DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-27-2013, 05:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: sport
Color: red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
CanuckShooter is on a distinguished road
Default 5.7L oil change questions.

Hi, I just noticed the oil change gauge in my brand new 5.7L Sport 1500 says it needs changing....at 1200KM ??

So I open the manuals and read there is a special oil in there from the factory, but it doesn't say to change it out any faster than usual???

Then I turn to the pages that tell you what type and viscosity oil to use...and more confusion. 5.7l 1500 it says use 5-20, 5.7l 2500 it says use 5-30???

So here are the questions I could use some help with.

>what is the proper time to change out that 'special' oil from the factory?

>why would there be a difference in recommended viscosity between a 1500/2500 with the same motor???

>has anyone that has switched to full synthetic oil noticed any mileage improvements?? I'm leaning towards synthetic due to the extreme cold temps we get here in the winter. [easier starts]

Thanks for any help you can provide. :-)
Sponsored links
Old 07-27-2013, 05:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

The great oil debate, must be 100 threads about this.

First question about special oil, the truck has sensors and determines the time you should be changing your oil, ie Length of time the oil had been in the truck, how you drive your truck, its present viscosity, etc, etc. If it says change it, I would since its the oil from the factory and it has some cleaners in it.

Once you change it, reset your oil change indicator and you should be good for another 6 months or 8000 miles which ever comes first. but you can change it whenever you want or depending on the oil you use when it should be due.

the Ram 2500 does not have mds, ram 1500 with mds oil specifications for it to run properly is 5w-20. This has been a big debate, I have a thread just on this and at the end of the day its been decided to do what the manufacture recommends. and that is 5w-20

Full Synthetic or Dino oil, this has been the great debate also and you will notice that most members here at the site that want to keep there trucks for more than the 3 year lease or purchase to own type member are running Full synthetic. Some run Amsoil, some royal purple, some pensoil ultra, some mobile, and that is another great debate, one conscious about all this oil stuff is don't use a fram oil filter

Also, if you do your oil yourself, or have someone do it, and its your first oil change, make sure they or you check that the oil filter gasket came off with the old filter. More than one has made that mistake and lost there oil the first 30 feet of pulling out from the dealer, there driveway, the lube dude. JMO
Old 07-27-2013, 05:37 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

there is no correct answer that i know of for the first change. i did mine at 3000 miles and used penzoil ultra. i now use mopar filters. i use 5-20 as called for in the book as any heavier oil will play havoc with the mds. 2500 hemi dosn't have mds which is why it can use a heavier oil.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:47 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:517
shawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of light

I use Mobil1 full syn and Mopar filters.

If I'm correct because I'm not knowledgeable about 2500 hemi, would the heavier oil be because its an HD truck and would be put more strain on it hauling heavier loads, or should the half ton REALLY use 5w30 too but can't because the MDS so they settle for 5w20. Just a thought that's crossed my mind before.
12 RCSB Express- 5%Tint, Gatorhyde spray-in, Black OEM Tips, Plasti Dip badges and Interior, CBE muffler,AFE CAI, Kenwood DDX370, Ks3.5s, Pioneer 6x9s,BT 964SP lowered on oem chrome 17's and some LEDs... Plenty on the To-Do list

New audio build in progress
Old 07-27-2013, 06:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
there is no correct answer that i know of for the first change. i did mine at 3000 miles and used penzoil ultra. i now use mopar filters. i use 5-20 as called for in the book as any heavier oil will play havoc with the mds. 2500 hemi dosn't have mds which is why it can use a heavier oil.
Thanks guys, that has it answered for me.....5-20 it is.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnu View Post
I use Mobil1 full syn and Mopar filters.

If I'm correct because I'm not knowledgeable about 2500 hemi, would the heavier oil be because its an HD truck and would be put more strain on it hauling heavier loads, or should the half ton REALLY use 5w30 too but can't because the MDS so they settle for 5w20. Just a thought that's crossed my mind before.
I am curious if you noticed any differences with full syn?? Mileage improvements>cold starts?

Sometimes we have -40C where I live and in my old trucks, always on dino, they ground pretty good starting up.....
Old 07-27-2013, 07:40 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Our winters here hit that some days, -40, I use full synthetic and they start up with no issues in winter.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:02 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Flame Red
Rep:517
shawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
I am curious if you noticed any differences with full syn?? Mileage improvements>cold starts?

Sometimes we have -40C where I live and in my old trucks, always on dino, they ground pretty good starting up.....
I couldn't tell you since ive used it since my first oil change and first vehicle I've used full syn in.
12 RCSB Express- 5%Tint, Gatorhyde spray-in, Black OEM Tips, Plasti Dip badges and Interior, CBE muffler,AFE CAI, Kenwood DDX370, Ks3.5s, Pioneer 6x9s,BT 964SP lowered on oem chrome 17's and some LEDs... Plenty on the To-Do list

New audio build in progress
Old 07-27-2013, 11:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
hortence222222 is on a distinguished road

If it says "Change it" then I'd change it. I use Penzoil Platinum and Mopar filters and change it at dino oil intervals. You can pick it up at Cdn Tire or Walmart on sale for $26 for a 5 liter jug. HTH

Last edited by hortence222222; 07-28-2013 at 02:07 AM.