DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > LD RAM - Ram 1500 Forum > 2014 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2014 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2014 Dodge Ram!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!
Total Load Control!
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
FGT Motorsport
Bayou Goat Mounts
Mopar Online Parts!

Old 11-20-2015, 05:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
jpanczuk is on a distinguished road
Question Lift Kit Advice (new user)

Hello all,
New to this particular thread (former user of Challenger Forumz) and have no idea where to begin when speaking of a lift kit/leveling kit (I don't even know the difference if there is one between the two to be honest). I have googled and seen hundreds of pics but have no idea who to trust when it comes to suggestions/advice on what to buy (thus coming here). I am looking to just give my truck that aggressive look with some bigger tires and a 2-4 inch lift (garage limitations beyond 4" lift). Would like to keep my budget at 700-800 for the kit and 250-350 (each) for tires (will be stock 20" rims work with bigger tires is another question?).

Any advice, pics, websites, or help is much appreciated!

2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Crew cab, 5' bed w/Ramboxes
Sponsored links
Old 11-20-2015, 05:44 PM
WATASHA OUTLAW

Vehicle: '14 RAM 1500 R.Cab 4X4 Shorty
Trim Level: TRADESMAN
Color: FLAME RED
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:479
Desert Ram is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Ram is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Ram is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Ram is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Ram is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to the forum and the Ram Family jpanczuk

I too went through the same ordeal

This sites massive archive is awesome when using the friendly
' Search' feature, I poked through that while I was waiting on reply's

In my case I really did not like the look on my front end being lower
so with the info I found here and having a garage that's actually a converted
carport I elected to go with the Pro Comp 2.5" front leveling and my
Ram store did it in house and everything is covered under Ram's warranty !

My wheels were a different story a long time pal is with Discount Tire
so that was a done deal even before the Ram hit the driveway
The wheels are 17X8 & 1/2 and I stayed with the OEM Size tire
just a bit more aggressive tread.

Below you'll see a Before and After picture, hope it helps

BEFORE:

AFTER:
Old 11-20-2015, 09:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 6.4 V8 HEMI
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: BLK
Engine: 2014-20?? 392ci (6.4L) Hemi V8 410hp 429lb/ft
BANGBANGYD is on a distinguished road

Hey, I bought a 2014 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi Blacked out ETC./ Anyways, I wanted to do the leveling kit and beefed up front shocks ( color had to be black of course ) I was reading a Tech Magazine article on this company that specializes in suspension lift kits and leveling kits and is highly recommended for the Dodge Rams. This company is in Salt Lake City, Utah. I live in Boise Idaho. After reading the article and not finding anyone in the local area I would trust with my truck , I drove all the way to Salt Lake so the Best of the Best could service my truck. This company treated me great and my truck. Look them up and or call them . JACKIT.COM Toll Free:1-888-4 JACKIT (452-2548) Hope this helps. John, former 1970 CHALLENGER RT owner.

Last edited by BANGBANGYD; 11-20-2015 at 09:54 PM. Reason: ERROR
Old 11-20-2015, 11:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500 CC
Color: Granite Crystal Metallic
Rep:93
14Hemi will become famous soon enough

A leveling kit is designed to level the front of the truck with the back of the truck. If you look at your truck, you'll notice that the front sits about 3 inches lower than the rear, unless of course the bed is loaded. A leveling kit will not change the rear suspension at all. The leveling kit can be spacers or you can change the shocks with or without changing the upper control arms as many have with the 14+ 1500's due to the potential issues with the upper ball joints.

The lift kits will change the front and rear suspension height. No matter which way you go, you will need to actor in an alignment.

If you have garage limitations, you need to factor in the added tire height if you're upsizing the tires.

I opted for the bilstein adjustable front shocks to level my truck for a few reasons:
1) I plow my driveway and needed some added height in the front, but still needed the plow to be effective without modification.
2) I waited 36 years to park my truck in a garage, so I'm not about to make it not fit. (not scraping snow, ice, and frost off it in the morning is priceless)
3) The shocks can be adjusted to different heights. I have it set to 2.1" but can go up to 2.7".
4) I don't off-road any more, so it was a matter of function and getting rid of the excessive rake.

If your budget of $700-$800 for a lift, that will get you a tuff country lift or a leveling kit, but you'll be doing the install on the lift kit.

The stock 20's will hold a 35" tire, but depending on the tire you choose, you may need a spacer to keep them from rubbing in the wheel wells. Search around, there's plenty of photos. If you want to keep costs down, avoid spacers. I wouldn't use them anyway, but that's just me.

Good luck with your decision.

2016 Big Horn Hemi 4x4 w/ Limited Slip and 3.21
7'6 Fisher HT, Bilstein 5100 leveled, Timbren SES, Airlift 1000, 18" Magnaflow, AEM Dryflow, Falken Wildpeak AT3W
Old 11-20-2015, 11:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500 CC
Color: Granite Crystal Metallic
Rep:93
14Hemi will become famous soon enough

When new

versus the "almost level" 2.1" Bilstein's

Both have stock size tires.

