DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-23-2013, 02:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: 1500 Big Horn
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
G8tkeeper is on a distinguished road
Default Air Intake Thoughts

I have a buddy who has the K&N intake box and filter that will give me about $75 cheaper than new and it was not used long.

I keep reading these post that if you change the intake you should get the one that has the pipe as well as the box and the filter

Then I also see the one that Mopar put out I like it because it matches my truck better. My question with that one is does it just swap in or are you still cutting hoses like you do with the K&N?
Old 07-23-2013, 02:44 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1990
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Honestly just changing the box and filter to a K&N from stock is a step in the wrong direction. Because you aren't changing the tube as well you aren't getting any more flow and because of the design of the K&N not being a true CAI like the stock set up is you're going to end up getting hotter air. So essentially it's doing nothing for you other than making a little more noise.

If you want to save some money your best bet is to add a drop in filter to the stock air box, change the tube from the air box to the throttle body, and add a secondary intake pipe to the bottom of the air box (search the forum for threads on how to do that).

If you want to go to an intake that will actually give you noticeable increases Vararam is your only option. All the rest of them will be very minimal and not noticeable by themselves.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover | 5000K Morimoto HID's (lows and fogs)
H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake | Instagram: @brandonjansen
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 07-23-2013, 03:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 4.7l v8 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:160
Astartes has a spectacular aura aboutAstartes has a spectacular aura about

I'd suggest checking out my mods man. I replaced the box tube and filter. You can tell she's breathing a lot better. Its by k&n
Greater love has no one than this, that a man lay down his life for his brothers. -John 15:13

My Mods
Old 07-27-2013, 01:20 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

i have yet to see any proof of any type of improvement in any cai on our trucks. the stock intake is really pretty good. most enjoy the increase in sound. if more cound is your goal, then i would go with the one that costs the least dollars.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:46 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
Honestly just changing the box and filter to a K&N from stock is a step in the wrong direction. Because you aren't changing the tube as well you aren't getting any more flow and because of the design of the K&N not being a true CAI like the stock set up is you're going to end up getting hotter air. So essentially it's doing nothing for you other than making a little more noise.

If you want to save some money your best bet is to add a drop in filter to the stock air box, change the tube from the air box to the throttle body, and add a secondary intake pipe to the bottom of the air box (search the forum for threads on how to do that).

If you want to go to an intake that will actually give you noticeable increases Vararam is your only option. All the rest of them will be very minimal and not noticeable by themselves.
Exactly this^^^^ OP if you are looking for performance the only way to go as far as aftermarket intakes go is a Vararam we have these in stock and ready to ship if you interested shoot us an email to sales@bullysperformance.com and we can get you taken care of

Thanks
Jeremiah

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Old 07-27-2013, 05:44 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

anyone have any dyno results they want to post?
Old 07-29-2013, 04:28 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Hemi Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:38
knobert is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
i have yet to see any proof of any type of improvement in any cai on our trucks. the stock intake is really pretty good. most enjoy the increase in sound. if more cound is your goal, then i would go with the one that costs the least dollars.
Ditto here, I just put in an Airraid Dry Synthaflow drop in and it seems fine. The CAI seems price and doesn't seem worth the hot air from the engine or the salesman at the parts store

That with the Diablo it seems that I am saving on MPG (evic), the butt dyno is unreliable but it seems way more powerful
Old 07-29-2013, 04:40 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Hemi Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:38
knobert is on a distinguished road

double post ............
Old 08-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: blue
Rep:10
shawnjohn340 is on a distinguished road

I bought the K&N 63-1561 for my truck a while back and had mixed results.In colder ambient temps,no issues,however in hot weather with stop and go traffic this thing is just sucking super hot under hood air and driving IAT temps through the roof to the point where MIL lamp sometimes goes on(P0032 ,P0038,P0052,P0058,O2 heater circuits high).I then bought a cheap eBay intake which moves filter way down lower in engine bay and actually had better results than the K&N.My next step is to go back to the stock airbox and mod the intake tube with all the stuff I've gathered trying to have a proper cold air intake.In summary , I think most CAI kits are a gimmick except perhaps the ones with a fully sealed airbox drawing outside air.