DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Tradesman
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:26
toober is on a distinguished road
Default Plasti-Dip Difficulty

Am I the only person having trouble with this stuff? I tried to paint a custom antenna I made only to have the plasti-dip coat it very unevenly and with bubbles. I eventually gave up and painted it with real paint, flat black, one coat and done, looks good.

Now I'm trying to plasti-dip the little chrome nut at the base of the antenna (on the mount). It has three indents but it is screwed on so tight that if I try to take it off, I'm going to mutilate the thing. There is not enough room to slide index cards under it and the black cone under it prevents easy taping off because it is well, cone-shaped. Once that has been done, I go to spray it and too much comes out or sprays out an an angle. It's suppose to be light coats right? How do you light coat one spot? If I go left to right, right to left, I'm going to spray the heck outta my truck and I don't feel like rubbing off that much.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:45 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

There are many, many opinions, methods, and advice regarding plasti-dip. I am not an expert, by any means, however, I have racked up a few hours behind the rattle can. In my humble opinion, I think one good solid coat is the best method. I've tried the little bit at a time method; the 2 coat method; the 3 coat method; the 4 coat... I think you get the idea. I get the best results from a 1 good solid coat method. Can't speak for anyone else, just my results. That's all I have to say about that.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:34 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Tradesman
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:26
toober is on a distinguished road

Roger, how did you black the ram/border and white the background? This was my next project to two tone the ram. After all the trouble with one little spot of plasti-dip, I'm almost afraid of how a two tone will turn out.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:05 AM
God Bless Texas!

RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by toober View Post
Roger, how did you black the ram/border and white the background? This was my next project to two tone the ram. After all the trouble with one little spot of plasti-dip, I'm almost afraid of how a two tone will turn out.
On your truck, it's going to be really easy, on the front especially, and because your emblems are bigger.
My emblem on the front does not come off or apart. Yours does. Anyway, I sprayed dip on the entire emblem, then I took some color match paint, used a very fine brush, kinda like what comes in finger nail polish, and painted it. I also got some matte black paint to cover up my oops' when I got white on the ram. Took a fairly steady hand - at least 3 beers to reach that level of steadiness - a little time, and a little patience.
So, take your front emblem off and do it up. The back will be a little trickier. I took my tailgate off and laid it down to get it level and make it easier. I leveled my front emblem by raising the hood and climbing on a step stool.
Have fun with it and post up a pick or two when you get it done. Good luck!
Old 08-01-2013, 03:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2004 ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:17
kittpowell1 is on a distinguished road

I agree with the one shot route
Old 08-02-2013, 03:24 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:525
Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light

im so lost on how you guys think the one shot works!.. haha.
I can never get that to work. I start with on light coat, then work up to 4-5 heavy coats. Works perfectly to me.

about all that over spray? yes, you have to tape off quite a bit/ when i did my hood stripe, i basically had all of my hood taped off with computer paper.
plasti-dipped hood stripe, rims, mirrors,handles, emblems,
Green Interior LEDs
Old 08-02-2013, 06:25 PM
God Bless Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebestestdrummer View Post
im so lost on how you guys think the one shot works!.. haha.
I can never get that to work. I start with on light coat, then work up to 4-5 heavy coats. Works perfectly to me.

about all that over spray? yes, you have to tape off quite a bit/ when i did my hood stripe, i basically had all of my hood taped off with computer paper.
Here's my hood stripe with 1 good shot/coat.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:46 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT QC 4x4
Color: Mineral grey
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:109
Simple guy will become famous soon enoughSimple guy will become famous soon enough

for the antenna nut i'd use an adjustable spanner pin wrench.. for the custom antenna, i would have filled a container and literally dipped it; if it were a shorty antenna. It's called plastidip for a reason. was originally used to dip things in and came in regular type paint cans.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:05 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Rep:141
newfiebullet will become famous soon enoughnewfiebullet will become famous soon enough

i had no issues when i did my rims i couldn't get it to run, i started with a light coat to get a feel and then just buried it...never had any runs or spotting. did my badges and grill, chrome ring around shifter,tailpipes and antenna also with no issues what so ever.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:43 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:47
shears is on a distinguished road

I would say ya'll are ballsy for spraying one really thick coat but it's not permanent. If it ever messes up and runs, all you have to do is peel and repeat lol.

And to the original question.... You are going to have to tape off a huge section of the truck with newspaper or printer paper to prevent over spray. also now you can spray side to side to get an even coat since you aren't worrying about that darn over spray.

That's what I'm about to do to the antenna base. Why it turns grayish white so quickly we will never understand.
6" BDS Lift, 35x12.50x18 Nitto Trail Grapplers, 18x9 XD Addicts, FlowMaster Super 10, S&B Cold Air Intake, Solar Gard 20% window tint, WeatherTech DigitalFit floor mats, Debadged, Plasti-Dipped Grill and rear ram head emblem, Tow hooks
Taking Donations for more mods...