DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-06-2013, 05:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:465
Monster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse View Post
I swear I read 100k mile change in the manual. I'll look again, maybe that was the 6 speed.
The owners' manual says to change the transmission fluid at 60,000 miles if used for towing, taxis, police, or fleet. Otherwise, change at 120,000 miles. I couldn't find anything that singled out the eight speed.
Sponsored links
Old 08-06-2013, 09:32 AM

Vehicle: 2013
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black Gold Pearl
Rep:11
firemarshallvin is on a distinguished road

Just checked the OM and there is no text referring to the maintenance of the 8-Spd. It only discusses the checking of the fluid for the 6-Spd.

Add-ons:
14" Magnaflow, BAK FiberMax Tonneau, Misc Whelen Emergency Lights and Switchpak.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:52 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie Crew Cab
Color: Dark Cherry
Rep:162
anothernewb has a spectacular aura aboutanothernewb has a spectacular aura about

Our avalon has a trrans that's "lifetime fluid" and is a sealed unit. It now sits at 115k on the clock.

I dug on the web and found the access cap and popped it and checked the fluid. I will be damned if it wasn't in pretty darn good shape, I pulled a bunch out with a hand pump and the stuff looked really really good. Fluid level was also where it was supposed to be.
I did not do an analysis or anything on it.

I returned the fluid to the trans, sealed it up and am driving it till it pukes.

Livin life one truck payment at a time.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:02 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:74
AirborneSilva will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothernewb View Post
Our avalon has a trrans that's "lifetime fluid" and is a sealed unit. It now sits at 115k on the clock.

I dug on the web and found the access cap and popped it and checked the fluid. I will be damned if it wasn't in pretty darn good shape, I pulled a bunch out with a hand pump and the stuff looked really really good. Fluid level was also where it was supposed to be.
I did not do an analysis or anything on it.

I returned the fluid to the trans, sealed it up and am driving it till it pukes.
I'm not comfortable with that, if it had a lifetime warranty on the trans that would be one thing but after 100K you're on your own For me I think somewhere in the neighborhood of 30K I'll take it to a shop if I have to so I can get the fluid and filter changed just to be safe...

2013 Ram Sport
1976 Corvette L82

Old 08-06-2013, 11:55 AM

anothernewb has a spectacular aura aboutanothernewb has a spectacular aura about

It's kinda tough to think that way myself, but on the toyota forums there are a number of people that have successfully put some serious miles on without issue - I will grant though that it seems counter intuitive. The fluid has to wear and loose it's helpful qualities over time.

However, due to the setup, the average person cannot simply drain and fill these like the transmissions we are all familiar with. the filter is a simple (I believe magnetic) metal screen that is buried within the trans. In addition, the trans fluid is a special fluid to boot, (read $$$$) and the stealership has the only flush equipment. I went in to inquire as to a trans flush, and decided my first born was not worth the trade. So far, I have not been able to locate a transmission shop that carries the toyota global fluid, or has a dedicated machine. Apparently if you get this stuff mixed in with regular trans fluid, it does the same thing that the gold or orange antifreeze does when you get the green stuff in it...

Old 08-06-2013, 12:38 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:74
AirborneSilva will become famous soon enough

yeah I'm sure they make it proprietary on purpose, like HP used to do with their computers

2013 Ram Sport
1976 Corvette L82

Old 08-06-2013, 02:26 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Maximum Steel
Rep:39
tev9999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothernewb View Post
The fluid has to wear and loose it's helpful qualities over time.
Why? Modern technology and innovation is a wonderful thing. It is not a crazy thought that chemists have come up with new products that will not degrade. Transmissions are also now built with much stricter requirements - including cleanliness of the parts that go into them. Even a simple bolt requires cleanliness testing to ensure there are not metallic or non-metallic particles over XX microns. Opening up a sealed transmission in the wrong (non-cleanroom) environment to replace perfectly good fluid is likely to cause contamination that will cause more problems than it will ever prevent.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tev9999 View Post
Why? Modern technology and innovation is a wonderful thing. It is not a crazy thought that chemists have come up with new products that will not degrade. Transmissions are also now built with much stricter requirements - including cleanliness of the parts that go into them. Even a simple bolt requires cleanliness testing to ensure there are not metallic or non-metallic particles over XX microns. Opening up a sealed transmission in the wrong (non-cleanroom) environment to replace perfectly good fluid is likely to cause contamination that will cause more problems than it will ever prevent.
I see that side of it too. which is why I'm letting the fluid go and just keep driving it like we have for the past 7 years

Old 08-07-2013, 11:32 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

On the 8-speed trans, there is no dipstick or fill tube. Fluid level is checked by removing a fill plug on the passenger side of the trans. The level must be checked when the trans sump temperature is within a certain range (30-50C = 86-122F). Basically, you fill the trans (at that temp) until fluid is at the bottom of (runs out of) the fill hole.

Yes, the 8-speed trans is fill-for-life. The callouts for 60K / 120K service (in the owner's manual) should say "(six-speed automatic only)." You should not have to change (or check) the fluid level unless you notice leakage or trans malfunction.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:25 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black Gold / White Gold
Rep:264
Explorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the rough

Where is there documentation stating that the 8-speed is "fill for life"? I know my owner's manual doesn't differentiate between the 6 & 8 speeds so I would like something in writing from Ram to back that up. That way, if down' the road I have a transmission failure they don't point to my owner's manual and say I didn't change it at the recommended intervals.