DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Granite Crystal Metallic
Rep:81
gregster will become famous soon enough
Default Spray Wax Comparison on my 2010 Sport: Mothers vs Meguiar's

I thought I would post a few notes up about spray wax, since I have recently tried 2 of the more expensive brands.

Like a lot of guys, I stood in the "wax and wash" isle of my local auto place for ages as I read over all the labels! I wanted a something easy, that I could apply quick, while getting the best shine possible. Each brand has the same nonsense about "micropolymers" etc, and its tough to guess the best one.

In the end I grabbed 2 kinds of spray wax: MOTHERS FX ENGINEERED SPRAY WAX and MEGUIARS ULTIMATE QUICK WAX. I applied and buffed out with a few new microfibre cloths, as per the instruction on both bottles.

MOTHERS ENGINEERED SPRAY WAX:
First of all, I have to say that the mothers product SMELLS good. It smells kind of like wax, so you feel like your actually applying something good!

I did a small area with this product and was REALLY pleased with how well it turned out, It did a nice job bringing out the shine. It also left the area I had done feeling smooth... not AS SMOOTH as a real wax job, but pretty close.

On the down-side, I found that I really had to buff quite a bit to actually achieve that stellar shine. I also found that I had to buff fairly hard. By the time I had finished the whole truck I started to feel like it was quite a bit of work! In some areas that I didnt buff enough, the spray wax left some "smudge" marks. These look bad. They were in areas that I did not buff as hard, but they can be buffed out as you notice them (and you will).

MEGUIARS ULTIMATE QUICK WAX
Unlike the Mothers, the Meguiars spray wax has no smell at all. I found myself a bit disappointed about that!

Like the Mothers, it went on easy. Unlike the Mothers, however, I found it MUCH easier to buff out to a shine. Using the Meguiars was just about as easy as wiping windex on and off of a piece of glass. I really liked how easy this product was to use. If you miss buffing an area well it will still look fine.

On the downside, I don't think the Meguiars product gave quite as nice a shine as the Mothers. It also didn't seem to leave the paint feeling as "waxy" smooth as the Mothers FX did. Having said that, it still does a nice job, and may actually be the one I prefer because it is SO MUCH easier.

THOUGHTS
In the end, I don't know if the mothers actually MAKES the truck shine more, or if the high shine is simply because the Mothers made me buff SOOOO much to avoid leaving waxy smudge marks.

I HAVE to say that the truck LOOKED a bit better after the Mothers, but it probably took 2-3 times as long. Once you start with the Mothers you HAVE to buff fairly hard. If you don't you will see the weird smudge marks appearing. Once you buff past those, however, it does look pretty darn good. If it takes an hour or more to do your truck in the Mothers though, perhaps you are better to invest that time and effort into doing a REAL wax job?

The reason I wanted a spray wax was for a quick shine after washing. The Meguiars product is really easy to apply, in much less time. If you miss a spot it doesn't seem to leave the same "residue" that the Mothers does. Although the Mothers ultimately left a better shine and smoother feel, I have been thinking that perhaps if I had buffed with the Meguiars for that long it would shine more too. I will have to try that.

Anyhow, I thought I would give my thoughts on those... bring on the argument!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ajax-20110524-00850.jpg (127.9 KB, 116 views)
Old 05-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
luket57 is on a distinguished road

Nice write up! I'm glad you posted it up, I have been wanting to try the Mothers FX but can't seem to get anything other then Turtle Wax Ice as I have been so happy with it.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:03 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Crew Cab
Color: Granite Crystal Metallic
Rep:81
gregster will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by luket57 View Post
Nice write up! I'm glad you posted it up, I have been wanting to try the Mothers FX but can't seem to get anything other then Turtle Wax Ice as I have been so happy with it.
How is the Turtle Wax ice? I was going to give that one a try. Is it easy to apply/buff like the Maguiars? (or tough like the Mothers???)
Old 05-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
luket57 is on a distinguished road

It is easy to apply and the shine is great for a spray on. After reading your write up I will probably stick with it.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:56 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad
Rep:164
Mattones has a spectacular aura aboutMattones has a spectacular aura about

Pffft!!!! use Fukken WAX, this stuff is 10x better then anything iv used. Its just as good was hand wax. Puts one hell of a shine to the truck.

Cat Back Magnaflow Exhaust stainless, Tinted Front Windows, Painted Engine Cover, Red Calipers, LED Reverse Lights, Lightbar and 4 Hella 500
Old 05-25-2011, 09:20 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
sottis is on a distinguished road

I've used Meguiars for years and love it but I have to say, I like that name - Fukken - is it fukken good?
Old 05-25-2011, 10:28 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:353
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

My suggestion would be, if you want a good shine in a short period of time would be; wash your truck, clay bar it, then put a professional name brand wax or sealant on it. This might take you the better part of a day. This will also give you a good foundation to work with. After that, when you finish washing your truck you can apply a spray detailer and wipe it off with a microfiber cloth and I think you will be happy with the results. Using the spray detailer should only take about 1/2 hour. Remember that "wax" only protects for about 4-6 weeks where a "sealant" protects for up to 6 months.
Jay
Old 05-26-2011, 01:56 AM

Vehicle: 2010 ram quadcab
Trim Level: slt,big horn,bucket
Color: black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:22
vided is on a distinguished road

wax, what is wax?..........lol
Old 06-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:909
primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold

ive been doing a bit of research on the spray wax phenomenon....

i must admit that i fell victim to it aswell...the qd just isnt enough between waxes i guess.

from what ive read, duragloss aquawax is supposed to be the best bang for the buck, and i understand that it is available in the USA OTC at some auto parts store chains.

anyhow, i grabbed a bottle this weekend, and intent to try it out. i have a few product reviews to do, but this one will also be reviewed once i give er a go.
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune!
Old 06-10-2012, 09:14 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:17
edd5 is on a distinguished road

I use the cheapo Turtle Ice spray wax from walmart in between full details. Works great and is dirt cheap. Best of all is it you can use it on the plastic trim parts too. Base coat on the paint is Klasse Sealant Glaze which lasts for about 6 months or more.