DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-17-2015, 08:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram
Trim Level: laramie
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:39
dmac101 is on a distinguished road
Default good engine oil?

probably been beaten to death but was wondering whats a really good oil to run in a 12 hemi, i know 5w20 is a must but what brand exceeds the others

mobile 1, coop gold, amsoil, royal purple i have read that some people have claimed the hemi tick quieted down or the truck ran smoother, any truth to this. or is it like most say oil is oil?
Sponsored links
Old 06-17-2015, 09:02 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST Crew Cab 4x4
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:25
IBEW3 is on a distinguished road

I'd stick with the manufacturer's recommendation of 5W-20. This is a topic that you will receive tons of different opinions on with little proof of anything.
Do some research...Reputable websites (some listed below) basically state to follow the manufacturer's recommendation - but whichever oil you choose (conventional, synthetic, blend) follow the suggested change intervals for that type of oil. Ultimately do what makes you comfortable, but the old "3000" mile guide is arguably unnecessary for most driving categories.

Want to use full synthetic and change every 3000 miles?...Feel free to waste your money if it makes you feel better.

If you have an oil change indicator - follow that - it's a tool put in place by the engine's manufacturer to take the guesswork out of it. Oil color, smell and feel are not accurate indicators.

I use a synthetic blend and change mine every 6000 miles.

Here are some interesting articles...

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop...-your-oil.html

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...o/a53/1266801/

I'll prepare for the storm

Last edited by IBEW3; 06-17-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:17 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram CC with 8 sp
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Deep Cherry Red Pearl Gold 2 tone
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:13
77pw440 is on a distinguished road

I use Mobil 1 in all my vehicles with no problems. I switched to 5w20 Mobil 1 in my 14' HEMI with 1200 miles on the clock. Last oil change at 7,200 miles, did not use any oil. 03' Tahoe with 5.3L has 152K on the clock, I don't have to add any oil at a 6k oil change interval. Works for me!! I use K&N oil filters in all vehicles.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:42 PM

Vehicle: 2015 Ram1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Silver
Rep:10
fewacres is on a distinguished road

Pennzoil Platinum Ultra
Old 06-18-2015, 02:34 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:657
huntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fewacres View Post
Pennzoil Platinum Ultra
same here. havent notice a hemi tick yet.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:17 AM
USMC 0313

Vehicle: 2013 RCSB
Trim Level: Express
Color: SILVER
Rep:20
HammerHead is on a distinguished road

I think any synthetic oil is the way to go but more important is the filter. I personally would not put more than 3k on a paper oil filter. Amsoil and Mobil 1 full synthetic are the two oils I use With a royal purple oil filter. There is a guy on the other forum that put 14k on a royal purple oil filter and then cut it open and said it was like new. He did a good write up on it. As for the changing intervals, I'm stuck in the Stone Age at 3k on full synthetic
I went to 4k on my last oil change and it drove me crazy guess it's just peace of mind for me.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:27 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: True Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:20
4thmouse is on a distinguished road

Had it on my 05. Haven't had that issue on my '12. I from the start use Full Synthetic 5w20. I have a preference for Mobile 1. I don't use Synth because it nets me better mpg's (It doesn't) or even the longer oil change interval.
I use it for 3 reasons. One, because it has better flow characteristics in hot/cold as compared to dyno. Second its resistance to sludging in extreme/hot/low oil conditions. And the third reason being the extra detergents they put in full synth keeps the engine cleaner. I have seen plenty of proof to all three of these things.

As I stated earlier, I had the Hemi tick on my 05, But do not in my 12 and both got synth from the beginning. I do not believe it has anything to do with brand of oil or even if the oil is synth or dyno. The only reason I believe the synth Might be better at reducing the tick is because of the better flow.

In general though, most oil is oil, All of it even the dyno oil meets/exceeds most manufacturer standards. The real difference from oil brand to oil brand is generally in the detergents that are placed in the oil. And most oils as long as long as proper weight is used and regular (Around 5K miles) changes are done will do you just fine.

As far as the interval goes, I have seen oil test after oil test after oil test and even sent my oil to be tested about 7 times now and have never seen an oil that was to dirty or broken down to keep doing its job before around 5K miles. So my interval is around 5K to 6K miles.

On a side note to this discussion, A GOOD oil filter is a MUST!

Last edited by 4thmouse; 06-18-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:40 AM

Vehicle: 2011 RAM
Trim Level: Outdoorsman 4x4
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:15
Obsessed is on a distinguished road

I'm surprised so many people change their oil so frequently. My Civic called for 12-13k mile intervals (has an OLM), my Focus has 13-15k intervals (has an OLM), even the manual for my truck says 8k intervals. I don't plan on changing it any more frequent than that. The reason for the 3k interval was for conventional oil that naturally broke down. Synthetic oils don't break down...they simply get dirty, which is why a good filter is so important. I use Mobil 1 oil and filters in all my vehicles, and haven't had a single issue.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:21 AM

Vehicle: 2015 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
MuzzleFlash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed View Post
I'm surprised so many people change their oil so frequently. My Civic called for 12-13k mile intervals (has an OLM), my Focus has 13-15k intervals (has an OLM), even the manual for my truck says 8k intervals. I don't plan on changing it any more frequent than that. The reason for the 3k interval was for conventional oil that naturally broke down. Synthetic oils don't break down...they simply get dirty, which is why a good filter is so important. I use Mobil 1 oil and filters in all my vehicles, and haven't had a single issue.
Actually most "synthetic" oils like the mobil one you use is still a "conventional" oil. It is not man made. It is just a highly refined oil that has more additives in it. It is not the oil that breaks down. It is the additives that break down over mileage.

The conventional oils of today are actually more robust than synthetics of 10 years ago. The OLM's in our trucks and most cars are calibrated for conventional. Plenty of data out there shows that following the OLM even using conventional will allow the engine to outlast the body. As long as it meets the standards set by the manufacturer.

I use synthetic myself but only because I like using the "best" I can use. But I also know that it probably won't do anything more than make me feel better, since the guy using conventional will get the same longevity out of his truck if he follows his OLM like I have.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:48 AM

Vehicle: 2015 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
sitedrifter is on a distinguished road

I have been a fan of Pennzoil since my first car in 1983. I am happy Pennzoil is now OEM for Chrysler products.