DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, & Solutions - Maintenance & Repair > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
FGT Motorsport
Bayou Goat Mounts
Mopar Online Parts!

Old 10-14-2015, 09:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Trim Level: Express Blackout
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
fielding99 is on a distinguished road
Default Chrysler dealer full synthetic?

Anyone have an opinion on the full synthetic Valvoline 5w20 used at Chrysler dealerships? Should I say forget that and go with mobil one or is the vavoline good stuff?
Sponsored links
Old 10-15-2015, 10:07 AM
Resident Technician

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:1909
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Personally, I run Mobil 1 synthetic in my truck. Just be aware that not all dealerships use or carry Valvoline synthetic; most are using Pennzoil.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTech View Post
Personally, I run Mobil 1 synthetic in my truck. Just be aware that not all dealerships use or carry Valvoline synthetic; most are using Pennzoil.
The sticker they put in my window said Valvoline synpower 5w20. I would assume they didn't cheat me even if I did show up on a Saturday with no appointment lol 93$ for an oil change and tire rotation...normally I would do these things myself, but I really like the idea of everything being documented because I plan on buying this truck when the lease is up, it is helpful if I try to sell the truck, and for warranty purposes. But I hate paying so much for something that I could do, and enjoying doing, for half.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:38 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Tequila Sunrise
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
jjski78 is on a distinguished road

Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline Synpower, Mobil 1, as far as your engine is concerned they are all the same. They all meet the same API specifications, and you would presumably use the same weight no matter what brand. As long as you are changing it at the recommended intervals you're good. It's oil. Stop trying to complicate it so much.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:42 AM

Vehicle: 2015 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: PXR - Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:16
sitedrifter is on a distinguished road

My dealer uses 5166240PA which is 5/20 pennzoil as most dealer do.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjski78 View Post
Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline Synpower, Mobil 1, as far as your engine is concerned they are all the same. They all meet the same API specifications, and you would presumably use the same weight no matter what brand. As long as you are changing it at the recommended intervals you're good. It's oil. Stop trying to complicate it so much.
Yeah I've always been a mobil 1 nuthugger like a lot of guys are, I just plan on keeping this truck and its my first new vehicle so I want to make sure I get as much life out of it as I can. I figured its mostly all the same but the general consensus is typically "mobil 1 is the best" so I figured id ask. Thanks for the response
Old 10-16-2015, 09:33 AM
Resident Technician

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielding99 View Post
The sticker they put in my window said Valvoline synpower 5w20. I would assume they didn't cheat me even if I did show up on a Saturday with no appointment lol 93$ for an oil change and tire rotation...normally I would do these things myself, but I really like the idea of everything being documented because I plan on buying this truck when the lease is up, it is helpful if I try to sell the truck, and for warranty purposes. But I hate paying so much for something that I could do, and enjoying doing, for half.
You can do this yourself - just keep a record of when it's done and the receipts showing you bought the oil and filters. Writing the mileage on each receipt is a simple way to keep up with the LOF service and some people even keep a log book that documents everything they do.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTech View Post
You can do this yourself - just keep a record of when it's done and the receipts showing you bought the oil and filters. Writing the mileage on each receipt is a simple way to keep up with the LOF service and some people even keep a log book that documents everything they do.
I do this myself even if I do take it to the dealership. I just like having everything on file because Ive been burned on warranties before.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:39 AM
Resident Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielding99 View Post
I do this myself even if I do take it to the dealership. I just like having everything on file because Ive been burned on warranties before.
Can't say I blame you there. Covering your ass is never a bad idea.