DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LEVELING

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LEVELING Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-29-2013, 09:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram SLT Crew 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Sunburst Orange
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
jutsinger is on a distinguished road

I searched the internet to see everyone talking about the "Dodge Lean". Dodge's start to lean because of driver's weight and the gas tank being on the drivers side of the truck. Many people have this issue after leveling as well. It could be the driver back leaf springs.

Has anyone else had this problem after leveling.
Sponsored links
Old 07-29-2013, 09:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

The whole truck being uneven is not pleasant to look at. I too wouldn't be a happy camper.

Side to side, front to back being off by up to 1" can not be a good thing for the under-body suspension components.

Like I said, I'm stumped on this one as I've never heard of it before. If you're adamant that your truck side to side and front to back sat even prior to the install, then it's obviously and installation and/ parts issue. The only thing that immediately comes to mind is two separate [different size] leveling caps were installed; either due to a product issue or and installation issue or - some how - a combination of both.

I'd pay another visit to the place of installation..... ASAP!

Keep us posted.

Grub out!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:23 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500, CC/6'4", Hemi/8 spd
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Flame Red
Rep:352
DAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really nice

I was just about to ask how much gas was in the tank before and after too...

I've seen a lot of coil sprung Jeeps with the lean. Some guys install spacers on the short side to compensate. Some aftermarket spring makers actually have R and L rear springs for the same reason.

- DAA
Old 07-29-2013, 09:25 PM

Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAA View Post
Not uncommon to see measurements change after cycling the suspension up and down to settle it a bit. I make it a habit to do that before taking any ride height measurements. Especially before/after measurements with a component install in between.

- DAA
I don't for a minute buy the 'settling' arguement that many whistle.

A solid leveling cap doesn't settle nor does it cause other suspension components to settle after installation. I've leveled many trucks over the years with solid caps, and have seen zero settling issues either immediately following or months/ years later.

We can agree to disagree.

Respect.

Grub out!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:35 PM

DAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
We can agree to disagree.

Respect.
Yes, we're going to have to. I've seen measurements change, before cycling and after. The cap obviously can't settle, but springs and shocks can and do. Especially after they have been fully relaxed and removed. Coil springs, in particular, ends don't always get seated fully during install, cycling helps them find home. But I've seen small changes on a rig that hasn't had anything done to it yet. Just walk up, measure, cycle, measure again and see 1/4-5/16 change.

- DAA
Old 07-29-2013, 09:42 PM

BTW... I've only installed two of the HBS leveling kits on 4th gen 1500's and the last one was over a year ago, but I don't think it would be possible to install one upside down? Seems like you bolt it to the top of the assembly w/the factory hardwarde and it has studs that go up through the tower? I might not be remembering that exactly right, but I really don't think you could put on in upside down.

- DAA
Old 07-29-2013, 09:46 PM

I believe you're right.

I've had Hell Bent a couple of times in the past and I too and pretty sure it's impossible to install upside down.

Grub out!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I have measured my truck like crazy the last few weeks in anticipation for the HBS leveling kit. I knew I should have installed it myself. Just thought I would give the local company some money since I just moved to town.

I looked up the weight of gas (8.66 lbs) and figured I have half a tank of gas (13 gal)...so that's 113 lbs. So I had my girlfriend sit on the back passenger bed and I measured it again...the damm height is now the same as the other side.

So I don't know what to think. I will still have the shop look at it in the morning.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:34 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutsinger View Post
I have measured my truck like crazy the last few weeks in anticipation for the HBS leveling kit. I knew I should have installed it myself. Just thought I would give the local company some money since I just moved to town.

I looked up the weight of gas (8.66 lbs) and figured I have half a tank of gas (13 gal)...so that's 113 lbs. So I had my girlfriend sit on the back passenger bed and I measured it again...the damm height is now the same as the other side.

So I don't know what to think. I will still have the shop look at it in the morning.

I know you don't want to hear this but it is the nature of the beast. Run your truck to near empty and then take an empty measurement. Then fill up and measure again. 8.66lbs per gallon multiplied by 32 gallons is 277+ lbs alone. Or a 26 gallon tank at 225lbs. Add the driver of say 200lbs and now you have one side of the truck carrying over 400-500lbs. That's a considerable amount of weight for one side, coilover/coil spring suspension and as such, is expected to compress as it's design intended.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I called the care place and they are picking up my truck to take a look to see what they can find. They will let me know. I drove it, jumped on the bed, and the driver's back is still almost 1" shorter than passenger back. I ran the gas to only a few gallons left and there is still the 1" difference.

It was level when I took the truck in there. I made sure to take measurements and pics before I go to any mechanic. I will let u know the final outcome here soon.

Thanks for the feedback guys.