DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 2500 Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
acasey is on a distinguished road
Default Chipping a Cummings diesel

My current ford is stock and I never chipped it because I was told it would void the warranty. I never asked the dealer that question, but since I am looking into getting the Ram 2500 Cummings and was wondering if I chipped it and mainly for fuel mileage would it void the warranty? The only other modification I would do is install a K&N filter. Does anyone have the right answer?
Thanks,
Alex
Sponsored links
Old 08-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 ram 2500
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: flame red
Rep:471
Kcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of light

it will void your warranty, corporate is pretty strict with the cummins. but there are dealers who will overlook some of that stuff. ask your local dealers what their policy is.

and more importantly its CUMMINS no g in there

6" BDS lift kit, BMF R.E.P.R, 37" toyo MT, recon cab lights, color matched interior trim, tinted tails, custom headlights, cjc off-road light bar, backrack, afe stage 2 CAI
sponsored by BULLY'S PERFORMANCE
Old 08-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1900
gonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant future

hahaha sorry couldn't get past the "Cummings"

but he is right ^^^^^
JVC Arsenal KD, Bilstein 5100 adjustables [maxed], aFe Stage 2 Air Intake, Superchips 3865, Husky Floor Mats, Saddleman Camo Seat Covers, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler SI/DO, 20 % Tint. 35x12.5x17 Federal Couragia M/T, 17x8.5 VTEC Warlord wheels, -12mm offest.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 2500HD
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:563
Iqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to all

But the act of putting a tuner is well worth the risk, insane power

To many mods to list ask and I shall give you all the information, and help I can.
Everything from outside to interior.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:40
Designflaw is on a distinguished road

MAds Smarty is all I got to say - no track in the computer, Can't beat the performance upgrade and they can't tell you did it.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Cherry Red
Rep:465
Monster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by acasey View Post
My current ford is stock and I never chipped it because I was told it would void the warranty. I never asked the dealer that question, but since I am looking into getting the Ram 2500 Cummings and was wondering if I chipped it and mainly for fuel mileage would it void the warranty? The only other modification I would do is install a K&N filter. Does anyone have the right answer?
Thanks,
Alex
The Magnuson-Moss act requires the manufacture to prove that any modification you did caused the failure. The burden is on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcbigbadram View Post
corporate is pretty strict with the cummins. but there are dealers who will overlook some of that stuff. and more importantly its CUMMINS no g in there
When I was still working in powertrain (not Chrysler) any powertrain warranty claims that came in for approval were reviewed and often the return of the engine controller was required for a forensics look and see before the warranty claim was approved. I doubt you will find many dealers willing to eat the costs.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:10 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

i don't believe there is a tuner out there that doesn't leave a foot print. all chrysler has to do is say the chip caused the damage and you will need a lawyer to prove other wise. even mod friendly dealers can only do so much these days to protect you. they are not going to eat a cummins re build for you. takes a good amount of mileage to break in a cummins, why not wait before you chip it. have you checked into the price of a rebuild.

a k&n air filter? you need to do allot more research before you start playing with your truck. i belive you nee a filter with a foam liner on it. last time i checked k&n didn't have a filter for a ram. the cotton will be fun to get out of your turbo and the rest of the engine though. again, breakin the engine and do some reading. lets take care of that 300000 mile torque monster engine.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
i don't believe there is a tuner out there that doesn't leave a foot print.
That would be incorrect. The Mads Smarty series downloads the entire program from your computer and replaces it with a modified version rather than a flash update of portions of the program or so that is my understanding. You must restore it to stock prior to going to the dealer and there is no footprint.

With my 2005 Cummins we tested this at a local dealer (friend was the service manager) Not even the Flash Count of the computer was changed.

http://www.smartydieseltuner.com/sit...5/page/3132264
Old 08-07-2013, 12:51 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Cherry Red
Rep:465
Monster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designflaw View Post
The Mads Smarty series downloads the entire program from your computer and replaces it with a modified version rather than a flash update of portions of the program or so that is my understanding. You must restore it to stock prior to going to the dealer and there is no footprint.

Not even the Flash Count of the computer was changed.
The computers on a vehicle have a small program in them called the boot loader. The purpose of this program is to allow the downloading of a secondary bootloader which takes control of the ECU for the purpose of reflashing. Each time this is done, a counter in EEPROM is incremented indicating a reflash. When I retired out of powertrain, the maximum number of reflashes was set to 255 before no more flashing could take place.

You can believe me or not, doesn't matter to me, but when I tell you that any altercation of the engine controller is noted in EEPROM of that controller. Even devices that trick the incoming air temperature sensor will leave behind a trace of interference in the computer.

I have had do several engine controller investigation before warranty repair could be approved. Not so much with the gas burners but every diesel engine warranty claim involve looking at the controllers history.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster5601 View Post
The computers on a vehicle have a small program in them called the boot loader. The purpose of this program is to allow the downloading of a secondary bootloader which takes control of the ECU for the purpose of reflashing. Each time this is done, a counter in EEPROM is incremented indicating a reflash. When I retired out of powertrain, the maximum number of reflashes was set to 255 before no more flashing could take place.

You can believe me or not, doesn't matter to me, but when I tell you that any altercation of the engine controller is noted in EEPROM of that controller. Even devices that trick the incoming air temperature sensor will leave behind a trace of interference in the computer.

I have had do several engine controller investigation before warranty repair could be approved. Not so much with the gas burners but every diesel engine warranty claim involve looking at the controllers history.

No reason not to believe you - You may be smarter than the service manager of the largest dealership in the state

We took a stock new truck he tested whatever the hell he tested, we downloaded the program, test drove it for a day (he did, his demo) we unloaded it, and he gave it to a tech to do a "Warranty Review" and nothing was noted, he ran it himself, and said that the average dealer investigation would never determine a programmer had been installed as there was "No Foot Print"

I'm not a service tech so I took him at his word and installed it on my truck. Never had any issue so I was never reviewed by a dealer so who knows.