DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-23-2013, 11:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Express 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: exspress
Color: cherry pearl red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:27
nitro1965 is on a distinguished road
Default Will this simple test tell me if I have a posi or conventional rear in my ram ?

Hi , I see some people talking about if they have a posi or is it called LSD "anti spin ", or they may have a conventional rear end in there ram . Would this test tell me what kind I have in mine? What I have is a 2013 ram express 1500 5.7 hemi 4x4 quad cab and what I did was I drove to this flat even dirt road turned off the traction control came to a complete stop . I had it in two wheel drive , I then gave enough gas but not floored to spin the tires a good 10 feet or so and I did this twice and both times there were two tire spin marks of equal length in the dirt . Does this mean I have the LSD or posi rear in my new ram or can I still have a conventional rear end and this test is not a good test to see what kind of rear end your ram has ?
Sponsored links
Old 07-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1969
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Jack it up and spin one tire. If the other tire spins the same way you have a posi, if it spins the opposite way you have an open diff.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 07-24-2013, 12:29 AM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM CC 4X4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Blue
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
Tom-G is on a distinguished road

Take a look at the part number sticker on the driver's side of the rear axle. Then check the matching part number on the cross reference on the following thread which will tell you if your Ram has LSD.

http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=148235
Old 07-24-2013, 01:24 AM

So I take it that the test I did is not a good way to see if you have a LSD or conventional rear end .
Old 07-24-2013, 01:36 AM

My part number on rear axle is 68142574AC . I guess it is a conventional rear since it says open on those reference # . But why would I leave two strip marks of equal length ? If I do have a conventional rear is it hard and costly to make it LSD
Old 07-24-2013, 01:47 AM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 CC 6'4"
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright White Two-tone
Rep:12
Hardrocker06 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
Jack it up and spin one tire. If the other tire spins the same way you have a posi, if it spins the opposite way you have an open diff.
I thought this test was officially settled that it did not apply to the 2013 RAMs? I don't remember the thread or person that explained it, but with the tires in the air, the LSD will appear like an open diff. The LSD on these RAMs need some load on them.

I would assume the weight of the truck would be sufficient but potentially the gravel doesn't provide enough traction to be a good test.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Nitro1965
just request a BUILD SHEET
call CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE at
http://www.ramtrucks.com/webselfserv...ucks/index.jsp

it has all the things that are on your Ram that were left off of the window sticker
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 07-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1969
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro1965 View Post
So I take it that the test I did is not a good way to see if you have a LSD or conventional rear end .
Not really. Because even an open diff can spin both tires if it does lock up. It's uncommon, but it is possible. So since you were on gravel it makes that possibility even higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardrocker06 View Post
I thought this test was officially settled that it did not apply to the 2013 RAMs? I don't remember the thread or person that explained it, but with the tires in the air, the LSD will appear like an open diff. The LSD on these RAMs need some load on them.
Oh, that could be.... I never read that. I just know that test applies to older posi units compared to open diffs. I was a little unsure if that would apply to the new style LSD's in the Rams.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 07-24-2013, 10:57 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Sport Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:110
RAM SPORT CREW will become famous soon enoughRAM SPORT CREW will become famous soon enough

It's true that the LSD in the new rams will act like an open diff when jacked up in the air, that is to say the tires will roatate in opposite directions.

Also on a gravel road an open diff will spin both tires, not enough load on one to stop it. Try the same thing n pavement, you'll see then if you have a peg leg or not!
Or if you can get it to flex, putting a lot of weight onto one rear wheel and if the other rear wheel with little to no weight on it spins alone then you have an open diff
Old 07-26-2013, 05:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: none yet - maybe a '14 Express
Rep:10
djb383 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro1965 View Post
Hi , I see some people talking about if they have a posi or is it called LSD "anti spin ", or they may have a conventional rear end in there ram . Would this test tell me what kind I have in mine? What I have is a 2013 ram express 1500 5.7 hemi 4x4 quad cab and what I did was I drove to this flat even dirt road turned off the traction control came to a complete stop . I had it in two wheel drive , I then gave enough gas but not floored to spin the tires a good 10 feet or so and I did this twice and both times there were two tire spin marks of equal length in the dirt . Does this mean I have the LSD or posi rear in my new ram or can I still have a conventional rear end and this test is not a good test to see what kind of rear end your ram has ?
It's common for a open diff to spin both tires on loose dirt.....probably won't spin both on dry pavement......and as stated, best way to confirm any traction enhansed diff is to lift both opposite wheels off the ground and spin one by hand.....if the opposite wheel spins the same direction, it's some form of a traction enhanced diff. If the opposite wheel spins the opposite direction, it's an open (non-traction enhanced) diff. A clutch type LSD with badly worn/broken clutches can act like/perform like a open diff on or off road.......but will still pass the LSD test when both opposite wheels are off the ground and one is spun by hand.

FWIW, Posi or Posi-Track is a GM name/brand for their version of a limited slip diff.