you can control how much power is running to your subs. For example sundowns saz-1500 has one power accoustice 1200w amp has one as well. If you can't find amp with it then you could always buy one.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:10 PM

I looked it up and it's called a wired remote control
Old 07-25-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstc00 View Post
Class d is digital 2 channel means you can run two different set of speakers of one amp same gose for 4 channel and so on. Most mono amps come with a gain controller that you can control how much power is running to your subs. For example sundowns saz-1500 has one power accoustice 1200w amp has one as well. If you can't find amp with it then you could always buy one.

Does the AMP need to be digital? I would be fine with a mono 1500 w a gain controller and call it a day? I don't want to skimp on the power, so is the Sundown a solid amp? I'd like a good AMP without breaking the bank.

In my last vehicle, I needed a line converter so the system would work with the stock HU, is that needed here?

I only had a single 10" sub too, so for this, do I need to run a higher gauge wire?
Old 07-25-2013, 04:20 PM

No it does not need to be digital. You would be fine with a mono. You would need LOC for sure. I would go with audioconrol LC2i.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:41 PM

Vehicle: 2011 2500
Trim Level: big horn
Color: grey
Rep:31
autokraftgt is on a distinguished road

Maybe netaudio will do a package deal, buy their box and two subs from them and get them to make a deal for you. Also, ask for their opinions... Lord knows they've put tons of diff subs into their boxes.
Amp?
Buy an Alpine MRX-M110
$279 at sonicelectronics as we speak. Great monoblock amp.
Run your subs paralleled and get 650 watts to EACH sub. Done!
Old 07-25-2013, 06:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Express
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Rep:92
Graygoose will become famous soon enough

Just to clarify, just because an amp says Class D, does NOT mean digital,matter of fact most are not digital. Class D is what most use in subs, and even full range 2 and 4 channel amps are now class D, not the typical Class A/B regulated or non-regulated power supply.
For a daily driver, look for a mono amp, run it at 2 ohm, easier on charging.

2011 White Ram Express, KMC Slides, Nitto 420s 22's,Extang Trifecta, GF leveling kit, KICKER sound system,CodeAlarm remote start, '13 Retroshop Headlights and Tail lights, Bedrug, MGP Caliper covers, LED reverse lights, AAC interior LED and licence plate LEDs, BT Catch Can,Weathertech mats
Old 07-25-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstc00 View Post
No it does not need to be digital. You would be fine with a mono. You would need LOC for sure. I would go with audioconrol LC2i.
Thanks! I had one for my single 10" in my last vehicle and the quality of the music really suffered between using the Aux port/Hard drive and the radio. The sub would lag when it was through the radio. Are there different levels of quality amongst line converters? I'd like to avoid that same issue; it was pretty crappy. It forced me to keep my ipod updated.

Also, do you know of any install video for the LOC for 4th gen Rams?