DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, & Solutions - Maintenance & Repair > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change


Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
FGT Motorsport
Bayou Goat Mounts
Mopar Online Parts!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-14-2015, 09:23 PM
fielding99's Avatar
fielding99 fielding99 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: MI
Age: 22
Posts: 132
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Trim Level: Express Blackout
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
fielding99 is on a distinguished road
Default Chrysler dealer full synthetic?

Anyone have an opinion on the full synthetic Valvoline 5w20 used at Chrysler dealerships? Should I say forget that and go with mobil one or is the vavoline good stuff?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2  
Old 10-15-2015, 10:07 AM
RamTech's Avatar
RamTech RamTech is offline
Resident Technician




 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tennessee
Age: 45
Posts: 14,203
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep Power: 17
Rep:1909
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future
Default

Personally, I run Mobil 1 synthetic in my truck. Just be aware that not all dealerships use or carry Valvoline synthetic; most are using Pennzoil.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-15-2015, 10:09 PM
fielding99's Avatar
fielding99 fielding99 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: MI
Age: 22
Posts: 132
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Trim Level: Express Blackout
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
fielding99 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTech View Post
Personally, I run Mobil 1 synthetic in my truck. Just be aware that not all dealerships use or carry Valvoline synthetic; most are using Pennzoil.
The sticker they put in my window said Valvoline synpower 5w20. I would assume they didn't cheat me even if I did show up on a Saturday with no appointment lol 93$ for an oil change and tire rotation...normally I would do these things myself, but I really like the idea of everything being documented because I plan on buying this truck when the lease is up, it is helpful if I try to sell the truck, and for warranty purposes. But I hate paying so much for something that I could do, and enjoying doing, for half.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-16-2015, 07:38 AM
jjski78's Avatar
jjski78 jjski78 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 119
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Tequila Sunrise
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
jjski78 is on a distinguished road
Default

Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline Synpower, Mobil 1, as far as your engine is concerned they are all the same. They all meet the same API specifications, and you would presumably use the same weight no matter what brand. As long as you are changing it at the recommended intervals you're good. It's oil. Stop trying to complicate it so much.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-16-2015, 07:42 AM
sitedrifter sitedrifter is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 479
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2015 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: PXR - Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:16
sitedrifter is on a distinguished road
Default

My dealer uses 5166240PA which is 5/20 pennzoil as most dealer do.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-16-2015, 09:33 AM
fielding99's Avatar
fielding99 fielding99 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: MI
Age: 22
Posts: 132
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Trim Level: Express Blackout
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
fielding99 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjski78 View Post
Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline Synpower, Mobil 1, as far as your engine is concerned they are all the same. They all meet the same API specifications, and you would presumably use the same weight no matter what brand. As long as you are changing it at the recommended intervals you're good. It's oil. Stop trying to complicate it so much.
Yeah I've always been a mobil 1 nuthugger like a lot of guys are, I just plan on keeping this truck and its my first new vehicle so I want to make sure I get as much life out of it as I can. I figured its mostly all the same but the general consensus is typically "mobil 1 is the best" so I figured id ask. Thanks for the response
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-16-2015, 09:33 AM
RamTech's Avatar
RamTech RamTech is offline
Resident Technician




 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tennessee
Age: 45
Posts: 14,203
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep Power: 17
Rep:1909
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielding99 View Post
The sticker they put in my window said Valvoline synpower 5w20. I would assume they didn't cheat me even if I did show up on a Saturday with no appointment lol 93$ for an oil change and tire rotation...normally I would do these things myself, but I really like the idea of everything being documented because I plan on buying this truck when the lease is up, it is helpful if I try to sell the truck, and for warranty purposes. But I hate paying so much for something that I could do, and enjoying doing, for half.
You can do this yourself - just keep a record of when it's done and the receipts showing you bought the oil and filters. Writing the mileage on each receipt is a simple way to keep up with the LOF service and some people even keep a log book that documents everything they do.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-16-2015, 09:37 AM
fielding99's Avatar
fielding99 fielding99 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: MI
Age: 22
Posts: 132
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Trim Level: Express Blackout
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
fielding99 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTech View Post
You can do this yourself - just keep a record of when it's done and the receipts showing you bought the oil and filters. Writing the mileage on each receipt is a simple way to keep up with the LOF service and some people even keep a log book that documents everything they do.
I do this myself even if I do take it to the dealership. I just like having everything on file because Ive been burned on warranties before.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-16-2015, 09:39 AM
RamTech's Avatar
RamTech RamTech is offline
Resident Technician




 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tennessee
Age: 45
Posts: 14,203
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep Power: 17
Rep:1909
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielding99 View Post
I do this myself even if I do take it to the dealership. I just like having everything on file because Ive been burned on warranties before.
Can't say I blame you there. Covering your ass is never a bad idea.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:24 PM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors