DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Brown
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
RichardsonMedia is on a distinguished road
Default You are not going to believe this

I will make it as quick as I can -

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 4.7. It started running hot - so I started working my way through the system. Ended up with a new radiator - fan clutch - water pump - thermostat - radiator cap. Still ran hot.

One day it ran so hot that - by the time i got off the road - it would not start. so now a have a reman engine in it with 3200 miles. (Had 114K when i put the new engine in)

So - in replacing the engine they guy took off the a/c compressor. i just got the a/c charged yesterday - and now the truck is overheating again - unless i run the heater.

when all of this started - it got to a point where i had to run the heater all the time to keep it from overheating - then it got worse. so it seems like im at that stage again... just waiting for it to get worse.

What could be causing it to overheat? i burped it yesterday - and could see the coolant moving in the radiator. the radiator does not have any cold spots. one odd thing is when it does get hot - and i have to turn the heater on - it does not really seem very hot. sometimes the heater is extremely hot - but not when the truck is running hot.

anyone want to buy a truck with a new motor? ....cheap
Sponsored links
Old 06-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I think that i would find a real radiator shop
not a shop that also does radiators

have them check it out & give you a opinion
If they say that you need to get it cleaned out, they could be saying that you need to get a regular flush, or cleaned out with Steam
Actually i would have them inspect it & get an opinion
if they say that it needs some work
Pull the radiator yourself & give it to them
Let them ROD it out, which involves removing the tanks & running a flat rod through the water passages of the radiator core, then they put it all back together & usually paint it.
You then put it back in your vehicle & likely never have to worry about it again
IF on the off chance they can't fix the issue, try to get a new CORE through the radiator shop, not from your local parts store

Good Luck
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 06-06-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram RCSB
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Rep:33
MOFOGO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardsonMedia View Post
I will make it as quick as I can -

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 4.7. It started running hot - so I started working my way through the system. Ended up with a new radiator - fan clutch - water pump - thermostat - radiator cap. Still ran hot.

One day it ran so hot that - by the time i got off the road - it would not start. so now a have a reman engine in it with 3200 miles. (Had 114K when i put the new engine in)

So - in replacing the engine they guy took off the a/c compressor. i just got the a/c charged yesterday - and now the truck is overheating again - unless i run the heater.
If I understand correctly, you had no overheating with the A/C removed? And is that with the compressor OR the compressor belt off? Then with it reinstalled the overheating comes back? If so, I'd look at the clutch on the compressor to be sure it is engaging / dis-engaging properly and not creating excessive drag.
when all of this started - it got to a point where i had to run the heater all the time to keep it from overheating - then it got worse. so it seems like im at that stage again... just waiting for it to get worse. Also check your idler pulley, any drag on the pump drive can cause these kinds of problems.
What could be causing it to overheat? i burped it yesterday - and could see the coolant moving in the radiator. the radiator does not have any cold spots. one odd thing is when it does get hot - and i have to turn the heater on - it does not really seem very hot. sometimes the heater is extremely hot - but not when the truck is running hot.

anyone want to buy a truck with a new motor? ....cheap
If I understand correctly, you had no overheating with the A/C removed? And is that with the compressor or A/C belt off? Then with it re-installed the overheating comes back? If so I'd look at the clutch on the compressor to be sure it is engaging / dis-engaging properly and not creating excessive drag. And are you using a temp. gauge that you know is accurate? Also look for a collapsing radiator hose, I had this happen once and it took forever to catch. Good luck!

Last edited by MOFOGO; 06-06-2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Additional info!
Old 06-06-2013, 08:29 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodg Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:148
JWM59 will become famous soon enoughJWM59 will become famous soon enough

If heater is blowing cool when engine is hot sounds like a flow problem to me. Did they put the old pump on the new motor?. May be defective.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:32 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely have a flow problem if the heater blows cold. Could be your heater core is finished and its not allowing proper flow through the engine.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:44 PM
Z funambulist

Vehicle: 2012 1500 reg. cab 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3230
PaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOFOGO View Post
If I understand correctly, you had no overheating with the A/C removed? And is that with the compressor or A/C belt off? Then with it re-installed the overheating comes back? If so I'd look at the clutch on the compressor to be sure it is engaging / dis-engaging properly and not creating excessive drag. And are you using a temp. gauge that you know is accurate? Also look for a collapsing radiator hose, I had this happen once and it took forever to catch. Good luck!
X2 on the collapsed hose. I have seen this more than once. Also, are you losing any coolant? Are you running a 50/50 mix, or have you thinned it down to mostly water? Any antifreeze smell?
Old 06-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default thanks

the waterpump is new
the radiator is new
I didnt look,at the bottom hose but the top is fine
50/50 mix
not Losing coolant

the heat blows hot sometims. could there be an intermittent flow problem with the heater core? yesterday when I was burping it I had the motor running with the cap off. I could see the water churning.

if it were a flow problem turning on the heater would not make the engine get cooler would it

this really has me confused
Old 06-06-2013, 10:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default also

I forgot.to mention that the heater does.gurgle.sometimes
Old 06-07-2013, 06:56 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodg Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:148
JWM59 will become famous soon enoughJWM59 will become famous soon enough

If hoses are fine I'm still leaning toward pump. Maybe a bad batch out there. If it has a gasket make sure holes are where they are suppose to be and they are open. Try running without thermostat to see if that is the problem also. I have put quite a few new parts on vehicles only to find out they are defective.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default How would I check the lower hose?

Upper hose seems fine. can I just crawl under there and rev the engine and look for buckling?

The hose is about the only thing I have not replaced. That and heater core.