DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-21-2013, 01:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver/Gray
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:37
Coastiejoe is on a distinguished road
Default '11 1500 Rear Parking Light Mod

Hey Guys,
I recently acquired a set of LED taillights for my truck. While I love the way they look, the parking light side of the house is extremely bright. I like to run with the parking lights on during the day because I have some halo headlights that look badass. I'm worried that there is not enough difference between the parking and brake lights when I'm in the sun. I came up with an idea to fix it though:

I'm gonna buy a LED tailgate strip and rewire it so the parking light voltage turns on the brake light part of the strip making it bright. I wont have brake light function on it, but the turn signals will also work. I'm also going to snip the parking light wire from the taillights so they will only be brake and turn. My only concern is if the strip is going to be bright enough at night as that will be my only rear parking light.

Let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions.
-Joe
Sponsored links
Old 07-21-2013, 12:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 / 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Outdoorsman Crew Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:1043
gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastiejoe View Post
Hey Guys,
I recently acquired a set of LED taillights for my truck. While I love the way they look, the parking light side of the house is extremely bright. I like to run with the parking lights on during the day because I have some halo headlights that look badass. I'm worried that there is not enough difference between the parking and brake lights when I'm in the sun. I came up with an idea to fix it though:

I'm gonna buy a LED tailgate strip and rewire it so the parking light voltage turns on the brake light part of the strip making it bright. I wont have brake light function on it, but the turn signals will also work. I'm also going to snip the parking light wire from the taillights so they will only be brake and turn. My only concern is if the strip is going to be bright enough at night as that will be my only rear parking light.

Let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions.
-Joe
Joe,

You may need to have your tail lights still light up as you will need to have light to be seen from the sides of your truck for cross traffic. The light bar will not be seen from the side of your truck. JMO.

Greg

Old 07-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

I understand you are worried that there isn't much of a difference between the two because they are bright but... have you actually checked?

If you are alone and don't have a buddy to help set your phone on something around the same height as your truck and have it record a video. Then just go turn on your lights and confirm your suspicions or not.

I don't know what type of LED tails you have but I have had an ebay set and now I am running the 13 LED tails and in both there was a noticeable difference between parking lights and brakes even during the day.

This is what my old ebay set looked like during the day with just parking lights. Bright sure but there is a massive difference between this and brakes.

See my old Mod thread and it's Journey here

Current Mod thread here
Old 07-31-2013, 03:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver/Gray
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:37
Coastiejoe is on a distinguished road

I think I have the same lights. I love the stock look of them lol. I checked it by leaving the parking lights on and having the hazards on. There is a difference but I guess I just wanted them brighter. I love the pop that they have when the parking lights are off. I also considered opening them up and modifying the internals some to only have 2 or 3 columns come on as parking lights instead of the whole thing but I don't want to ruin an expensive set of tails.