DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Dark blue
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:10
02RamGuy is on a distinguished road

I did forget to mention one thing. And this may be a important thing. Hopefully I can explain it good but its just something I noticed. Ok I bought the truck about 3 1/2 years ago used, one owner, garage kept, 87,000 miles. Ever since I bought the truck I noticed when it got near oil change time, or even over (we are all guilty here) I would see this same thing happen, oil pressure drop all the way down, then come back up, again at stoplights and such. But keep in mind this is at 87,000 miles its doing this but ONLY when it was about 3,000-3,500 after the last oil change. Then I would change the oil and I would not see it drop until time for the next change. But now its doing it way more often and even before oil change time.

So now what do you guys think?

Anywho, for now I went out and bought a bottle of Lucas Oil, and some Castrol GTX High Mileage oil (10w-40). Although I know I still need to replace the gasket, im just testing this to see if lucas oil and a little thicker oil will do the trick.

Warlock, I know this is not exactly doing what you suggested, but it sounded more like you was implementing that the motor is wore out and needs some rebuilding. But I just find this hard to imagine for just 175,000 miles. I know that is alot of miles, but just dont quite seem like enough to call for a rebuild. I am not judging your intelligence at all I do believe you are very knowledgeable about this vehicle. But I believe there is something else going on. My next steps if what im trying dont work I will get a new oil pump and put it in when I get the gasket done and also check/clean the screen that is in there
Sponsored links
Old 07-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 95
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future

I honestly think that after you mix the Lucas with 10w-40 you're going to achieve a weight just under 20w-50. You're going to have decent oil pressure for a couple of days and then it will start to creep back down. Then you're going to realize that the 20w-50 would have saved an early oil change to compensate.

10w-40 is pretty much like sending a kid with a garden hose to put out a forest fire.

You need to fill the tolerance between the bearings with something that won't just run out.

Just keep us updated and use your best judgment.

(yes the oil pan gasket and pump are relatively easy)

Last edited by Warlock III; 07-25-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Ok man. As far as changing the gasket and oil pump, once the pan is removed, whats the oil pump held on by? Is it fairly easy to get to and get off? Anything I should know other than just swap it out?

Also, that does make sense about what you said about the oil weight. Do you think by it doing it back at 87,000 around oil change time that the oil was just breaking down and causing less pressure?
Old 07-25-2013, 07:15 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 95
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future

There are two bolts that hold the oil pump on. It's in the very bottom of the engine...easy to get to and can't be mistaken.

It may have helped @ 87K to go to 10w-40. But unless your the original owner there's no way of knowing how the mileage differs from the running time. I had a Crown Vic P71 interceptor here in NJ and I know there were a LOT of idling miles put on it in the winter. I know the truck isn't the same but it's an example of how the odometer isn't always accurate.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Ok so oil pump should not be a problem then. What about getting to starer off? Anything special to that or to make sure to do/not to do??

Also, While I was under there changing the oil yesterday I wiped the oil off that was at the "U" shape of the oil pan gasket just to see how quick this thicker oil seeps out. Its just funny how very VERY little, if any at all oil drips on my driveway. I read somewhere while doing some searching that one guy had a question about loosing oil and somebody said to check something that causes it to burn oil. Said to look down in the intake and if you see oil then some gasket or something is bad. They also said it could be using oil and not smoke at all.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Laramie Hemi 8 Speed
Color: Maximum Steel Met.
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:25
kxlexus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02RamGuy View Post
Ok so oil pump should not be a problem then. What about getting to starer off? Anything special to that or to make sure to do/not to do??

Also, While I was under there changing the oil yesterday I wiped the oil off that was at the "U" shape of the oil pan gasket just to see how quick this thicker oil seeps out. Its just funny how very VERY little, if any at all oil drips on my driveway. I read somewhere while doing some searching that one guy had a question about loosing oil and somebody said to check something that causes it to burn oil. Said to look down in the intake and if you see oil then some gasket or something is bad. They also said it could be using oil and not smoke at all.
That is why I asked you how much oil you were using. Just because you don't see it smoking doesn't mean it isn't. You never did say how much and how often you were adding oil. The reason I asked if you had performed a compression test was to get a general idea of the internal condition of the engine. But in asking these questions all I got in return was some smart azz remarks so I stayed out of it. Best of luck to you.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:24 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:221
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

The intakes are known to leak on these engines which could cause it to loose oil, but this wouldn't cause low oil pressure as long as it isn't getting low on oil. I think the point Warlock is trying to make is there could be all sorts of things wrong with the OP's engine, it might need spark plugs, but that doesn't have anything to do with the low oil pressure.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:01 PM

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge man View Post
The reason I said replace the oil pump first is they have been known to fail. There is a chance his bearing are shot and causing him to loose oil pressure, but I would sure start with the oil pump.
If the oil pump had failed he'd have no pressure....all the time. Thin oil (10W30), a high-mileage engine, low oil levels (at times) and being in the heat of the year, all adds up to low oil pressure.
Look, as long as it's humming along happily, just use 20W50 and buy all the time you can with usual maintenance. Start planning your next move for the truck. Fix up or trade in?

Last edited by Gen1dak; 07-26-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:48 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT QC 4x4
Color: Mineral grey
Rep:109
Simple guy will become famous soon enoughSimple guy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen1dak View Post
If the oil pump had failed he'd have no pressure....all the time. Thin oil (10W30), a high-mileage engine, low oil levels (at times) and being in the heat of the year, all adds up to low oil pressure.
Look, as long as it's humming along happily, just use 20W50 and buy all the time you can with usual maintenance. Start planning your next move for the truck. Fix up or trade in?
I second this. The oil pump could be on it's way out and apparently so are the rod and main bearings. Which ever one goes first will it's going need an entire bottom end. It's like being diagnosed with terminal cancer but we don't exactly know what kind of cancer or how long it has to live.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen1dak View Post
Will the oil pump I have now or if i get a new OEM pump work fine with 20W50??

Thanks for all the input guys. Each and everything you guys reply with helps in some sort of way.

So far after the change I did yesterday the pressure is fine. And thats with 10W40 and a bottle of Lucas Oil Stabilizer.

Kxlexus, im adding a good 2-3 quarts between changes. I will keep an eye on it now with this thicker oil. Kinda seems like it might not leak as fast since its thicker. Maybe....? dont know