DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2014 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2014 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2014 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-02-2014, 11:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 ram
Rep:10
ramloco is on a distinguished road
Default 2014 RAM 1500 8-Speed - 2-1 Thump - No Fix - Per Chrysler

Just dropped my truck off at the dealer for warranty work and mentioned the 2-1 thump in the 8-speed transmission when stopping. Dealer stated it's inherent in the transmission and no fix is provided. Also, the Chrysler rep was at the dealer and he also stated: "You want like it, but there is no fix."
Sponsored links
Old 07-02-2014, 11:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Well, i guess that you are glad that you don't have that transmission & the 32 gallon gas tank too

You would really climb the wall with both things happening
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 07-02-2014, 11:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Fire Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
RaymondT is on a distinguished road

Mine doesn't thump but when it downshifts into 1st coming to a stop, it tends to push the truck somewhat. As a result, you have to brake harder to stop the truck. Same with backing up. My driveway has a short ramp. If I put it in neutral as I'm backing up, it's way easier to stop the truck with the brakes.

It's like Chrysler needs to drop the idle another 50rpm or redesign the torque converter.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Suck it, Cheeseball!

Vehicle: '14 Ram CC 4x4 EcoD Laramie
sportsguy is on a distinguished road

I've experienced it and frankly don't think there is an issue - again, change is something people don't do well with, and if your last transmission didn't exhibit this behavior, the natural inclination is to expect the newer trans to not do it either.

Want to really experience an extreme? Go drive any car equipped with an actual DSG-style transmission. It is literaly a manual gearbox that is shifted for you...complete with rev matching and the usual engine braking you'd feel. VERY notiable when slowing to a 1st gear situation and if you've never driven a manual trans car before, you could easy be freaked out by it - almost like you don't need the brakes to stop...but of course, you do.

Every time I drive our Beetle, I have to remind myself it won't stall...LOL It's that "manual" in it's behavior...and yet, it's an automatic.

If the 8 speed in the RAM annoys you, think of it this way - without that trans, fuel economy wouldn't be nearly where it is today - especially in the V8 trucks. That nudge is just ZF's way of reminding you they've got your back and are making things easier on your wallet at the pump...
Old 07-02-2014, 12:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Longhorn Crew Cab 3.92
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black
snookey318 is on a distinguished road

Sorry to stir the pot but i guess the people who choose to go with the older 6 speed automatic when ordering their new truck were not out to lunch after all..... Perhaps chrysler will work out any bugs in the next model year.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport CC 4X4
Rep:12
Ram18 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snookey318 View Post
Sorry to stir the pot but i guess the people who choose to go with the older 6 speed automatic when ordering their new truck were not out to lunch after all..... Perhaps chrysler will work out any bugs in the next model year.
I disagree. If not for the 8 speed I would not have bought my 14. I have no problems with it (maybe this occasional 2-1 "bump") but it is nowhere near a concern. This truck is so much better than my 08 and a lot has to do with the power train vs. that 5/6 speed.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 3.6L
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
ghostone is on a distinguished road

2014 SXT Pentastar 8 speed built March 2014.....when I took delivery it had a fairly harsh 2-1 shift when stopping and slight bump in up shifting in low gears, now after three weeks it shifts normal in 2-1 in a gentle stop, but in a quick stop it does a soft bump 2-1, the up shifts are now smooth as silk, so summing up I am happy with it the way it is right now but if a software update comes along in the future I would take it.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Longhorn Crew Cab 3.92
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
snookey318 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram18 View Post
I disagree. If not for the 8 speed I would not have bought my 14. I have no problems with it (maybe this occasional 2-1 "bump") but it is nowhere near a concern. This truck is so much better than my 08 and a lot has to do with the power train vs. that 5/6 speed.
I understand that the new ZF 8 speed is a superior transmission to the old 5/6 auto but over the past year i have seen numerous posts about how everyone should drop their old trucks in favor of the new models with the "game changing" transmissions. Heck, there have even been posts where people were considering selling their one year old trucks (paid off) to upgrade to the new 8 speed. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me as the old transmission is reliable and smooth. Sure it doesn't have the greatest gear ratio's but their 0-60 times are similar and wont there always be something better? Sometimes less is more, especially with first model year bugs that have to be worked out.

Hopefully their will be a computer flash released that will smooth out the 2-1 shift problems that some people are experiencing and everyone will be very happy driving the best brand of truck on the road.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

What do those with the 32 gallon gas tank bump & the 8 speed transmission bump feel when stopping ??

Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 07-02-2014, 01:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 RAM Sport 4x4 Crew Cab
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
gutter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondT View Post
Mine doesn't thump but when it downshifts into 1st coming to a stop, it tends to push the truck somewhat. As a result, you have to brake harder to stop the truck.
This. It makes it almost impossible to come to a smooth stop.