DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-07-2013, 08:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: Superb 1998 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:74
Nck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen1dak View Post
My point is, a good rebuild kit is around $200, a great one is under $500, and that's just clutches, bands, seals. The pump has to come out as part of the teardown. Where's the labor in that? My logic states for that much, I'd pay $2600 for a 500hp capable performance unit from my preferred online vendor (no core charge, price includes new torque converter), then put it in myself, or pay some transmission dude $300 to do the install on his day off. You're talking $1000 for the pump? That's $800 labor? (A rebuilt pump is under $200. A new one is just over $600). I think you're getting hosed. It's your money and I know sometimes there's not really a choice. Been there, done that, but given a choice, I guess we see it differently. Keep in mind, once torn down, they may find a need for hard part replacement. If the drums and/or shafts are damaged, that'll drive the price up more.
I see where your coming from. I'm pretty happy with the price considering I had to have a new pump put in, not rebuilt. (I was also told the pump was a diesel, whatever he meant by that) anyways, The rest of the trans was pretty much trashed. I had everything replaced inside. And for just the pump (only) would have been around 800-900, but I needed a rebuild anyways. I did research on about 14 different shops near me, this was by far the cheapest with the highest rated reviews. Rebuild came with a 12,000 mile warranty, and my truck drives like it did when it first came off the line.
Sponsored links
Old 08-07-2013, 11:29 AM

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

Ultimately that's what it comes down to. Situations vary. As long as the end result is good and you're happy with it, that's all that matters.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1996 dodge ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: red
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
dabranco is on a distinguished road

Sheesh I lost 2nd gear in my 46re and to have mine rebuilt is gonna run just south of $600 of course this is me doing removal and installing myself. This is new internals, torque converter, and seals. I had to call around though. but a couple of other shops them doing the labor would run 1000-1800. Anything over 1500 I can get a remann from dodge for that amount. They are not hard to pull though. Just time consuming and a pain in the ass.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:15 AM

Vehicle: Superb 1998 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:74
Nck will become famous soon enough

The truck pulled great, I was able to achieve about 20 mph more than before. Except the tranny temp light came on again, so I gotta get that looked at.