DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-29-2013, 10:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
pld is on a distinguished road
Default K&N drop-in AIR FILTER?

what do you guy's think and is it true from some test that k&n let's alot of dust into the motor? Recommendations? Thank's.
2013 black Ram Sport----------- CAI- T-304 polished Solo Performance Mach 40 system with resonator's deleted- 5"X12" MBRP polished tip's- Hemifever tune-BT catch can-180 degree T-stat-Ported 87mm throttle body-Cooper discoverer AT3 tires
Sponsored links
Old 07-29-2013, 11:15 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 QC
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:49
maw76 is on a distinguished road

As long as she's oiled up you'll be fine, never had any issues ever with dealer warranty work with k&n drop in on all my Chrysler vehicles

2000 tj 240k miles
2006 gr caravan 100k miles and still running like new
2007 jk 100k miles traded in for ram
Never an issue and all three had engine repairs and not a single boo about the k&n drop in ever.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:20 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

You'll always have nay sayers for any product and they can come up with fabricated data and tests. Just like some folks that bash Royal Purple, one of the best, if not the best synthetics on the market, IMHO. I've been running a K&N drop in for over 2 years now and love it. CAI doesn't get me excited, well, neither does the K&N, but I figure I'd spend the CAI buck on a better bang. Can't go wrong the the K&N drop in. Just remember to clean it at least twice a year.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 RAM Outdoorsman
Color: white&mineral gray
RamJay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld View Post
what do you guy's think and is it true from some test that k&n let's alot of dust into the motor? Recommendations? Thank's.
I have read some of those test results and they do make you wonder if the k&n is worth putting in,I had one in my Avalanche.If you drive in dusty conditions like dirt roads a lot you might want to think twice about it.The stock filters do a better job of filtering out the dust because the pores are smaller and oem's have improved their air box design to protect against potential warranty claims and allow more efficiency.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:44 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:65
0321Devildog will become famous soon enough

I've used K&N filters for the past 20 years in every vehicle I've owned, even in my wife's '04 Jetta. No problems what so ever and in every vehicle I've gained at least .5 MPG better mileage. I love them.

Devildog
Old 07-30-2013, 10:06 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:221
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

I read a pretty extensive test on air filters. I wish I had bookmarked it, but it was a diesel related forum I saw the test on, but I think it was a link to a VW forum or something like that. It was a pretty well done test where the can actually measure the amount of restriction and the amount of dust that was let through the filter. The truth is the K&N didn't perform well. Also the statement they make the dirtier it gets, the better it filters wasn't true. I switched the filter out on my K&N CAI on my Challenger to an AFE. The AFE performed better but it still wasn't as good as a factory setup.

There are also a lot of tests on the performance gain. Depending on what you read, the gain is small to nil.

Goggle this stuff and you will find a lot of reading.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:14 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 / 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Outdoorsman Crew Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:1043
gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of

If you stay with a paper filter there is no guesswork and that is why the factory's install paper filters. Not cost and they work very well keeping the dirt out.

If you go to a K&N filter you have to get the oil just right to have it perform correctly. You will lose performance (to much oil) or you get to much dirt getting past the filter (to little oil). Paper filters just work.

I have found that there is very little gain, if any, over paper filters unless you live in a dusty area and need to clean your filter often. JMO.

Your butt dino or bragging rights my be different.

Greg

Old 07-30-2013, 08:57 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Sport
pld is on a distinguished road

I'm going to stick with the stock paper filter, sounds like it's not worth the hassle and worry for more dust in the motor. Thank's
2013 black Ram Sport----------- CAI- T-304 polished Solo Performance Mach 40 system with resonator's deleted- 5"X12" MBRP polished tip's- Hemifever tune-BT catch can-180 degree T-stat-Ported 87mm throttle body-Cooper discoverer AT3 tires
Old 07-30-2013, 09:11 PM
The Sound of Eight Hooves

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Rep:519
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

I thought about a CAI or a K&N when I first bought my truck since my dad has the K&N drop in in his '09. Then I looked at the stock air box and told myself "if I keep the stock filter and also don't get the seat covers I had planned on, I can use the money I save for a new Sig!" So I decided to get the handgun instead.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:48 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram RT
Trim Level: RT
Color: Steel Blue Metallic
Rep:136
ValleyRacer will become famous soon enoughValleyRacer will become famous soon enough
Default Where do you come up with this stuff????

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld View Post
You do understand MILLIONS of people (me included) have KN filters on cars, trucks, motorcycles, RV's, boats, drag cars etc etc. Do you think those people are all idiots? Clueless, bamboozled?

KN have been around 30 years with a continuous profile of development, new products, upgrades, fitment, applications etc

Show me a "paper filter" outfit that comes close to that.

Where did you find (exact quote) ""Let's a lof of dust into the motor"

Utterly amazing.