DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2014 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2014 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2014 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Dodg Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:148
JWM59 will become famous soon enoughJWM59 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona2012 View Post
I won't deny that I am obsolete and old school, but having to fully extend your arm to reach the selector is not ergonomically natural. My bet is that the center console shifter on the 8-speed returns within 2 years, if for no other reason than the obsolete and old school people are the ones who have the money to buy $50K+ trucks.
So funny. But yet very true! That's a bet I wouldn't take.
Sponsored links
Old 08-12-2013, 06:17 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodg Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:148
JWM59 will become famous soon enoughJWM59 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi View Post
dash knob = mini vans

Floor Shifter = Muscle Truck!

I love my Hurst, and need it to manually shift at the track
and use it for down shifting in the winter in my 4x4 (hate using brakes and ABS on ice/snow)

a dash knob on my 500HP Beast would suck!

If you're taking away my Floor Shifter I would want nothing less than steering wheel paddle shifters

...just like the new SRT8 Jeeps have with the new ZF 8 speed
I was wondering what a Hurst would look like in our trucks. Pretty Bleeping cool!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:31 PM

Vehicle: 2013 ram
Trim Level: laramie
Color: silver
Rep:10
rroberts6969 is on a distinguished road

What all this I read. All I heard for my last ten years working" Think out side the box" things need to change. I agree change is good most of the time.Lets give the shifters to the people who want them and also let them double clutch like the trucks in the 40 and 50'ds along with the semi's.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:21 PM

Vehicle: 2014 ram 1500 quad slt 4x2 b/h
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:40
Yankee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWM59 View Post
So funny. But yet very true! That's a bet I wouldn't take.
Me neither...couldnt resist....Im "of that age", and learned on a floor shifter with a clutch...drove several for years...THEN had to figure out what to do with my left foot...remember the "steps" somebody put in to rest yer foot on? hated the cars that had the shifter on the column, and the automatics of course, were mostly built that way....loved it when i got my first automatic with a floor console shifter....mentally it "felt right"...and id even downshift occassionally......would drive for hours with my hand on the thing...served no real purpose other than that...the shifter AND my hand, both....now, Im apparently gonna get the BIGGEST floor console in history.....hmmmmmmmm.....hehehehhe
Old 08-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Rep:23
Ramona2012 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spp View Post
Four letters are driving most of the decisions nowadays. I'll let you figure them out.

Hint: The weight of a knob and the assembly weighs quite a bit less than the shifter and associated hardware despite the fact both are electronically controlled transmissions.
The fuel economy improvement from the weight savings going from a console shifter to a rotary knob is negligible. They only reason they are doing it is to cut cost and find whatever opportunity to charge you more money (the 8-speed is an additional $500). As an example, the Fiat Co. removed the CD player from the Jeep Grand Cherokee in an attempt to save weight / improve fuel economy. It was a money grab because they immediately went ahead and offered a remote cd player as a $195 option. They decided that wasn't enough and upped the price to $295. Look at JGC inventory and at least half the vehicles have the remote cd included as an option. I bet the weight of the optional remote cd player weighs more than if it were integrated into the base radio. My bet is that the rotary shifter will return as an added-cost option, probably aimed toward the folks who drive with bulky work gloves that don't go well with a rotary knob.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:38 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of

The console shifter was the core reason I upgraded a year early. Not knowing if they were going to discontinue the 6 speed once the 8 speed was in full production prompted me to factory order a 13 with the 6 speed and my beloved console shifter. I will jump brands before I give up my shifter!!!! In 2018 when it comes time to upgrade again there better be a console shift option!!!

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:32 PM

Vehicle: 2014 ram
Trim Level: laramie
Color: Black Gold Pearl
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:10
mopar44o is on a distinguished road

Every car I've owned has either been a manual transmission or counsel shifter... My old lifted 96 xj was manual, my 05 srt 4 was manual, my current 95 xj im limping along until I get my new truck is counsel auto, my 71 440 charger is counsel auto.

Outside of my charger, if it's automatic I really don't care.. Hell if I could get the new ram with eco diesel and manual transmission with counsel / floor shifter I'd jump on that. But if it's automatic im not losing sleep where the shifter is...
Old 08-13-2013, 12:00 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:108
gwilburn will become famous soon enoughgwilburn will become famous soon enough

Two dealers told me (this weekend) that the 6-speed transmission will no longer be available in 2014. I'm looking at 2013's and was dead set against the rotary knob... until I drove the truck (I drove both 6 & 8 speed)... The console shifter is clumsy compared to most and (for me) too close to my elbow. The 8-speed feels so good that I'll have to get used to the dial.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:16 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black Gold / White Gold
Rep:264
Explorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the rough

All I know is once I've shifted my 8-speed into D I completely forget that I had to use a knob to do it, at least until I have to shift it back into P and even then I forgot how I got there before I even open the door to get out. I like the extra console room.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:51 AM

Vehicle: 2014 ram 1500 quad slt 4x2 b/h
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:40
Yankee is on a distinguished road

With all due respect, and allowing for individual taste, i dont understand alot of this...The plain fact is the vast majority of the time nobody is "shifting" anything...you put it in drive, and drive......all it is is a place to rest yer hand....Ill bet theres gonna be alot of folks whose hands are gonna be waving in empty space as they automatically reach for something that isnt there anymore...the engineers even figured out a way to compensate for not putting it in park when ye shut it down...having said that, it clearly IS something totally new (at least for me), and Im looking forward to it.....