DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-27-2013, 12:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Blue
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
brains06 is on a distinguished road

I replaced my dirty air filter with a k&n drop in yesterday and the difference was noticeable. More than likely due to the fact that the existing filter was pretty dirty and I went from a dirty low flow filter to a clean high flow one. Step one done! Next will be to replace this tubing and find a muffler shop to do this swap. I've pretty much decided on a magnaflow just need to decide between 14" &18". I don't want it to be monster truck loud, just nice idle and acceleration tone while still being quiet at cruise. Hopefully I can find some vids to help.
Sponsored links
Old 07-27-2013, 02:53 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

I am running the Magnaflow 18 single out, and its loud, if you stomp its really loud. If you just cruse its nice, the 14 for me would of been way to load, and a year ago it was less loud than now, seems to get louder with time, I would go with the 18, and there are some days I might of wanted to go with the 22. Anyways, its all personal preference.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:17 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I have a 14" straight through muffler(99.% identical to magnaflow) and it's pretty loud. When accelerating it's very loud(not painful or anything, and can still have a conversation), but I do wish I would have gone with the 18". Once cruising, with the 2 OD's in these trucks the rpms are so low it's pretty quiet. You could probably run a straight pipe and it wouldn't be that loud on the highway in 6th gear. I do love my exhaust, it's great, just saying if I knew then what I know now I would have gone with the 18".

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:21 AM

Yeah I was thinking that the 14 might be a bit extreme. I'll probably get this done mid week next week so I'll keep everybody posted. If things go right I'll be getting a superchips then too....:-D
Old 07-28-2013, 11:17 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a plan, pics are more than welcome
Old 07-28-2013, 03:38 PM

I've noticed that the main difference between this engine and my old Hemi seems to be off the line power. I'm no stoplight racer but I find it odd that even with 3.92 gears I can't chirp the tires from a stop. It's that normal or am I in need of some tune up items? It seems to wake up after around 3k rpm but from a dig it seems to be a little lethargic. What gives?
Old 07-28-2013, 10:50 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Well it is a small engine in a big truck, so off the line power is indeed a bit low. I have 3.55's though and can spin the tires. I have an aftermarket torque converter though. But even stock it would more than chirp them. Once you get the superchips it'll spin them. There's a lot of torque management stock.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:50 AM

Yeah but I have 3.92s with a lsd and I can't chirp them unless I'm on an incline. what's the process of changing the plugs? Anything special about it?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:18 AM

Still with stock torque management it will cut the throttle(electronic throttle). It limits torque output.

You have 16 spark plugs on your engine. How many miles do you have? The intake side(upper bank) should be changed every 50k miles, and the exhaust side(lower bank) should be changed every 100k miles. The exhaust side is pretty easy. The intakes are a bit of a PITA. Tyipcally the coil rubber boot seizes to the plug and will rip as you pull it off. I have found an easy way to do it(from another guy) but it involves ripping the boot so you have to replace it. You have to replace the entire coil(can't buy the boot separately) and they are ~$20/ea. Someone did mention NAPA now carries the boots individually cheaper but I have not confirmed this. Also, do not use any plugs other than Bosch oem.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:32 AM

The truck has 138k and I have no idea when the plugs were changed by the po. There doesn't seem to be any missing but judging by the condition Inc the air filter I just changed, it wouldn't surprise me if the plugs are due.

So the plugs on the right side are iridium and the left's are copper? Why? What engineer thought of that? I assume though that they are interchangeable but just have different wear rates?