DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-01-2013, 04:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram RT
Trim Level: RT
Color: Steel Blue Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:136
ValleyRacer will become famous soon enoughValleyRacer will become famous soon enough
Default Please be specific, interesting remarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamJay View Post
I have read some of those test results and they do make you wonder if the k&n is worth putting in,I had one in my Avalanche.If you drive in dusty conditions like dirt roads a lot you might want to think twice about it.The stock filters do a better job of filtering out the dust because the pores are smaller and oem's have improved their air box design to protect against potential warranty claims and allow more efficiency.
Please tell me what "pores" you refer to and the size of each.

Then explain how (exact quote) oem's have improved their air box design to protect against potential warranty claims and allow more efficiency

Fill me in, and everyone reading this, what warranty claim data you refer to. Please be really specific.
Sponsored links
Old 08-01-2013, 08:26 AM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM Big Horn 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:58
Spike will become famous soon enough

I have run K&N's in everything I have ever owned since 1994 and never hand an engine problem.

I ran a 5.0L Foxbody Mustang to 280k miles, drag raced and autocrossed it on weekends, and punished the crap out of it. K&N installed the whole time, no motor rebuilds.

That being said, on one vehicle, a 2009 Camary 4cyl, the K&N caused a unstable idle on occasion with the AC on. That is the only issue I have ever had.

Fuel economy is tricky though. On some rides, I saw a 1-2 mpg gain and on others, no gain at all.

Some vehicles ran better with them and some did not. I think it has to do with the quality of design of the air box more than the filter because if the engine is getting the air it wants, and of good quality, then you don't gain much by an aftermarket filter.

I will be ording my drop in filter for the Ram in a few months.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:22 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:217
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Here is a test from Bob The Oil Guy. Its not the test I was thinking of but it does show some results. Its not like K&N does a bad job, just not as good as stock filters. The test I had seen also showed the results of a dirty filter, and this is where the K&N didn't seem to perform as well.

You have to remember just because you have run a K&N for years and didn't have problems doesn't mean they are the best. I'll just say K&N has gotten a bad rep in the diesel truck forums, but I can't say if its fair or not.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:57 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express RC
Color: Black Express Package
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:62
RyanJM will become famous soon enough

I have a drop in and it seems better than the paper it came with.

2014 Black Express, 4.5" Maxtrac lift, Ballistic Razorback's 20x9, 35x12.5 Federal Cougaria MT's, DeeZee tailgate assist, K&N drop in filter, magnaflow 16" welded in, Diablo Trinity, 20% tint on the front and 5% on the rear glass, AVS Smoked Aeroskin, HID 3000k fogs, 6000k HID's in the projectors.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:03 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
pld is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyRacer View Post
You do understand MILLIONS of people (me included) have KN filters on cars, trucks, motorcycles, RV's, boats, drag cars etc etc. Do you think those people are all idiots? Clueless, bamboozled?

KN have been around 30 years with a continuous profile of development, new products, upgrades, fitment, applications etc

Show me a "paper filter" outfit that comes close to that.

Where did you find (exact quote) ""Let's a lof of dust into the motor"

Utterly amazing.
I agree, all my trucks have had K&N filter's with NO issues but you get bored on the computer and start reading chit about air filter's on other websites and most of them BASH the heck out of K&N;I don't know why.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:58 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I think the biggest advantage to the K & N drop in filter is the fact that you buy a single filter for the life of the truck, and depending upon how long you keep the truck you also purchase one or two cleaning kits..

I don't think I've ever since any sort of increase in performance or mpg on any of the vehicles that I've had one installed in. They all performed about the same as the factory filter, they were just more cost effective in the long run

just my opinion

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 08-06-2013, 05:59 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Outdoorsman 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black/Grey
Rep:25
Rah is on a distinguished road

This sounds far fetched but in the era of my 2005 someone said the drop in filter made the truck louder, just the drop in. I don't know if the filters the same size (it looks like it might be) but I might try the one from my old truck and see if I notice any differences in anything. I saw the gas mileage in my 2005 actually go down with it so I yanked it.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:53 PM

Vehicle: White 2013 QC 4x4 BigHorn
Trim Level: BigHorn
Color: White
Rep:14
Irv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld View Post
I agree, all my trucks have had K&N filter's with NO issues but you get bored on the computer and start reading chit about air filter's on other websites and most of them BASH the heck out of K&N;I don't know why.
Because they have been proven time and time again to be ineffecient at filtering air compared to OEM filters.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

Ever notice in their advertisements, they state "flow more air" but say nothing or very little to it's filtering capabilities?

I also love people who go on about Royal Purple and how good it is but have they ever done any UOA's or at least read some?

Up here in Ontario Royal P goes for $14.49 a litre on sale, which is at least triple the cost of another equal or sometimes even better quality oil.

What's the old saying, oh yeah, "Fools and their money are soon parted"
Old 08-06-2013, 10:43 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:29
J Roc is on a distinguished road

So everyone just runs oiled filters in every dirtbike since the dawn of time for fun I assume?
Old 08-06-2013, 11:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I was running a stock Ram with a regular Mopar Air filter, got 17.4 highway on flat land, no cross wind

I put in a K&N pre oiled air filter, got 17.4 mpg under same conditions

i left on this current vacation, same as every July/August
took out the K&N, saw it had caught a goodly amount of some blackish substance & didn't have time to clean it & let it dry out, respray some more oil, etc.

I vacuumed out the air box & wiped it down, lots of hay, bugs, etc
pulled my own version of a bug screen out from in front of the radiator, etc. hosed it off, re-installed it

I just went to Carquest, got a paper filter, dropped it in

took off on my vacation & i saw 20+ mpg, surely not because of the air filter
my Ram has 92,000 miles on it,
maybe the engine just needed time to break in

when i get back home, i will clean the K&N & it will go back into the Ram another time or two
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle