DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 1ST Generation Dodge Ram 1993 & Older Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-24-2013, 08:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1985 Dodge D100
Trim Level: D100
Color: Red
Engine: 1981-1987 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:10
Tiredofthis is on a distinguished road
Default Carburetor

Hello All, I have had my Dodge for 5 years and it was not until this past January that I started to have problems. Currently my problem has something to do with the vacuum lines or the carburetor. I replaced my carb with a Holley remanufactured and something about the choke wasn't closing properly. So I got a new one and it has worked great until I made a long interstate drive and it started doing the same thing. Losing power. When I remove the cleaner and manually throttle it, a lot of air comes hissing out. I sprayed carb cleaner all on the vacuum lines and heard no signs of leak. I'm trying to decide if I need a new carb or if I am missing something.

Thanks for your help!

1985 Dodge D100 318 automatic.
Sponsored links
Old 07-24-2013, 09:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:217
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

Unless the carb is cracked or badly warped,a rebuild should fix it. A carb will make a certain amount of hissing when it's running, so I can't say if what you hear is normal or not.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:26 AM

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

They will whistle and howl when things aren't right (struggling to run at low rpm's, especially 1 and 2 barrel carbs). Keep in mind, these older carbs, unless specially noted, probably are not being built with ethanol in mind. I see AFB and Thermoquad rebuild kits that specifically mention alcohol-tolerant accel pumps, the rest of those carbs already fine with alcohol. Maybe the very latest remans might have improvements, but certainly not one made even a couple years ago. There could be something else going on, but just judging by how frequently I have to change the rubber part of my fuel line, I'd bet the carb is tired. Unless it has a metal fuel float, I'd suspect it as being currupted and causing the engine to run too rich from flooding.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1985 Dodge D100
Trim Level: D100
Engine: 1981-1987 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:10
Tiredofthis is on a distinguished road

So you think it is a carb problem and not a vacuum line?
Old 07-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Paultocologist

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1734
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen1dak View Post
They will whistle and howl when things aren't right (struggling to run at low rpm's, especially 1 and 2 barrel carbs). Keep in mind, these older carbs, unless specially noted, probably are not being built with ethanol in mind. I see AFB and Thermoquad rebuild kits that specifically mention alcohol-tolerant accel pumps, the rest of those carbs already fine with alcohol. Maybe the very latest remans might have improvements, but certainly not one made even a couple years ago. There could be something else going on, but just judging by how frequently I have to change the rubber part of my fuel line, I'd bet the carb is tired. Unless it has a metal fuel float, I'd suspect it as being currupted and causing the engine to run too rich from flooding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofthis View Post
I think G1D is right on the mark and there's an issue with the Acc pump. If you're able to exchange the carb again (if it's still under warranty) because it sounds like you bought an aftermarket Holly, I'd inquire as to the diaphram and if the acc pump is ethanol tolerant.

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name
Old 07-25-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofthis View Post
Typically, a loose vacuum line, or leaky one will cause an increase in baseline idle speed, engine misses due to a run lean condition. I'll stick with carb issue due to corruption from ethanol based on what's been said.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:07 PM

Vehicle: 81 91 93 dodge
Rep:11
crazzywolfie is on a distinguished road

do you have a vacuum gauge? it should be able to tell you if you have a vacuum leak.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:32 PM

Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

To be honest from what he describes, I don't think its the accelerator pump. The accelerator pump only does something when you step on the gas harder. It squirts a little fuel in to the carb which gives the carb a change to see an increase in fuel demanded and compensate. Thats whats nice about fuel injection, the response to more fuel is almost immediate, while a carb takes a second to catch up. The accelerator pump is there to compensate for this delay. Usually an accelerator pump problem would be when you go to pull out into traffic the vehicle hesitates badly.

There are so many things that could be wrong, it could be ignition, it could be a vacuum leak, it could be the fuel pump, it could be..........................
Old 07-26-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge man View Post
To be honest from what he describes, I don't think its the accelerator pump. The accelerator pump only does something when you step on the gas harder. It squirts a little fuel in to the carb which gives the carb a change to see an increase in fuel demanded and compensate. Thats whats nice about fuel injection, the response to more fuel is almost immediate, while a carb takes a second to catch up. The accelerator pump is there to compensate for this delay. Usually an accelerator pump problem would be when you go to pull out into traffic the vehicle hesitates badly.

There are so many things that could be wrong, it could be ignition, it could be a vacuum leak, it could be the fuel pump, it could be..........................
I was using accel pump as an example of possible degradation. I'm leaning more towards degraded float and flooding/run rich causing immediate issue.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen1dak View Post
I was using accel pump as an example of possible degradation. I'm leaning more towards degraded float and flooding/run rich causing immediate issue.
Yeah, there is a good chance if he doesn't have a brass float the foam float has soaked up fuel and is too heavy. The bad part of them is you can't tell by looking like you can with a brass float. I can't remember if rebuild kits come with floats or not, but I think they do. My experience was if you wanted a vehicle to run real sharp, you needed to rebuild the carb every couple of years.