DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LEVELING

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LEVELING Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
StevieWonder is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Bilstein 5100 install HELP!

Well i finally found some time to have a crack at installing my bilstein 5100 shocks into my truck. But after 3 hours of yelling and throwing hammers, im really stuck and could use some help/advice.

The part that i am stuck at is getting the stock strut apart so i can take it out and replace it with the bilstein. I bought a spring compressor and was able to compress the spring down just fine. My issue is that i cant for the life of me get off the small nut holding the strut rod together. Everything spins freely, and to me it feels like the nut itself is stripped out maby. In the end i was able to have the nut, rod and pretty much every damn piece loose and spinning freely, but nothing would give or come apart.

Sooo if anyone was might be able to help me out here I truly would like to get this figured out myself without having to cough up more money for getting a shop to do it for me.

Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 07-25-2013, 07:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1900
gonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant future

yaaaa had the same issue. get a set of through sockets.

if you've stripped it. ur pretty much screwed.
u have to take it somewhere to get the piston cut in half.
that's what I had to do
JVC Arsenal KD, Bilstein 5100 adjustables [maxed], aFe Stage 2 Air Intake, Superchips 3865, Husky Floor Mats, Saddleman Camo Seat Covers, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler SI/DO, 20 % Tint. 35x12.5x17 Federal Couragia M/T, 17x8.5 VTEC Warlord wheels, -12mm offest.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 CC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Tequila Sunrise
Rep:15
itshertruck is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to itshertruck

Is the chrome strut rod also spinning while trying to turn that nut? If so, you need to use an open end wrench and an allen/hex wrench. The allen/hex wrench will go in the top of the strut rod, while you use the open end wrench to turn the nut at the top. There isn't enough tension on the strut if you already compressed the spring prior to trying to loosen the strut nut. Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions. Took me WAY too long to figure that out when I did my Bilsteins.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:16 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshertruck View Post
Is the chrome strut rod also spinning while trying to turn that nut? If so, you need to use an open end wrench and an allen/hex wrench. The allen/hex wrench will go in the top of the strut rod, while you use the open end wrench to turn the nut at the top. There isn't enough tension on the strut if you already compressed the spring prior to trying to loosen the strut nut. Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions. Took me WAY too long to figure that out when I did my Bilsteins.
I agree with itshertruck. I cranked very little tension on the spring to prevent any flying hazards, then loosened the spring bucket retaining nut while the spring maintained pressure on the rod and bucket from spinning. But if you stripped the retaining nut, nothing like a good ole die grinder to cut the piston rod. Just make sure you secure the spring as to prevent metal parts flying.

Last edited by Gantman; 07-25-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:13 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1990
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantman View Post
I agree with itshertruck. I cranked very little tension on the spring to prevent any flying hazards, then loosened the spring bucket retaining nut while the spring maintained pressure on the rod and bucket from spinning.
Yup this is exactly what I did. Spray it with a bunch of penetrating oil and let it soak for a while. It also helps to clean off the thread with a wire brush. Then use an impact gun to get the nut off. It should come apart no problem.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover | 5000K Morimoto HID's (lows and fogs)
H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake | Instagram: @brandonjansen
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 07-26-2013, 12:27 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4X4
Color: Black
Rep:68
Cat Daddy will become famous soon enough

Yep there ya go I had to back off the spring compressor to put tension on the nut and plate came right off with my impact.....I feel your pain I had 2 try's to get mine installed first time fail I was making up new words for the way I was getting along with the strut
20X9 Black XD Hoss with painted caps 275x65x20 NittosTerras,Bilsteins 5100's @ 2.1, .75" in rear,laminx tinted head lights,tinted tail lights & 3rd brake light, S&B,Fastman 84 TB,18' Magnaflow,T1000-hemifever,cabin filter,RECON led cab lights,custom dynamic 60" light bar,tow hooks,debadged ,6" shorty ,painted grill and front and rear emblem , AMP power step ,F1 Bacflip bed cover ,Mopar bed rug kit
Old 07-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Rep:10
StevieWonder is on a distinguished road

ughh this sounds like this second attempt is ganna be hell. Thanks for all the advice guys. it might just come down to me cutting this bastard in half like some of you have said. Almost would be easier at this point lol.

Stupid design in my mind.

But if the nut is stripped though, can i replace it with any nut that size? Or does it have to be that same style?

At any rate Ill come back with the results lol

Last edited by StevieWonder; 07-26-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:24 PM

I will say this , go get a set of the through sockets you will need them when you go back with the Bilsteins , you will need a through socket and an allen wrench to reinstall , makes it so much easier...I want to say the nut is 3/4" not sure about the allen but I would get a long reach allen 3/8" drive and the install will be a piece of cake ....I would not think the nut is tripped just try to keep tention on it with the spring and the top plate and it will come off...I would think you could go bak with a grade 8 kinda lock nut should be able to get at Home Depot
20X9 Black XD Hoss with painted caps 275x65x20 NittosTerras,Bilsteins 5100's @ 2.1, .75" in rear,laminx tinted head lights,tinted tail lights & 3rd brake light, S&B,Fastman 84 TB,18' Magnaflow,T1000-hemifever,cabin filter,RECON led cab lights,custom dynamic 60" light bar,tow hooks,debadged ,6" shorty ,painted grill and front and rear emblem , AMP power step ,F1 Bacflip bed cover ,Mopar bed rug kit
Old 07-26-2013, 12:26 PM

sorry but ment to say the nut is not stripped
Old 07-26-2013, 07:47 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1990
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieWonder View Post
ughh this sounds like this second attempt is ganna be hell. Thanks for all the advice guys. it might just come down to me cutting this bastard in half like some of you have said. Almost would be easier at this point lol.

Stupid design in my mind.

But if the nut is stripped though, can i replace it with any nut that size? Or does it have to be that same style?

At any rate Ill come back with the results lol
The Bilsteins come with new nuts. You shouldn't need to reuse the old ones at all.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover | 5000K Morimoto HID's (lows and fogs)
H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake | Instagram: @brandonjansen
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's