2016 Big Horn Hemi 4x4 w/ Limited Slip and 3.21
7'6 Fisher HT, Bilstein 5100 leveled, Timbren SES, Airlift 1000, 18" Magnaflow, AEM Dryflow, Falken Wildpeak AT3W
Old 11-20-2015, 11:33 PM
Bazinga!!

Vehicle: 2016 GMC Yukon Denali
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Quicksilver Metallic
Rep:141
MissouriRam will become famous soon enoughMissouriRam will become famous soon enough

When it comes to lifts, you get what you pay for. If you're placing restrictions on the lift already (i.e. price), I'd sway you towards the Bilsteins as well. You can easily level the truck out and fit a larger tire underneath, without the worry of upgrading Upper Control Arms or still having the rake to compensate for. A 4" lift with 35" tires may not fit in your garage depending on the true diameter of the tire. Some 35" tires are a smidge below a true 35" and some are closer to 35.5".

My personal preference would be to use the Bilstein 5100's to level the truck and take your money saved and put it towards better tires like some Toyo AT Extremes, Toyo RT's or some BF Goodrich KO2's.

Another thing to also factor in is your installation costs..... a quality shop will cost you $700-$1000 for the lift and alignment vs. just a couple of hundred for the Bilsteins.

A lot of factors to consider, but I wouldn't skimp on the lift kit itself just to try and squeeze something into my budget.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide!!
20% Front Window Tint, Roll-N-Loc Bed Cover, Amp Research PowerStep/BedStep (Pics), AVS Low Profile Visors (Install Thread), Rigid 30" RDS LED Bar and Grille (Install Thread), 2600lm Philips Luxeon LED Headlight/3600lm Cree MK-R LED Foglight/1600lm Reverse Light LED (Install Thread), 295/65/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers & 20x10 Fuel D251 Rims (Pics), Zone 4" Lift with 3" rear coils, Zone UCA's (Pics) & Bilstein 5100's set at .07, MBRP Exhaust (Video). New users, jump in and get involved. Learn about rep points here (Rep Points Explained) and our Member of the Month thread (MOTM Thread).
Old 11-21-2015, 10:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Grey
tjcorkins is on a distinguished road

Hey all-

Good stuff so far. I just bought a 2014 1500 Express. Agree with the Bilstein 5100... I have not done it yet, but i have spent hours and hours in several forums and random Google searches. I'm a bit ADD like that. I originally thought I would just do a quick leveling kit (cheep and simple, right?)... but after reading numerous comments about the arm issues, etc... I am going to go with the Bilstein 5100. Will post pics once I find a damn shop that I like around here!
Old 11-21-2015, 11:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Black
jpanczuk is on a distinguished road

Hello all,
Firstly, thank you all for the feedback.

I have read about the Bilstein's and it would look like that is the best route to go.

Does anyone know of a website in particular that has them for a good price/good customer service? I've done some searches since reading the tips above and it seems like their sold by several different places; just not sure if anyone has had better luck with a particular vendor?

The tires I was only locked in to that 35" number based on pictures but I'll go to a local tire vendor and see what they offer/suggest and then do my research/come back here for suggestions and make a choice there.

Thanks again,
James
Old 11-21-2015, 11:34 AM
Bazinga!!

Vehicle: 2016 GMC Yukon Denali
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Quicksilver Metallic
Rep:141
MissouriRam will become famous soon enoughMissouriRam will become famous soon enough

James,

Before you check out the local vendors, make sure you visit Revel Performance and Auto Anything, both site sponsors to the forum. They will take care of you and answer any questions or concerns you may have! Go to the vendor section and you can find their contact info or click the links below!!

Revel Performance

AutoAnything - Dodge Ram Accessories! - Dodge Ram Performance!
20% Front Window Tint, Roll-N-Loc Bed Cover, Amp Research PowerStep/BedStep (Pics), AVS Low Profile Visors (Install Thread), Rigid 30" RDS LED Bar and Grille (Install Thread), 2600lm Philips Luxeon LED Headlight/3600lm Cree MK-R LED Foglight/1600lm Reverse Light LED (Install Thread), 295/65/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers & 20x10 Fuel D251 Rims (Pics), Zone 4" Lift with 3" rear coils, Zone UCA's (Pics) & Bilstein 5100's set at .07, MBRP Exhaust (Video). New users, jump in and get involved. Learn about rep points here (Rep Points Explained) and our Member of the Month thread (MOTM Thread).

Last edited by MissouriRam; 11-21-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:32 PM
WATASHA OUTLAW

Vehicle: '14 RAM 1500 R.Cab 4X4 Shorty
Trim Level: TRADESMAN
Color: FLAME RED
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:479
Desert Ram is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Ram is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Ram is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Ram is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Ram is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcorkins View Post
Hey all-

Good stuff so far. I just bought a 2014 1500 Express. Agree with the Bilstein 5100... I have not done it yet, but i have spent hours and hours in several forums and random Google searches. I'm a bit ADD like that. I originally thought I would just do a quick leveling kit (cheep and simple, right?)... but after reading numerous comments about the arm issues, etc... I am going to go with the Bilstein 5100. Will post pics once I find a damn shop that I like around here!
Welcome to the forum tjcorkins

Looking forward to your update