DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-22-2013, 10:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 96 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
Thor3316 is on a distinguished road
Default 96 1500 Automatic Gear Selector is Dead

The wife went to pull out of the driveway yesterday and the gear selector was shifting but the transmission remained in park. I have searched high and low for a resolution, part number (for a cable?), drawing, etc........on the web for hours and have found nothing !!!!

Here are the known symptoms;

1) Automatic gear shift selector moves and sometimes shifts the transmission.
2) I can manually shift the car with my hand by moving the piece that is connected to the steering column (on the engine side of the firewall), up or down. It shifts consistently when I force it this way. Due to this, I am thinking my problem is from the gear selector (inside the cab) to the piece on the engine side of the firewall. The problem is, I do not see any cable connecting from the column to this piece, it just rotates up or down on the steering column shaft when moving the gear selector........sometimes.
3) Took apart all of the covers to the steering column inside the cab. All I can see is a cable that moves the shift indicator to the different locations. That part functions very well and moves freely.
4) Checked all of the linkages from the firewall to the transmission for loose or broken connections. None were found.
5) The only time the gear selector may work is when the gear selector is forced very hard to the Park position. It may catch one or two times but then it is back to not working at all

HELP PLEASE !!!!
Sponsored links
Old 07-23-2013, 05:30 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2918
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Bump... I could probably figure it out if I was there, but unfortunately, I don't know.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 96 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
Thor3316 is on a distinguished road

Iam not sure if there is a cable that connects to the shifter tube or if the shifter tube moves on the steering shaft column to shift it??
Old 07-23-2013, 11:53 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2918
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Really wish I could be of more help. Do you have a Chilton's manual? Unless another member chimes in, I'm thinking that would be the route to take.